“Excellent location in Medellin.”
Review of Hotel Plaza Rosa

and 1 more site!
Hotel Plaza Rosa
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you are visiting Medellin for the first time and want to stay in the best area and within walking distance from every restaurant and bars, the plaza rosa hotel is the best place to stay.

I booked the a room for 1 week at $56 bucks at day from Travelocity and it was a bargain.

The place is super clean and included a daily breakfast (buffet style ) but there was a cooked who could prepare omelette, eggs, etc. as requested. The food was fresh every morning and the staff service was impeccable during breakfast.

The hotel offered wifi for free and basic cable television in the room (not cable box) and 80% of the channels were translated to Spanish and the rest were subtitle.

My only BIG complaint was the bed mattress. I am not exaggerating when I say that the floor was softer that the freaking bed. Imagine you took a 8 hour flight from the USA to Medellin and you want to rest, but you cant laydown on the bed because your back, ribs and shoulders can't take any position on this bed. At first I didnt complaint and decided to suck it up, but I got so sick the third day that I needed to be in bed all day, so I asked for my bed mattress to be replaced for a softer mattress;which they did with out a problem, but the matress was slightly better. Everyday I was going to sleep late just to avoid spending to much time on the bed. I am not kidding , so please if you don't care much a bout comfort this is the place for you.

Lastly, be careful when you checked-out because they will put additional charges on your bill. Please review every charge and if you see something that you were not aware of you need to say this "remove this charge, I am not paying for this" ( do not use please, or could you).during my checked-out they wanted to charged me $20 bucks at day for room insurance which they claimed Travelocity made me aware of it and it should have declined during the purchased, but I told them that they should have made aware directly and verbally to me during the check-in process and not during the check-out process and demanded to removed those charges inmediately. They did but just be aware of this practice.

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here 5 days so expected more. Our first room was on the 6th floor-a basic room, but a nice view. The second night of our stay, the air conditioner became funky and nearly froze us to death - despite having it on a setting of 79F. The next night, the air conditioner didn't work at all. The next day it began making very weird mechanical noises. We kept calling the front desk to get help for this and other problems (light bulb didn't work in the lamp over the bed, we needed an extra chair, we asked for a lamp for one of the bedside tables (only one in the room). The staff kept saying they would send help "inmediamente", but never did. We got the lamp on day three, the light bulb on day 4, and couldn't get the staff to respond to the broken air conditioner at all. Finally, the manager came up and with the help of one of the lower level staff, we switched to another room (the first two alternatives they showed us were unacceptable - small, noisy, and one with a broken air onditioner!!, but the last one was ok. Getting it right after many attempts earns a point or two, but we really shouldn't have had to go through all this aggravation to get the basics of a decent room.. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I come here again. There are simply too many good choices in Medellin.

Room Tip: 8th floor seems to be the premium floos
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I felt that the pictures did not do it justice, this hotel deserves a much higher rating, I have stayed here twice and I Will be back !

A very professional and courteous staff is on hand to assist you, friendly, helpfull, considerate, several of the staff consider me as a friend and It will always feel like home.
The hard working housekeeping staff is very friendly, keeps things very clean and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome,

A lower restaurant with a beautiful courtyard complete with exotic birds and fish swimming in a pool tendered by a fountain surrounded by trees and foliage creates a very serene atmosphere were I have enjoyed breakfast and lunch on several occasions.

An upper restaurant, all "open air" which is graced by a mountain stream complete with a 5 foot waterfall creates a soothing atmosphere where I have enjoyed on a few dates by candelight, both restaurants with very professional staffs.

The Plaza Rosa is within Walking distance to the "Zona Rosa" a hot spot for night life complete with top notch restaurants and just a short cab ride to several Big nightclubs and the Sante fe Mall, one of Medellin's Largest and most luxurious places to shop.

I am counting the days until I return again !

Room Tip: Obviously, the Top floors give you the best view, a must for your first time in Medellin !
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan S
ecommerceoperar, Ecommerce Director at Hotel Plaza Rosa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Good day

We are absolutely delighted that your stay at the hotel was to his liking, because ourm service and professionalism by our guests is pleasant as you give us recognition, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Plaza Rosa Hotel won't win any points for decoration (although it wouldn't lose any, it's just not outstanding), but the service is excellent and the breakfast delicious. You can enjoy a sauna and gym and there's Wi-Fi and Cable in all the rooms. Basically it's a great option for people who aren't looking to splash out, but want something comfortable and with all the mod-cons. It's also well located near all the cafes, bars and clubs in Medellín.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Very good hotel.
They have a nice sauna, restaurant food is very good
Dry cleaning is a bit expensive and internet somewhat slow, although for emails and facebook is alright.

I leave the hotel 430 am to get my flight and, since I miss breakfast, they had orange juice and coffee to offer, very nice touch.

I will definitely come back every time I'm on medellin and will bring my family for summer vacations.

I'm from Argentina and stayed solo for 4 nights.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We had an 8th (top) floor room with a wooden ceiling that gave some character to an otherwise very functional room. The 3 most memorable things about the room were: the big window actually opened , the mini bar price for 375 ml of Baileys was $49,900., and on day two they removed the bed spread, and didn't give it back (who woudda thunk it?).

The salad and pizza at the main floor restaurant, with the river running through it, was very good. as was the service.

The staff were friendly and courteous. Not a lot of English spoken.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bifurcation
ecommerceoperar, DIRECTOR E-COMMERCE at Hotel Plaza Rosa, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Thanks for your comments and valuable insights about our hotel and we share with you that right now we are remodeling for to correct some of the flaws that currently have.

Best Regards.

JAIRO ARTURO SUAREZ B.
DIRECTOR E-COMMERCE
PBX.574-4481034 Ext. 156
CEL. 573187078470 - 57300-5172537
jairosecommerce@gmail.com
Skype: jairos.26

Reviewed December 28, 2010

TA does not give the option of half marks. If it did, I'd give this place 3.5, as it does not I have been generous and rounded it up to 4! The Plaza Rosa was suggested to us by Colombian friends, as a decent base to explore the city and surrounding area. As other reviewers have mentioned, it is in the upmarket Lleras/Rosa area near Poblado metro (fantastic steakhouse San Carbon is quite near). Downtown is a short subway or taxi ride away. The hotel itself is comfortable and reasonably well equipped, but not overly fancy, so don't expect 'boutique' style or excessive pampering, super plush rooms etc. However, all the basics were there, and the place was clean, hygienic and efficient. The immediate vicinity of the hotel is pretty tranquil and I had no problems with noise at night. We booked a twin and had a double room each and a separate lounge, so it was spacious. Total cost GBP30 (USD45) per night, incl a decent breakfast buffet in the hotel courtyard. The in-room equipment and furniture is dated but was functional, we were not there to hang out in the hotel all day anyhow. We experienced a problem with the toilet not flushing, and the staff were great and had it fixed straight away. Out of habit, I used the safety deposit box in the room, but did not feel like my belongings were at risk.
There are free internet terminals, and you get a complimentary drinks voucher for use at the hotel bar. (unusually for me, I ate once at the hotel bar out of laziness and the huge rainstorm outside and was not particularly impressed with the food). Overall we were happy with our stay at this hotel and would recommend it for those needing a functional and comfortable base in Medellin Zona Rosa. I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends