“Limited menu, limited space, very average”
Review of Aloha Bar and BBQ - CLOSED

Aloha Bar and BBQ
Cuisines: American, Asian, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A taste of Aloha comes to Medellin at Aloha Bar & BBQ in Parque Lleras. A fusion of Asian and American spices and prepared with a unique island flare,Aloha BBQ creates an incredible eating experience. Aloha’s famous “fall off the bone” RIBS are the best ribs in Medellin. Or you can try Aloha’s award winning pulled pork sandwich, teriyaki chicken and Kalbi steak dinners. Aloha is the only restaurant in Parque Lleras to serve breakfast, throughout the day (and night) For an eating experience and a taste of aloha, try Aloha Bar & BBQ - great food, super service, fantastic value, opens early, closes late, breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night dining or snack. You will be so happy you came you will leave dancing the hula.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Went for dinner, few choices on menu, ordered, pupu platter, mixed plate.... Food was quite ordinary, small portions.. The best part of the meal was the attitude of the young and very sweet waitress......Would not repeat.

jwmde, Owner at Aloha Bar and BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Profhet9fka
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Aloha Bar and BBQ. You are absolutely correct; we have a very limited menu as we choose to serve only the foods that we do well. While Aloha is disappointed that you thought our food was “ordinary,” it just goes to show us that we although we try, we cannot make everyone happy - you are the FIRST and ONLY person to ever say that our food was not good. With regards to the “small portions”, you ordered the Pupu Platter. A Pupu Platter is an APPETIZER entre (and listed as such) and almost EVERYONE knows that an appetizer is not expected to provide large portions of food or to be a complete meal. Many have told us that our Pupu Platter is our best value as it gives you ribs, a mini pork burger, a beef kabob and a chicken kabob, and all for under $8.00. In closing, we are sorry that you are disappointed but appreciate that we provided good service and that you liked our waitress.

There are newer reviews for Aloha Bar and BBQ

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I went to the restaurant looking for something different. It really was. The place is really small and not so comfortable, but it's ok. The ribs were really good as everyone else says, but I couldn't say they are the best in the world.
What it really surprised me was the service: the waitress was really annoying, stayed all the time at my side waiting for me to make my order, I couldn't decide clearly what I wanted but it seemed like all she wanted was that I left quickly so they could receive more people and sell more. So I did.
The owner seems like a good person and he comes to your table to check if you liked the food. It is a good thing, but the service is really important to me. I'm not sure why it's ranked 2nd in the list of the best restaurants in the city, but I wouldn't come back again.
I'm really disappointed.

jwmde, Owner at Aloha Bar and BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Apx2013
Thank you for your review of Aloha BBQ. We are always interested in getting feedback on how we can make things better. We are disappointed that you felt was that our service was “poor” but we are pleased that you thought our ribs were “very good.”
Service is very important to us, as important to us as the quality of our food. We teach our waitresses to be attentive and if her attentiveness was annoying to you, we apologize. However, if I had not made up my mind, I would have simply told her that I have not decided and will call her over when I did. At Aloha BBQ, we would rather provide more service than less, and rely on the customer to dictate the level of service they expect by simply telling the waitress to come back later. It has never been our policy to rush a customer regardless of the number of people may be waiting to be seated.
Aloha is consistently ranked as one of the best restaurants in Medellin because of our food and our service. The taste and quality of our food, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, cannot be found anywhere else in all of Colombia. Currently ranked #2 by Tripadvisor, Aloha’s food and service is second to none (as you can see by Tripadvisor’s “Rating Review.”)
Again we are disappointed that our waitress’ over attentiveness in trying to provide the best service possible was annoying. We would love to have you return and if you tell our waitress to leave you alone until you are ready to order, I promise you she will.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

After finding Aloha Bar and BBQ via a Facebook page and seeing how temptingly delicious the pictures looked, on my last full day in Medellin I and a friend went to visit for breakfast / lunch on a wet Sunday late morning. We were immediately greeted by a friendly English speaking gentleman, Jerry Wong, the owner of the establishment and we were seated. Jerry introduced us to his wife Sandy and his beautiful waitress Stephany. After perusing the menu for a short time I decided on the house breakfast specialty of the Apple Cinnamon French Toast and my friend went the lunch route ordering the pupu platter of deliciousness. We were both extremely satisfied with our choices so much so that we returned later that evening to sample other options on the menu. Later that night I ordered the combo plate with the excellent ribs and beef & chicken skewers. I have to say, both dining experiences were among the highlights of our visit to Medellin and I will definitely be returning in the near future.

1  Thank Kevin_SixOneSeven
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This wonderful boutique restaurant located next to Jaun Valdez has a perfect view of the park in the heart of Parque Lleras. Aloha BBQ's interior is sublime, reminiscent of Southern California spots I've enjoyed and is a perfect compliment to the delicious food the owners Jerry and Sandy Wong have waiting for you.
Although there are many fantastic selections on their menu I highly recommend you try the BBQ ribs, which literally "fall off the bone". Grilled over fired coals they are smoked to perfection and bathed in a delicious sauce, served with your choice of sides, they are without sounding cliche, the best in Medellin and quite possibly the best in South America.
Coming from the heartland of the United States, I was raised on BBQ in Saint Louis, enjoyed some of the best Kansas City or Memphis TN has to offer, etc., so I'm no stranger to compare these to quality BBQ.
The prices at Aloha are very reasonable and considering you're dining in ground zero of the hot spots in Medellin, it's a bargain. With all the activity walking right past their steps you may find yourself sitting back and enjoying the view, though whenever you're ready to say goodbye you're just steps away from all the action. As the memory of your delicious meal lingers though, it's no surprise you'll be saying hello again to Jerry and Sandy before long.

1  Thank Bill W
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed lunch with our friends at Aloha BBQ yesterday. It is almost impossible to find decent barbecue, so Aloha is a welcome addition to Medellin's Parque Lleras dining district. The restaurant is strategically located in the east side of the park overlooking the other restaurants and bars.

Aloha Bar Barbecue is situated inside a small two-story commercial space. The décor of the restaurant is comfortable and functional. A spiral staircase leads to the second floor where there are additional dining tables. There is limited outdoor seating which overlooks the park.

The owners, Jerry and Sandy Wong, do an excellent job of making their guests feel welcome and comfortable at Aloha. Behind the scenes, Sandy performs her magic on pork, beef and chicken and creates gourmet barbecue dishes that are delicious and memorable. I had previously tried Aloha's BBQ pork at a catered party. The pulled pork sandwich accented Hawaiian teriyaki sauce was incredible. Yesterday, I tried the full platter of BBQ pork ribs. The ribs were the best I have tasted in Medellin. The ribs were meaty and thick and pulled right off the bone. The special Hawaiian BBQ sauce gave the meat a needed kick. My wife enjoyed her platter of pork, beef and chicken kebobs.

The total cost with drinks came to COP$ 83,000 for 4 of us (roughly $43 US). This is very economical for lunch in Parque Lleras. I expect we will be "regulars" at Aloha. If you are in Parque Lleras, I highly recommend a trip to Aloha, say hello to Jerry and Sandy, and enjoy an outstanding Asian-American meal.