Ibis Medellin
$193
$188
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Du Parc Royal(Medellin)
$99
$87
$68
$75
1,188 results
All reviewsmuseum of modern artdel riorooms are smallsoap shampoobar is open hoursduvet covertwo metro stationspay up frontupper middle classstorage spacebusiness areatop sheetguest servicesinternational standardstaxi ridecomfortable bedplace to sleep
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am in Medellin often. In fact, I am returning tomorrow, and will be checking into the ibis for another week.

Unlike Bogotá, despite trying countless "5 Star" hotels in Medellin, I have been unable to find one single hotel which has reliable, high speed internet capable of accommodating my VOIP phone service. The ibis at least has reliable internet for computer access. They did not when they first opened, but it has now been corrected.

One thing I love about ibis is that the water in the shower is hot when I turn it on. I'm not sure how they do it, as it isn't a heated shower head, but rather a ceiling-mounted rain style head. Not having to wait to get the temperature right saves me a lot of time.

The rooms are small and simple, but modern and practical. There is nothing elegant about the ibis, but it has a very well thought out room floorplan which gives me plenty of space for my clothes, toiletries, luggage and a small cooler I carry with me for my Gringo decaf beverage preferences.

There is no ice or vending on the floors, but I always have the cooler filled downstairs at the snack bar, for which I always tip $2000 COP (about $1) which gets me quick service every time with a smile.

The restaurant at the hotel is not bad, but I prefer some of the local eateries, most of which are new. For breakfast, I can't live without the "Juevos revueltos con jamón y tomate con quesito," at El colmado directly across the plaza in front of the hotel/ That's scrambled eggs with ham and tomatoes with a side of soft cheese. They will serve it with bread or arepas (the local baked specialty). If you like spicy sauces, their "ají piquante" is among the best I've had.

There are more restaurants there in the same building, another on the side street and some newer ones behind the hotel. The Centro Comerciál Premium Plaza is within walking distance (recommended during daylight only), and there you'll find lots of shopping, fast food, more restaurants and a Jumbo discount grocery store.

Nothing in Medellin is very far, as it's a pretty compact city, and cabs are cheap. You can get anywhere you want to go pretty fast if it isn't rush hour, and it will never cost much. Hotel ibis is pretty much in the center of the city.

You can pay more, and if your experience is like mine you may end up with slightly more elegant surroundings with more space, but if you can live without room service and some other amenities of more upscale hotels, this is your place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Gringoscazu
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your appreciation, and of course for gving us the pleasure to serve you everytime you come to Medellin. Of course, there are some standards of the brand that we cannot elude, but we hope to see you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Clean, decent breakfast, helpful staff. Located closest to Industrials Metro stop but a hike to get there. Directly across from Modern Art Museum (currently closed). Good reasonable eating options right behind the hotel or snacks across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on side with with view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again at our hotel!

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotels two days. It was accessible via metro a little out of the way for taxis to access the main roads but it had good value and it was quiet and clean. The beds are comfortable but the rooms do not have tubs. The rooms are very small there is barely space for the beds, the rooms have built in desk and on small open closet. The room do come equipped with a safety box.

The area is a few steps away to restaurants (which are good restaurants) and across from the museum of modern Art. The museum is nice and the work in it was worth the visit. it is not that big so the visit can take you 45 minutes to an hour. From this hotel you can have a pleasant walk to a mall. I am told that the area is safe to walk during the day (by the main roads) but absolutely not at night for there are some not so nice neighborhoods a couple blocks away in back of the hotel. On the first floor they offer a very tinny area to eat (I did not see a menu or any advertisement to their offerings) and a very tinny and not very comfortable reception/bar. The drinks are very limited at the bar and they do not keep a tab. It is not an inviting experience. This is a place to sleep and not linger for there are no open or pleasant spaces to relax or do any work not even in your room. This hotel was not made for comfort and absolutely not for families. It seems more apt for single men on a short business trip and in a hurry.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for your comments, it´s very nice to hear good reviews from other countries. We hope to see you again in your future trips to Medellín.

Have a great day,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Spent three nights here with spouse at end of our 2 week vacation in Colombia. Checked in with Laura who speaks perfect English. Was friendly and efficient.

Received room 415, a king bed. Room size is a tad small for two people, but otherwise has everything you need for a comfortable stay except an alarm clock, wash cloths, hand towels, bath amenities, electric water kettle (for coffee/tea making), and a comfortable chair. Oddly, for a hotel seemingly committed to conservation and protecting the environment, the only trash can was in the bathroom next to the toilet-forcing us to commingle our waste with our paper, glass, etc.

Here are the pros: flat screen TV; large safe that holds laptops, tablets, and much more; excellent light making reading in bed possible and enjoyable; right across the street from the Museum of Modern Art; friendly and capable staff; cafe/bar in lobby with reasonable prices; restaurant on mezzanine with reasonable prices. Pastas are about $15,000 COP. Buffet breakfast is $12,000. Two computers with printer available for free guest use (get 30 mins password code from front desk) and free wifi in your guestroom. We had two devices and received two codes for use in our room. Just ask and ask nicely, they're happy to accommodate you. Odd numbered rooms have a better view looking south and towards the Poblado Metro. Exito Express grocery store is a block away selling all manner of fruits, vegetables, snacks, beverages, breads and more. Larger Exito store is at Poblado Metro. There's also a Subway restaurant and lovely bakery in the building next door to the Ibis to the north. There's another bunch of restaurants in the building across the plaza to the south.

Cons: no washcloths, hand towels or bath amenities (only two liquid soap dispensers-one by sink, the other in the shower); limited space and seating in the room with an office chair and padded bench that doubles as a luggage rack. Just know you'll spend your time sitting on your bed if there are two of you. While there's no kettle in the room, the bartender in the lobby was always happy to give me a cup of hot water so I could make a cup of tea or instant coffee in the room.

We took the bus from MDE airport for $8,600 each to San Diego Mall (Centro Comercial San Diego) and then took a taxi for $6,000 to the Ibis. On our way out of town we took a taxi from the Ibis to MDE airport for $60,000 at 6:00am. This was a flat rate.

We were quite pleased with our stay at the Ibis and should we return to Medellin we would certain stay here.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

There are no better words to describe our hotel and the surroundings. Thank you for taking the time to write it down for the other guests.
Hope to see you again at Ibis Medellín