“Good for Business... urges a remodelation!”

Ranked #13 of 105 Hotels in Medellin
Barranquilla
“Good for Business... urges a remodelation!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is the most traditional hotel Medellin has, where most of the businessmen stay. The place has a good restaurant, and decent room service. You will always count on a cab outside the Hotel, and its on a good spot to run to the airport.

Except for less than ten rooms that have been refurnished, all the hotel has a creepy 80´s look: its long hallways will surely remind you of The Shining (movie).

Room Tip: Try to get a refurnished room in the 6th floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lucas M, Training Coordinator at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Fabian G

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior.

InterContinental Medellin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

A little bit more on the outdated side, it's a classic hotel but it desperately needs a facelift, specially with those rates.

So if you are looking for modern, contemporary, this is not the place.
If you like a 5 star hotel from the early nineties, this is a good choice!

Also if you travel w kids, there is not a bigger pool than this one. It has that charm from old hotels.

Service is impeccable.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear JGVIANA

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

It was definitely not the type of InterContinental I stayed at in Asia, but the service made up for the other issues. The hotel looks pretty sad from the outside and it is on the way into/out of the city on a hill. That gives some nice views of the city, but also means it is remote from all the nice places in the city. The rooms are dated, but comfortable. I enjoyed the free fruit most. The first night I stayed the room was close to the road and I heard traffic all night. The second night was better as I was in a different wing. The breakfast was not my favorite (no salmon?:), but free and decent. But I'd say the front desk service was the best...and I'd give the whole place 4 stars. (The restaurant across from the hotel - Hatoviejo - is a highlight!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ruchei

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to all the staff because every time I stay in Medellin I get the royal treatment from everyone. Special thanks to Mr Diego Gomez who makes sure that I am not another guest but a part of the family here at the intercontinental. The room service is delicious and very courteous, and even though I've stayed at 5 other 5 star hotels in Medellin I would never change my intercontinental experience here in Medellin.
Eduardo from Tampa

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lucas M, Case Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Eaduardo P

LucasMunoz
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've always recommended this hotel but my current visit is very worrying. One, it's empty, two the la cava restuarant is closed, three the tumble weeds blow through the bar in the evening. And then there's the Club.
The Club used to be one of the hidden secrets of this city. Somewhere to go for a pleasant breakfast and a drink in the evening. With a lovely deck and views across the city it was worth the extra for a Club floor room or as a ICH club perk.
It was changed a while back and some of the charm removed. Now it is closed for any excuse and the drinks left in the evening a sad apology. The open bottle of white wine would have been better for making a salad dressing. Very poor. Laid out food was replaced with a small menu of items to order but it looks like cost cutting and a lack of frequent guests. The latter is very worrying.
The Club floor is the only floor not requiring key card access in the elevator and that was because the Club attendant would sit in the floor lobby welcoming and monitoring access. Now they've been relegated to an office down a corridor. No welcome and the least secure floor in the hotel.
The staff continue to be excellent and many familiar faces remain. However after dining in the Fogon restuarant one evening we got a call asking how much cash tip had been left. It appears a member of staff had not placed my tip in the jar. So not a happy place and perhaps a call or inquiry that could have awaited the morning.
I have a booking here over Christmas but I think I will need to move it. Something is amiss here and the recent ratings suggest common experiences.
I am truly sad about this stay. Some of the staff here I'd consider friends who have welcomed me many times. Parts of the hotel are tired - the recent room upgrades only papering over the wider issues. With the distant location increasingly an issue with medellins ever growing traffic jams hotel management (or the owners) need to move with some rapidity.

Room Tip: Long walks down the fingers of the building get you suites with a corner view but the worst wifi. C...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hanna D

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you InterContinental Medellin is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the (Fill in the blank) Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details.

I would very much appreciate you send us your email address with the details of your concerns so we can plan to avoid future dissatisfaction in the future and to meet your expectations next time you visit us. Again, I would like to apologize and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe we can only improve and improve our services through our guest feedback.

We are looking forward to receiving further details in regards to your recent and stay as well as welcoming you back at the InterContinental Medellin

InterContental Medellin
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very high prices for small,dirty old fashioned bedrooms with old furniture!
The pink carpet is dirty, I change bedrooms and the second one was in very poor condition as the first one,the first on 4th floor the second on the 6th floor.
The telephones in the bedrooms doesn't work and cleaning staff will knick at your door early (7am) to ask if you are leaving soon.
The staff is very nice,the restaurant overpriced but clean and good food.
They said are in the process to renovate but I stayed for a week and didn't see any work.
The "business center" in the 7th floor is a whole mess, smells horrible.
I do not recommend it! Go to a different place.

Room Tip: There is no good room,this hotel is super old.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear

I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay.

We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be thehotel in town. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Case Manger
InterContinental Medelin
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is supposed to be a 5 star one, but to tell you the truth it is nothing even close, the rooms are old, service deserves 3 stars and you find nothing in the breakfast buffet, most of them are bread! Price is pretty expensive and the transportation is not convenient at all, don't recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank thomas61416
Lucas M, Case Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear thomaswong416

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you the Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product.

We’re sorry you received service or quality which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.