“not your usual elegance at InterContintinental Medellin”

InterContinental Medellin
Ranked #14 of 105 Hotels in Medellin
Bethesda, Maryland
“not your usual elegance at InterContintinental Medellin”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

the hotel is in serious need of updates/remodelling. Restaurants and rooms are tired and outdate, as is general image of the hotel. Staff means well but doesn't seem to have the level of service and sophisticacion of other IC properties. Its an OK place for a business stay, but I've seen much nicer ICs..

Room Tip: get a room facing the back of the hotel. the front is a bit noisy due to major street that runs in f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank olsensusan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear olsensusan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. I want to assure you that your comments about the rooms have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Janice A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Check in is average to say the least. There is no recognition for Platinum, no upgrade.
The hotel needs a refit, it looks & feel very tired.
Breakfast was ok at best. Checked out the restaurant, decided to eat out, good call.
Would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear jtwmusic,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and taking the time to leave our property a review. I am glad that you found our location nice enough for your needs. I apologize if your stay was negatively affected by the experience at check in. I will follow up with the front desk staff to ensure similar incidents could be avoided in the future.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed 4 nights for business. Service was great. Grounds and pool area are maticulously maintained. Try a pizza in the restaurant that overlooks the pool.

Transportation arranged by hotel was great. Free Internet. Room very clean and upscale.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
torresjor, Hotel Staff at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear BIG_SOS

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best InterContinental Hotel. the Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It is always hugely motivating when we read this comments. We really appreciate your comments. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here for just one night during Feria de las Flores. Found a very decent rate ($200K pesos) and decided to give it a chance as many better located hotels were sold out for the Feria.
Very dated lobby and facilities... room was comfy and renovated, no issues there.
I was on the 4th floor (out of 6) and expected a view.... to my surprise, they are building a huge building right in front which totally killed the views from this hotel.
You have to take a taxi ($USD 3-4) to get anywhere.
There are hotels in a better location down by Av Poblado and CC SantaFe.
The morning of my departure, one of the concierges told me he could book a private sedan to take me to the (very far) airport for $65K pesos that evening...upon my return, nobody could give me info about that service even though the sedan was parked outside... I had to take one of the flimsy and dangerous looking city taxis in what is a very curvy and dangerous road and it costed $57K which is very expensive for Colombia.
No reason to stay here again with the wonderful offer of hotels in Medellin, and now without the view, the IC is really a thing of the past.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear ranger22miami

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the InterContinental Hotel. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The hotel did not honor our reservations upon arrival. We had booked two rooms 11 days in advance. They said they had no rooms!! They pushed us to leave. Nobody ever made an apology at all. The management is absolutely poor, unprofessional and rude. Finally, after a couple of hours negotiations around midnight, they gave us a suite to share, which was very inconvenient because we had a couple in our group. Upon our return to the hotel one night later, I learned my money was stolen from my room while we were out. For the rest of the stay, I had to cancel my business meetings and spend my time with the security guys and managers and going to two police stations without any resolutions except having a police report in my hands. There was a daily insurance charge to my room, but that didn’t pay either. Nobody took any responsibility and the management of the hotel was totally careless and disappointing. They even accused my old and known friend of sealing the money while they were out with me at all times. They didn’t even apologize for anything at all. The money was stolen directly as a result of their extreme poor management. They mentioned they are independent and don’t care about online reviews or complaining to the headquarter! I still contacted the headquarter for so many times as of today, and unfortunately, it seems they don’t care either. The internet in the room was too slow and annoying and had to go to the business center. The air conditions of the room was also broken and I caught a bad cold. I honestly and truly was suffering during my stay at this hotel for 3 days. You would be treated much better by going to a cheap motel than this hotel. Choosing this hotel was the biggest mistake I have done in my life regarding hotel experience, so please be careful with this. I travel for business every month and have been in so many different hotels and countries, but something like this had never happened to me even at the cheapest hotels.

Room Tip: Watch your money and personal belongings if you still want to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank P2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear P M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay. We are sincerely concerned when situations like these occur, and would like to investigate further. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional information about your stay.

Myrna M
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Generally a good experience the staff were excellent and happy to offer advice - helps a bit if you speak some spanish, but non-Spanish speaking guests seemed content as well. Rooms were are good, but average for an Intercon. Bathroom was nice but a little tighter than others in this class. Shows a little age. Restaurant and bar were both excellent with staff happy to accomodate the occasional request. Breakfast was very good, juice and fruit (not surprisingly) were both excellent. Location is very convenient for either getting downtown (be careful if you are new to Medellin) or to restaurant/nightclub areas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Forca_Barca

Thank you so much for your recent comments. I'm trying to understand what situations took place that left you feeling disappointed with our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.
Naperville, Illinois, USA
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I had a day of meetings in Medellin and my host recommended I stay at the InterContinental Hotel. I spent two nights here; the hotel is very nice, the staff was friendly and welcoming, and I would recommend it.

My room was a normal sized room with two twin beds, good shower/bath room, mini-bar and free Internet (wired and wifi); the Internet did not work with my company VPN. The TV had a good collection of international content including the Olympics and english speaking CNN. My bed was nice, but a little firm for my taste. I had a view of the fountain courtyard entry way and the highway.

The hotel had a gift shop where I bought snacks and water. The Brasserie on the low level served a fantasic breakfast. My hosts were proud to tell me that my hotel once hosted the King of Spain during a visit within the last year.

This hotel is very nice and on the expensive side. I normally would have stayed at a less posh destination. Having said that, this last week, Medellin was hosting Fashion Week, Colombiamoda XXIII, and my arrival was the first day of the Flower Festival / Feria de Las Flores. So hotel rooms were hard to find and I was happy that I ended up staying at the InterContinental Hotel.

Just so you know... the Feria de Las Flores was everywhere. The Santa Fe Mall on El Poblado Avenue near my host's offices was beautfully decorated... lots of community pride!

The hotel is in the El Poblado area just off the Via Las Palmas highway. This is a major road that you follow to get to the airport. Just a short ways South on Via Las Palmas, there is a beautiful lookout point where you can see Medellin. My host took me here at night and it was breathtaking! It was a popular spot with lots of other people enjoying the view, too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jkozik
Dear jkozik

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations.We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior. The Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We hope to have the honor of serving you again. Thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.