“Fine Italian cuisine in an informal setting.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toscano

Toscano
Ranked #4 of 1,087 Restaurants in Medellin
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Panama City, Panama
“Fine Italian cuisine in an informal setting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Some people need to be in a fancy or expensive palace to feel it's worth it. For me, it's all about cleanliness, service, and the cost/benefit ratio of the food you get. This place has the feel of a small Italian trattoria. We were greeted by the owner how is 100% Italian (failed to ask from what region). He was very attentive and shows he really cares about his business.

The food was served rather promptly, but you could tell everything was freshly made. I had pasta Toscano and my friend a pasta frutti di mare and they were both absolutely delicious. I saw they also had an interesting lunch menu special (from 12 till 2 p.m. on weekdays) that had various options.

In my opinion, this is a very nice Italian option in El Poblado. Didn't try the pizza, but I saw other tables ordering them, so I guess they are also in high demand.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Alberto G

San Antonio de Pereira, Colombia
“Decent Italian Fare at Bargain Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I joined a friend at Toscano for lunch yesterday. It is an unpretentious little Italian restaurant tucked away in the quaint Provenza entertainment district of Poblado. Toscano is a perfect venue for a quiet lunch or dinner with someone special or a group of friends. There are several tables (outdoor café style) on the sidewalk. The owner/chef/manager originally hails from Italy... so the food here is as genuine Italian as one can get in Medellin, Colombia. The courteous, prompt service is worthy of mention. There were four other American ex-pats dining at the restaurant, so that was an immediate tip off that the food must be agreeable to the American palate. The restaurant is clean and tidy. I was pleasantly surprised that the bathroom included a commode with a full toilet seat. (Commodes with seats are somewhat rare in places of public accommodation in Colombia).

The menu includes a broad selection of Italian-style pastas, meats and poultry. Pizza is on the menu as well. The 13,000 pesos ( $6.50 US) lunch menu caught my eye. It included a variety of pasta dishes. Along with the entrée, a bowl of soup, fresh juice and dessert are included in the price. It's hard to beat a deal like that! I ordered spaghetti Bolognese, one of my favorite pasta dishes, and a bowl of crème of mushroom soup. The soup was superb... very subtle, but savory and full of taste. My entrée appeared very appetizing, and was obviously made from scratch with fresh ingredients. I savored the soup, and then turned my attention to the Bolognese. I slowly twirled the thin spaghetti around my fork and took the first bite. I was mildly disappointed in the lack of flavor. I tried a few more forkfuls, but to no avail. The sauce was very weak... missing the garlic and Italian spices I love so much in flavorful pasta sauces. Nevertheless, I finished most of my entrée, but lamented on what "could have been". My wife was feeling my pain, and decided to share one of her spinach and ricotta cannolis with me. Wow... what a difference! The pasta cannoli was tender and full of flavor... simply superb. If it had not been for sampling the cannoli, my food rating of this restaurant would have been less than the four stars. My strawberry/passion fruit juice was refreshing and delicious as was the strawberry tart dessert that topped off the meal. OK, maybe it was an "off-day" for spaghetti Bolognese. I am willing to give this place another shot to show me what they really can do with other selections on the menu. (Maybe I will order the pasta cannolis the next time.) Not a bad meal for 55,000 pesos ( $28.00 US) for three people... an excellent value. I recommend giving Toscano a try.

• Visited January 2014
Olympia, Washington
“Good, But Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have eaten a lot of Italian food in our lives, having lived in Italy for several months. On the one hand, we don't want to discourage travelers from going here as the food is passable. However, the food is just that...average, and nothing to rave about. The pasta and salads were not that "authentic" as some other reviews have indicated. The location is in a peaceful neighborhood and does have a relaxing feel to it. Service was good and the prices were fair.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank savvy2olympia
Lima, Peru
“Really good, authentic Italian food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

This small, unpretentious restaurant in the Provenza área of Medellín is not to be missed. Outstanding food served as if you were in the house of an Italian grandmother who loves cooking and knows how to do it. I can't understand the few ¨just average¨ reviews and I don't agree with them. We will be going back!

• Visited June 2013
Vienna, Austria
“Great italian food - they know what they do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Really liked the food. Small place with a nice menu offering quality pasta, pizza and risottos. The wine was also excellent. Highly recommend it

• Visited March 2013