“FUN AND HAPPY DAYS AT ARCADIA HOSTEL IN MEDELLIN”
Review of Arcadia Hostel

and 1 more site!
Arcadia Hostel
Ranked #26 of 214 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
Sao Paulo, SP
“FUN AND HAPPY DAYS AT ARCADIA HOSTEL IN MEDELLIN”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Hello, I would like to recommend everybody who is visiting Medellin, the city of eternal spring, to stay at Arcadia hostel. A great place with a warm atmosphere where its host Spyros will ensure that you enjoy the perfect and well-cooked Greek BBQ every Sunday. He has worked very hard to build an organised and friendly hostel where you will feel fine and relaxed. See you all soon at Arcadia Hostel Medellin, where you can come to enjoy free Salsa lessons and learn to dance a little bit better. Also you can come and sing your favourite songs at the fun Karaoke nights. The hostel holds many events every week for you to meet some locals and get tips for enjoying the great city of Medellin, which welcomes tourists and makes them feel at home. The 3 days I stayed here were some of the happiest in my trip. Beleza… David.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Salento, Colombia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

“All you can have” pancakes' breakfast, little shelf and personal light right next to my bed, two spots to plug in electric devices as well (very practical, I reckon), good location (very close to Lleras park), super nice staff, owner who is always ready and willing to help his guests any way possible to enjoy their time to the hostel and the city to the maximum, excellent common areas, generally an awesome place to meet people, AND with plenty of events organized every second day, attracting even local residents. Last, but not least, very competitive prices (by Medellin and especially Poblado standards).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My partner and I just had a three night stay at Hostel Arcadia in a private room. We found that the hostel had a pleasant and friendly atmosphere, great and helpful staff and good communal areas. The kitchen was functional and clean and had good free amenities like available butter, big fridge and basically open 24 hours. Above all, the cleaning staff were good at keeping it clean, even though it was really busy on the days we stayed there. The free pancakes and coffee each morning were also a definite plus. It was just gorgeous to sit on the balcony and enjoy listening to the flowing stream in a field across the road each morning while we ate.
The cleaning service in the room was good, the room was aired and swept every day and they changed the sheets on the third night which we didn’t really expect of a hostel, but a pleasant surprise none the less! We were using the communal bathroom (there were two) and they were kept clean also. On Friday night we took part in the free salsa lessons which was good fun and a nice way to meet people! As for the location, the hostel was only a 5 min walk to the zona rosa where there are lots of restaurants, bar and discotecas, and it was a pleasant walk.
Getting to the hostel isn’t too difficult, but we found that it certainly pays to have the exact directions (we got a little bit lost the first time). We would recommend printing out some directions, or abit of a map to save you some time and hassle! The easiest way to get to the hostel using public transportation is a combination of metro and bus. All we had to do (as recommended by hostel world website) was buy an integrado poblado ticket for 2300 COP which allows you to go straight up Calle 10, the main street of Poblado. These integrado buses are small green buses that are located behind the stairs as soon as you leave the metro station.
• Stay on the bus until Carretera 36 (there is a Dominos on the corner, hard to miss!)
• Turn left at Carretera 36 and the hostel lies at the end of this road. BEWARE though, the road includes a slight dog-leg that will bring you past a flowing stream and slight foresty area.
• Make sure that you veer right, cross the intersection and the hostel is on the left side of the road, opposite a small, fenced park.
We both agree that we would return here when we come back to Medellin! Thanks guys!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We were met with very friendly staff but had no reservation so our only option was the suite at $110COPS - it was late so we took the room. It was a huge room with a giant bathtub, which would have been great if it had been cleaned sometime in the last year - it was absolutely disgusting, so we didn't go near it. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned since the last occupants left - there were pubic hairs on the top and rim of the toilet and the shower was grimy. The rug on the bedroom floor was covered in accumulated bits of god knows what - horrible. Most unclean place we've stayed at in 7 months in SA. The vibe generally was good and the info provided was really good - what a shame it was let down by a severe lack of cleanliness. Oh and where is the tv in the suite?? For that price, there should surely be a tv. We spoke to the owner who was extremely friendly and welcoming but why does he not employ proper cleaners??? Come on, it's not that difficult. Good location, great staff but for God's sake clean the place!!

• Stayed February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Although this hostel has great potential, its simply not being used to its maximum.

We firstly stayed in the 12 bed dorm. This is literally the owners garage, with three triple bunks squeezed in. Its crowded and most people ended up sleeping with their large bags on their bunk as there simply is no room anywhere for their belongings. There are small lockers but its too difficult to use them when the floor is covered with things. Additionally the room is noisy as its right next to the front door. The pillows were disgusting and yellow and I ended up using my coat as a pillow instead.

We ended up moving rooms one night to "Troyan". This dorm was so much better. There were shelves for belongings, space for bags and an en suite bathroom. Sadly, however, the water in the en-suite is freezing.

In the 12 bed dorm, there is no bathroom so you have to walk through the hostel and up two floors to this tiny, makeshift triangular room...if you can call it that. The door locks but leaves a massive gap so people can see right into the shower (which is above the toilet and sink) and there's nowhere to hang clothes. All in all, a horrid experience. When this "bathroom" is full, you're advised to walk into someone else s dorm (full of people trying to sleep) to use their en-suite, which I just find totally unacceptable and unfair to those sleeping.

Ive given this place 4 stars because the atmospheres great, there are organised activities going on and the pancakes in the morning are fab. But sadly its disgustingly filthy, everywhere. There are bugs all over the kitchen cupboards and cobwebs in all the rooms. The cleaner took 3 minutes to clean our bathroom (at 08.00 and waking everyone up in the process!) and when i went in later, it was still dirty.

Additionally, for 3 days I kept asking the staff to book us onto the Pablo Escobar tour but they kept fobbing us off and on one occasion, the owner basically told us he wasn't going to do it because he didn't agree with it, didn't understand our fascination with it and that he had a DVD we could watch instead. If he didn't want to book it, maybe he should stop advertising it?

The owner has his own opinions on what is acceptable and what is not but from the point of view of a traveler, there are so many things that could be improved. If the place was cleaner and if it was given a lick of paint it could be amazing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Arcadia_hostel, Owner at Arcadia Hostel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi there, thanks for your response, its Spyros.
As I have already said Hades (Hell) the 12 bed dorm is one of the most popular dorms in Medellin and this is because it's really cheap. Now we are trying our best to make it as comfy as possible.
For more space to put your bags we have already installed small lockers to each bed and took out the old lockers that were taking up space so its a little bit more spacious and utile but we are still thinking about solutions for the big backpacks.
About the noise I might have to make a separation from the stairs and door so it would be less noisy..i am working on it.
Sorry about the pillows I already ordered new ones!
The water is always hot, we have a 200litre boiler that provides hot water even when the hostel is full in the busiest hours.You probably didn't allow it enough time to run.
For the 12 dorm room there is 1 bathroom on the 1st floor, then there is a shower - bathroom on the 2nd floor that we already fixed, we installed a much better door that closes normal without problems. We will install a rack to hang your clothes as well.
I totally agree about not letting people use the ensuite bathroom of the other dorms, we have already made an additional shower opposite the shower - bathroom on the 2nd floor.
I have already change the cleaner, this one does a great job and order not to enter so early in the dorms.
About the Pablo Escobar tour I guess you were here during the Christmas holidays so they also were on holidays and the tour was off for more than a week which we were trying to confirm so we didn't fob just we were trying to verify it. In case you didn't speak to me I am the one and only owner its obviously a misunderstanding, we are always animate our guests to do the tour because I have personally done it (for one you meet his brother Roberto) and I think it is worth it. Roberto has an interesting personality (use to be the champion of cycling of Colombia) and there are interesting artifacts at his house that are worth visiting. He also has interesting tales to tell about some of the artifacts and photos and you can always ask him whatever you want or take photos with him. I never said that I am not going to do it, then why would I provide it? If I have done it myself and if there are so many people that are asking for it how come I don't understand your fascination with it? People please if you aren't sure you understand something go ahead and ask me because I think my English is good enough so it surprised me what you wrote!
My staff and I are always working 24/7 and we always try to make improvements. One of these improvements is the kitchen that in a few weeks will be really organized. We are also making the rules of Arcadia in order to have the best experience during your stay.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I recently stayed 5 nights at Arcadia Hostel in Medellin. I had originally planned on staying only 2 nights, but after arriving and having a great time I decided to extend my stay. The owner was extremely friendly and very welcoming. He showed me the best places to go and enjoy my time in Medellin as well as help me with any questions and bookings of tours. The overall staff was very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed the hostel environment as well. Theres a great area to relax and watch tv and also an outdoor patio to hang out and meet other guests.

I really enjoyed the sunday BBQ that is offered for only 15.000COP and its all you can eat! The hostel was very tidy and clean, unlike others I have stayed in. I never had a single complaint for the entire stay.

I highly reccommend this hostel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here end of July 2012. Been meaning to write this review for a long time. I stayed here for 4 nights with a friend and we had a great time. The staff were extremely help, the guests were also great (although that's not in the hostels control I guess). They offered dance lessons, a barbeque, they had a really fantastic guide book which they'd made themselves of the local area which showed you exactly how to get to all of the sights around Medellin.

Fast internet, comfortable. Very popular hostel - we stayed there for 3 nights and forgot to book a fourth night - it was full by the fourth night. We spoke to Spyro (the owner - great guy) and he really tried to help us out - in the end he let us sleep in the lounge for a reduced rate as he could see we really didn't want to leave his hostel. I hope to visit here again soon - also Medellin is probably one of my favourite cities I visited in South America in the whole 6 months I travelled around it - and this hostel and city really stood out above the rest.

Tip: the first time you visit - get a taxi or bus as arriving there the first time can be slightly confusing

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends