“Nice place in a weird area”

The Wandering Paisa
Ranked #17 of 210 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
“Nice place in a weird area”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for one night.
This is a nice hostel. It looks pretty good, showers and bathrooms are good and there is a very nice kitchen. The place also features a bar (though I don't think it is very popular).
The rooms are cool- each one has a theme of a different place in South America. They are spacious enough and even in the big dorm you can get a good night sleep.
Staff were pretty helpful and nice, we were looking for apartment and they helped us by searching the web and giving us phone numbers.
The location is the main disadvantage of this place. I read some people saying the area is cool by not being "El Poblado" (which is very western) but for me it was a weird spot. You don't fell comfortbale going out at night even though it supposed to be safe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The wandering paisa is one of the best hostels of Medellin. It has all the ammenities needed when you travel overseas. Well located, comfortable, big rooms..etc. People there are very friendly and always willing to help you and guide you in the city, what places to visit and have fun. Go there you wont regret it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

sucre
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place is sweet. Genuinely nice staff who were always smiles and full of usefull information about the area and Medellin. Also bilingual, which is nice because I don't have much for Spanish skills. Really well thought out location, off the "gringo path" and close to the metro, a big exito, free olympic swimming pools, free gym and only a short taxi to pablado for a party. Clean rooms, comfy beds, salsa nights, open mic, language exchange, all such fun times getting to know locals and having a few drinks at the hostel bar. Definitely going to have to come back!

• Stayed June 2013
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

When I first got to Medellin I stayed at a hostel in Poblado, which is one of the "ritzy" areas of the city. For me that was a mistake. I didn't travel 2,000 miles from Huntington Beach, California, to stay in an area that resembled Newport Beach. I immediately looked for other options. In my search I came across the Wander Paisa Hostel. I decided to give it a shot. I have to say that in all of my travels this has been my favorite hostel. It's very clean, it's spacious, it has a full kitchen (I like to cook so that's always important.), the employees are helpful and attentive, and most of all it's in a great location. I learned that the neighborhood is called Florida Nueva, the main cross streets are 70th and San Juan, and only about 4 blocks from the Metro station and the stadium, which by the way has a like 4 Olympic sized pools that are free to swim in and a sweet indoor basketball court, which is also free to use! My favorite thing about this hostel would be the events they had. There was a salsa lesson night, a karaoke night, a language exchange night and a movie night. I typically don't like to stay in the hostel much, but this hostel made it tempting. Oh and I tasted my favorite beer in Colombia for the first time here, Tres Cordilleras. I'm trying to think a negative aspect of the hostel and I can honestly think of none, this is why I gave it a 5 out of 5 rating. Thanks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wandering Paisa is a hotel like few I've been to in Europe, Asia or elsewhere in South America. It is very comfortable, with a living room, a terrace with hammocks, a large kitchen in which to cook for yourself (though I preferred sampling the food on the streets and restaurants nearby) and a bar in which to drink the local brews, Medellin rum and the classic Colombian aguardiente (fire water--which describes itself very well). The staff members are extremely knowledgeable, of Medellin, environs and scheduling travel to other parts, and they not only speak English well, but they also are very patient with conversing in beginners who want to practice Spanish (cést moi, pardon my French).

But these are not the primary reasons that I love Wandering Paisa: the owners offer an opportunity that is like few others: when I travel, I really seek to meet the locals, but it's often difficult. Wandering Paisa brings them to you: every Thursday, they host an "ïntercambio," or language exchange, which is well-attended by Colombians (and a few expats who no longer stay at the hostel) looking to practice their English and who make practicing Spanish a delight, all lubricated by a few cervezas in the bar. Wandering Paisa also hosts free group salsa lessons on Tuesdays (once again, well-attended by Colombians--I assumed that dance was in their blood, salsa-ing out of the womb, stereotype not true) and they host varies other events (e.g., open mic nights and karaoke nights). Sometimes a group goes out to the local bars afterwards, with more opportunities to interact and dance with the paisas.

Finally, the hostel is located in the wonderful neighborhood of Laureles, well-served by the safe, clean, quiet elevated Metro. I wanted to stay away from the tourist party scene (El Poblado is worth a visit, but do they really need a Hooters there? Really?!?), and Laureles is a middle-class neighborhood where I felt safe walking at night (though only on the well-lit, main streets). I stayed at WP for five days in December (I planned to stay two, but I stayed for their very-fun anniversary party, and I stayed for about a week and a half last month (4/2013). I took some Spanish lessons from one of the staff--she was an excellent teacher, starting with a conversation to understand areas for improvement and crafting lessons and exercises to focus on your individual needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Gananoque, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the Wandering Paisa for 4 nights in early March. My room was the "Chile" room which was quite large with a private ensuite bath. The area has several resturants within walking distance and the metro is about a five minute walk. The area seems to be realativly safe area but then again I was never out walking late at night. The staff were friendly and bilingual and helpful for making taxi reservations etc. On the weekend, as this is a hostel, they have a night where guests can take part in a variety night preforming for the others. My room was right beside the common area and as I do not fit into the "backpaker" type crowd (too old) I didn't join in but I didn't really have to as I could hear everything through my window which opened up to this common area. They have a kitchen for those who want to prepare thier own food. All in all a good option for value accomodation in Medellin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I visited Colombia for a couple of weeks in February 2012, and the Wandering Paisa was by far the best hostel that I stayed at during my brief time. I had three full days in Medellin, and the staff is the main factor that made this hostel so exceptional. All were extremely helpful and were fully bi-lingual (Spanish-English), which is rare to find in Colombia. I had some problems with the tour agency that was making some arrangements for me, and one of the staff members was instrumental in trouble-shooting. All the staff gave great advice about local logistics and travel recommendations.

The location is excellent--convenient to a number of good local dining places and easy walking distance to the Metro.

The free Wi-Fi is inconsistent (as are most locations in Colombia) but there is a reliable Internet connection that you can pay for in order to make essential online connections.

The main advantage to this hostel remains with the great staff. They will make you feel welcome and safe in this great city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo