“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Su Casa Colombia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Medellin
Su Casa Colombia
Ranked #20 of 121 Medellin B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Earlier this year, my wife and I were planning a vacation to Ecuador and Colombia from our home base of Sacramento, CA. My wife discovered this place while exploring some options on the web. We do not speak Spanish and were a bit uneasy about some things we read about Colombia. After some initial email exchanges and a couple of telephone calls with Noah, we decided to stay at Su Casa Colombia. A big part of our reasoning was the connection we felt with Noah and the knowledge that he and Marcela were bilingual, were so knowledgeable about Medellin/Colombian culture, and were such avid supporters/enthusiasts about where they had chosen to live.

We visited for a week during late June and early July. In a word, our experience was fantastic. Noah and Marcela are great hosts and would do anything to assure our comfort and satisfaction. Our room was clean, nicely appointed, and included a very comfortable bed mattress, which was a welcome relief for my troublesome back. We loved the breakfasts, especially the emphasis on fresh, local fruits. Noah and Marcela were both very helpful in planning and arranging our outings, which included a couple of activities with Noah and/or Marcela.

While the accommodations were great, they aren’t what we remember most about Su Casa Colombia. Accommodations can be replicated nearly anywhere. What made Su Casa fantastic for us were Noah and Marcela. They are gracious, helpful, honest, straightforward, fun loving, communicative, customer oriented, and overall, great hosts. We would like to think we gained two new friends during our travels.

We were so taken with Medellin that we hope to move there in a year or so. We will definitely connect with Marcela and Noah when we do. If you plan to visit Medellin, you owe it to yourself to stay at Su Casa Colombia. You won’t be disappointed. Please say hello to Noah and Marcella from B and D.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank BandD1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I just returned from spending 8-days at Su Casa Colombia and we can honestly say it ranks as one of our top vacations of all time! It had been a good three years since we’d gone on a weeklong trip anywhere together, much less one that is not work related. We knew we wanted to stay at a B&B and connect with knowledgeable people who could point us in the right direction for a proper mix of tourist and local activities. Su Casa and its proprietors - Noah & Marcela - did not disappoint!

Let me preface this by saying that we’ve done our fare share of traveling and have stayed at some pretty amazing places ranging from the very high end to the humble. Since vacations such as this are a bit of a luxury for us, being that we have very busy work schedules, we wanted to book a stay that offered comfort, a prime location, safety and superior service.

Su Casa Colombia embodies all of these elements. Like a home away from home, Su Casa Colombia is warm and inviting. Everything about the place makes you feel relaxed and at ease. Our room was impeccable, with a comfy king sized bed, delicious duvet and a beautiful rustic wood dresser and armoire. Our private bathroom had all new fixtures and the room in general was very clean and well appointed. The rest of the house is cozy and very accessible. Even though Noah & Marcela live there, we never once felt like we were invading their space or bothering them or any of the other guests.

Noah & Marcela are extremely gracious and attentive hosts. They made sure we had everything we needed before we arrived, and had delicious breakfasts and coffee ready every morning. I was even able to arrange for a birthday cake for my husband prior to arriving, since part of the reason for our trip was to celebrate his special day. Noah went out of his way to get a fabulous cake for us and they sang happy birthday to my husband and enjoyed cake with us as well!

As far as the tours offered, they were really one-of-a-kind experiences. Part of the appeal of Su Casa Colombia for us was that Noah & Marcela seem to live and breathe Medellin. They truly love living in this amazing city, which is evident in all of the tours that they offer. They personally guide you through the city and speak of everything from the corner bakery to the Botero sculptures with an infectious passion that helped us fall in love with Medellin and the Su Casa experience! As first time visitors, we could not have felt more safe in Medellin. It’s a city of bustling culture with an ever present aura of kindness. The people are all very helpful and excited to share all of the wonderful things that the city has to offer. We learned so much and got to see some spectacular sights while there.

The only downside to our vacation was that we could not extend it and stay longer! Su Casa Colombia was a fabulous experience, one that we are already planning to relive in the near future. Many thanks to Noah & Marcela for welcoming us into their beautiful city and home. What a special place run by equally special people!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyVP
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Everything about Su Casa Colombia B & B was a disappointment. The location, the clutter inside, the noise, the uncomfortable bed, the scanty breakfast. We did not sleep well the first night and decided to leave as soon as we could right after the so called "breakfast." We requested a taxi to take us to a regular motel located on a nicer part of town. Be wise, don't go to Su Casa Colombia B&B - it is extremely over-prized for what you get.

Room Tip: There is no best view and no convenient plug for a laptop.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SashaDeLange
SuCasaColombia, Owner at Su Casa Colombia, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
We are truly sorry that you did not have the experience you were looking for while staying at Su Casa Colombia. We pride ourselves in doing whatever it takes to make the guest experience positive and memorable. We are always looking for ways to improve our services and appreciate the feedback.

We are not a typical hotel, as we operate a bed and breakfast where we advertise a friendly, comfortable, and unique Medellin experience. Our B&B has been praised by many as a top choice for this type of accommodation when visiting the city. The recent renovations we’ve gone through have allowed us to provide even more comfort to guests, and we can assure you that we maintain the highest standards when it comes to cleanliness, service, and food. When a guest is frustrated, we are frustrated, as we want nothing more than to give you a wonderful, relaxing, and authentic stay. We work hard to achieve this goal, and put our all into this B&B. We take all feedback seriously and glean what lessons we can from them so that these experiences will not happen again.

Thank you again for your feedback.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I should probably stipulate this at the outset: I have no use for B&B’s. The cramped quarters, the (too often) shared bathrooms, the all-around surrender of privacy (and too often to the likes of the B&B owner so cruelly depicted in Ben Stiller’s Flirting With Disaster)—it’s just not for me. Truly, I can get all this at home.

So imagine my surprise at finding (and, more to the point, enjoying) myself at a B&B, and in Medellin to boot. But that’s the point, isn’t it? One shouldn’t—or so I thought—parachute into a place like Medellin without some type of mediator to introduce me to a city whose reputation needs no elaboration here. Hence, the real value of Noah and Marcela, the wonderfully chameleon-like (they’ll be whatever you want them to be) owners of Su Casa Colombia: they’re the perfect guides in a place that desperately requires them. To be sure, you have your choice of luxury hotels (my typical preference) in Medellin. But good luck once you walk out the door. At which point you may wind up with an untrustworthy Colombian guide, wandering aimlessly through the streets with a Lonely Planet volume and a “gringo” sign on your forehead, or much worse.

Marcella and Noah, by contrast, know exactly what’s worth, and what’s not worth, seeing in a city that’s frankly too much to handle on one’s own. On my visit, they took me to a wonderful orchid festival, a folksy bar, a salsa concert, and much else besides. They gave me, in short, a real sense of the city. More than that, they did it at my pace, which is a pretty lazy one. With each guest, I observed them adapting in different ways—running some (literally) up and down mountains and, in my case, more or less leaving me be (per my preference). If you’d like to see one sight per day, that’s fine by them. If you’d like to see a dozen, that too is fine. In the truest sense of the word, and in the sense to which I’ve become accustomed at fine hotels, Noah and Marcela cater to their guests.

Which brings me to the casa. Theirs is a four or five bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood close enough to the action, but just far enough to feel exactly right. The rooms, with their king beds, cozy blankets, mid-century modern furniture, immaculate bathrooms, and boxes of amenities, are frankly indistinguishable from four-star hotel rooms. The many common areas and outdoor terraces allowed me to wander, as I chose to do, with the same anonymity that I prefer at resort hotels. Again, others were clearly doing the reverse—playing board games, having sunset drinks on the roof, plotting out their days and nights with the help of Noah and Marcela. Not me. As to what I felt like doing, Noah and Marcela waited for me rather than the other way around. And that is as it should be.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank pillowking
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed at Sucasacolombia for a week and we had a wonderful time! Even before we arrived, Noah offered us his advice that helped us plan our trip. Throughout our stay Marcela and Noah were very attentive, giving us all the advice, information and help we needed without ever being obtrusive.
We enjoyed a fun trip to a dairy farm with Noah, where we not only got an idea about farming in Colombia, but thanks to the interesting conversations we got lots of insights into life in Medellin. Dinner at a restaurant on our way back was just the cherry on the cake!
In this B&B the beds are very comfortable and breakfast is delicious with fresh juices and some of the best arepas we had. It's a pity that a couple of times we had to eat so fast we could not really enjoy it, because preparing it took so long. But apart from that, we had a perfect stay.

A cup of coffee as soon as you get up, a great breakfast, laundry service, tips on where to go, how to get there, what to do... a warm welcome every time you get back in the evening: Marcela and Noah know exactly what travellers need and they make their guests feel like VIPs. It's obvious that managing their B&B is not just a job for them, it's a dedication.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at Su Casa Colombia for two nights and left wishing I spent my entire trip there! For those of you familiar with traveling in Colombia, you know that certain things that are considered a given in the US are, let's say, optional, in Colombia.

To start, they had deliciously hot showers fed from a tankless hot water system. Not only do you not have to wonder if the people down the hall are taking a shower, it's eco-friendly to boot! Beds were very comfortable with great quality sheets. The kind of sheets where as you slide into them after a long day on your feet, you can't help but say "ahhhhhhhhh." Overall cleanliness was excellent as well.

By far the greatest part about my stay was Noah and Marcela, the owner/operators. From the minute we walked in, we were treated as if we were old friends. They struck the perfect balance of helpful but not overbearingly-breath-down-your-neck attentive. Travel advice was offered but not pushed. They knew the area quite well and sent us to an absolutely AMAZING Colombian restaurant. It didn't even have a sign, a real hidden gem. Breakfast was served with a smile on the rooftop in the glorious Colombian morning sunshine. it was a great blend of traditional Colombian cuisine and big enough to keep us going until lunch. The white juice, I don't remember what it was, is delicious, as are the arepas that Marcela cooks on the stove.

The location is very good as well. It's a 5 minute walk from the football stadium and a bunch of restaurants and a ten minute walk from the Estadio metro stop.

Overall, an very well run establishment that you'll feel right at home in. Truly Your House in Colombia.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SuCasaColombia, Owner at Su Casa Colombia, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for all of your very kind words! We always strive to give our guests the adventure and novelty of traveling abroad while still providing them the comforts of home and it's wonderful to see that our efforts are paying off.

We're very glad you enjoyed your stay with us (and also enjoyed the wonderful neighborhood restaurant) and we'd love to see you here again! Thank you!
Temuco, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I came to stay with Marcela and Noah for Colombia Moda, and could not have been more thankful for the elegant and calm haven I discovered. They were incredibly helpful in guiding me towards a successful business trip, going out of their way to research neighborhoods I needed to visit. They treated me like a friend, and I rested deeply in the beauty of the house. Truly enjoyed getting to know them and Colombia, and will definitely return next time I am in Medellín. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're so happy that we were able to provide you with a "home away from home" during your time in Medellin! It was a pleasure to have you here and we hope to see you here again and hopefully even before next year's Colombia Moda!