“Loved it, some space for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia

Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia
Ranked #10 of 99 Hotels in Medellin
Curacao
“Loved it, some space for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a good experience for a very reasonable price. Location is perfect. Service at front desk is good and service provided by bellboys/doormen (2 of the best I ever met), restaurantstaff and room attendants was perfect. Hotel in general has a overall very nice design and décor, the rooms are comfortable, I would like to remark that if your more than 6 ft tall the bed I slept in can appear to be too small, maybe the staff can do something about that. When visiting the jacuzzis on the rooftop, one was empty an the other one reserved but without being used, I did not really bother but I can imagine someone would. Finally I want to say that the included breakfast buffet was absolutely the best I ever had, it really was a perfect start of the day. Delicious, excellent service, large assortiment and good quality food.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Pereira, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Diez Hotel is a relatively new hotel in Medellin offering the comfort of modern hotel standards. Rooms are spacy and well equipped and with AC which comes in handy if a traveller is coming from a colder climate.
Restaurant is good and has a nice range of offers. The separate Sushi restauran is comparatively good, but some of the shimaki and california rolls are strangely adapted to the local perception that big is good :-)
Hotel also offers excellent spa and relax facilities.
Only downside is that it is hard to find staff speaking English.

Room Tip: all rooms seem OK
Usingen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed on Business on a Friday night in August. Corrdiors and roomas have a unique design per floor and the room was spacious and modern, great decoration, all worked well. The only draw-back for me (as a tranquility lover) is the central location right at the crossing of two major roads and believe me, people in Medellin like to go out on a Friday night....
Food in the barbeque restaurant donwstairs at night was ample and good quality, service as nice as always around anywhere in Colombia. Did not like the sterile atmosphere at night at the roof top restaurant that's why we ate downstairs.
Breakfast buffet is ok, service nice.
In total, stay was worth the Money paid, but I'll try a different place next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank 2worldtravelers13
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

OK, it's a clean hotel with several restaurant and bar options. The staff is friendly and helpful. It isn't the cheapest place in town but it isn't the most expensive so you can't fairly fault it there. It is a nice hotel.

My problem is the internet. I am here on business and I need to and expect to do business here. The internet connection here reminds me of my old 1995 dial up connection. I am here with 3 colleagues and they all have the same experience.

They use a log in page so you regularly have to re-log in with an ID and password instead of using a password to connect to the WiFi and there is no option for a wired connection in the rooms. The signal is very week, all of my colleagues are having similar experiences. Come on people, internet connections should be basic by now!

Otherwise it's great, just don't bother with the Sunset bar downstairs. It's a rip off.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here from 9/15/13 thru 9/17/13.
The Diez is really an 8.5 due in no small part to the fact that any 10-rated hotel has to have a nice pool (which The Diez does not have) and also the fact that their front desk is unfriendly and unwelcoming. They definitely need more training to make this front desk be up to international 5-star hotel standards -which is I suppose what The Diez aims to be.

Other than this, everything else was fine.
Location is excellent, in the heart of Poblado, which is perhaps the fanciest district of Medellin.
The hotel is well designed and nicely decorated.
The rooms are large and well kept.
The top floor is where all the amenities are located, and the views of the city from the hotel top are wonderful.
Altogether The Diez is a good attempt to reach the international standards of quality and comfort usually offered by strong hotel chains such as Carlton, Hilton, Wyndham, etc.
They try, and even when they may fall short, the Diez is still a great option for the price you pay.
I'd recommend you book early to get reservations for a price close to $130/night or better.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

"Cargo por persona adicional" es de 200.000 pesos o $USD 105 - ¡cuidado!

So I called the hotel the day before and went over at length with Sandra at the front desk about any additional person charge. She said, very clearly, that there was none, so long as there were only two people in the room at any time. So I went ahead and made a non-refundable reservation for two nights. Lo and behold, what does the check-in form say, in Spanish? 200,000 peso "additional person charge" (USD 105). I guess she "forgot" to mention that. You won't find that charge anywhere on the internet or on the Diez hotel website. You find out after you have made the reservation and when its too late, upon check-in. This means if you bring anyone up to the room, for any reason, its 200K per person. If I had not made a big deal about it when I checked in, it is clear that they would just charge your credit card for each and every person. Mind you, 200,000 pesos is about DOUBLE what I paid for the room. Why the charge? For my "security" I was told. They watch you like a hawk to see who you bring up to the room.

Now it appears that other nicer hotels in Medellin also play this game, such as the Sheraton. So be careful because you could be out a lot of money, and if you refuse to pay, god knows what they would do other than charging your credit card. Perhaps they would call the Colombian police and accuse you of not paying your bill. And then you are in Medellin and in trouble.

Reminds me of stories I have heard of pilgrims on the Haj in Mecca in Saudi Arabia, where people staying at hotels have their passports held by the hotel for their "security" and are smacked with surprise charges at the end to get them back.

Don't get me wrong - the hotel is nice, breakfast is great, location is great. There is just this one problem which can become a big one if you are not aware of it in advance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Usual T
Fort Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I gave this hotel this rating for several reasons.

First the good:
-This hotel is in a great location and in walking distance to some great areas in town.
-The hotel is very reasonably priced at $80 or so/per night (not actually that price - we'll get to that in the bad).
-The bar/waitstaff were very friendly and made us definitely feel at home. They are definitely the brightspot in the hotel's staff. I should also mention the bellhops as being a great members of the staff.
-There is a decent breakfast buffet included.
-Massage was good and at a reasonable price.

Now the bad:
-As has been said in other reviews, the beds are really uncomfortable. We are a young couple, and after spending several nights at Diez, we are both very sore.
-The rooms themselves are unremarkable with some token decoration and very poor lighting.
-The cost doesn't end up being really as advertised. This mandatory insurance shows up when you arrive and then of course a 16% tax at the end of your trip. Not exactly tricking anyone, but just something to keep in mind when you book.
-There is no pool and it was difficult to find an opportunity to use the rooftop Jacuzzi when it was warm.

Now the really bad:
-We got a late night snack from room service and while eating, we discovered two large strips of plastic in the food (Similar to what you would find surrounding a frozen meal). We complained about this issue and the manager was very apologetic, brought us a tray of fruit, and she said we had a credit on our bill for the cost of the meal since we had paid in cash for the meal. The front desk never actually received that message and when we checked out, we did not receive the credit.
-Speaking of the front desk, this is one of the worst group of employees I have ever encountered at any hotel. They are smug, uncaring, and flat rude. One gentlemen in particular who is tall and lightly complected is awful and made us feel totally unwelcome. The front desk is the first impression, and Diez makes an terrible one.

Overall the hotel is ok. Perhaps you get what you pay for. If your expectations are low and all you want is a room, this is fine. I think there are nicer places in Medellin that I believe we will check out the next time we're in Medellin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank rybass03
Jairosecommerce, Director Ecommerce at Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for your stay at Diez Hotel Categoría Colombia and for your comments regarding it.
Although we have had the opportunity to get in contact with you to offer our apologies and tell you about of the correctives that have been taken.
We take this opportunity to express our interest to improve every day and offer our customers the best possible service based on their tastes and preferences.
We look forward to your visit again so you can live a better experience and wish him success in each one of their activities.