“It was ok”

Ranked #11 of 105 Hotels in Medellin
Fort Worth
“It was ok”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I gave this hotel this rating for several reasons.

First the good:
-This hotel is in a great location and in walking distance to some great areas in town.
-The hotel is very reasonably priced at $80 or so/per night (not actually that price - we'll get to that in the bad).
-The bar/waitstaff were very friendly and made us definitely feel at home. They are definitely the brightspot in the hotel's staff. I should also mention the bellhops as being a great members of the staff.
-There is a decent breakfast buffet included.
-Massage was good and at a reasonable price.

Now the bad:
-As has been said in other reviews, the beds are really uncomfortable. We are a young couple, and after spending several nights at Diez, we are both very sore.
-The rooms themselves are unremarkable with some token decoration and very poor lighting.
-The cost doesn't end up being really as advertised. This mandatory insurance shows up when you arrive and then of course a 16% tax at the end of your trip. Not exactly tricking anyone, but just something to keep in mind when you book.
-There is no pool and it was difficult to find an opportunity to use the rooftop Jacuzzi when it was warm.

Now the really bad:
-We got a late night snack from room service and while eating, we discovered two large strips of plastic in the food (Similar to what you would find surrounding a frozen meal). We complained about this issue and the manager was very apologetic, brought us a tray of fruit, and she said we had a credit on our bill for the cost of the meal since we had paid in cash for the meal. The front desk never actually received that message and when we checked out, we did not receive the credit.
-Speaking of the front desk, this is one of the worst group of employees I have ever encountered at any hotel. They are smug, uncaring, and flat rude. One gentlemen in particular who is tall and lightly complected is awful and made us feel totally unwelcome. The front desk is the first impression, and Diez makes an terrible one.

Overall the hotel is ok. Perhaps you get what you pay for. If your expectations are low and all you want is a room, this is fine. I think there are nicer places in Medellin that I believe we will check out the next time we're in Medellin.

3 Thank rybass03
Jairosecommerce, Director Ecommerce at Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for your stay at Diez Hotel Categoría Colombia and for your comments regarding it.
Although we have had the opportunity to get in contact with you to offer our apologies and tell you about of the correctives that have been taken.
We take this opportunity to express our interest to improve every day and offer our customers the best possible service based on their tastes and preferences.
We look forward to your visit again so you can live a better experience and wish him success in each one of their activities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed September 4, 2013

great hotel, very confortable, nice people and assistance, great breakfast buffet and very good restaurant. very well located in a very nice area. The people working there are really nice and helpful. I got a room with a fantastic view and and hammock!! Just great!

Room Tip: there are rooms with hammock!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great internet values. Traveled last minute. Very nice hotel. Nice outdoor restaurant. Other nice restaurants within walking distance. I would stay here again. I liked the way they decorated the hotel to highlight the history and traditions of Colombia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed August 29, 2013

GREAT Value! It is a very good hotel with great price and very well located . The breakfast is good and it is already included on the price of the hotel . The service is excellent and Daniel is always present to help us to do tours to the city of Medellin !

Room Tip: Diez Hotel is Ten! Value excellent.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights after a wedding and the flower festival the previous saturday and sunday. The hotel and our room was lovely but at the start the safe didnt work properly and after telephoning Reception a couple of times for them to come up to see to it (I didnt want to go out until I had put our valuables money etc etc into the safe.) After 1 1/2 hrs they still hadn't come up to our room to do the safe by then I was getting annoyed I went down to Reception and spoke to them and asked them when they were coming up to do the safe. By then it was 4.15 p.m. We arrived at the hotel at 2 p.m. and we wanted to go and get something to eat as we had had nothing to eat since breakfast the Best Western Skyplus. They called for someone to come up to do the safe. I went back to our room and it was at least another half hr before anyone came up to do the safe. By then it was 5 p.m. Eventually we got the safe to work. The room was lovely but there was no balcony which was a disappointment. Also there is no coffee/tea facilities in the room and also no iron and they do not rent or hire them out which I also freaked out about not having one. Our room was fairly quiet not a lot of noise. The only noise we had one night was next door who had their TV on so loud we could hear everything in our room and it reverberated so I called Reception and asked them if they could ask the people next door to turn it down - which eventually they did after half an hour. We had a meal in the restaurant on the 6th Floor which was lovely but unbeknown to us the water which they offered us was not free and they charged us for it at 9,800 pesos which we had to pay for. Also they charge 7,000 pesos for each person who eats in the restaurant - apparently for insurance in case you need medical help etc. If you need help they have a nice young man called Daniel who helps out in Reception and who speaks English - he explained it to my husband and told him that we could have it taken off our bill which my husband said yes please and they took it off the bill. Please check your bills. The food was excellent in the hotel but a little bit pricey I recommend going outside to the restaurants especially Mondongos (a few streets away from the hotel) and Crepes and Waffles (which is the next street away from the hotel) lovely food etc. Breakfast in the buffet restaurant (which is included in the price) is brilliant nothing is too much trouble for them but they could do with a few more fruit juices and selection of fruit at the fruit and yoghurt bar but apart from that the food was good. Omelettes were cooked for you straight away. I used to have toast but their toaster takes a long while to toast and one morning I came into the restaurant and one of the waiters came up to me and pointed to the toaster and told me he had put toast in the toaster without my asking for it which was a nice gesture. The hotel is in a convenient location for the town but if you want to go to the Metro its about a 10 minute walk but we usually got a taxi which is so cheap. If you want to have your hair and nails done - I had my hair and my nails done for the wedding the week before and my feet (my heels as they were so dry) and it cost me 27,000 pesos which is only about £9.25 in English money. Very cheap. Lovely hotel but service could be better. I asked for two coffees one day whilst we were waiting to go out one day upstairs in the spa and it took about half an hour for us to get them. Be prepared to wait for service as it takes a while for them to get round to do it. but we would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you dont speak spanish ask for Daniel a very nice young man who speaks English and also is very v...
Dominican Republic
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our stay at the Diez Hotel Categoria was a very pleasant one, we had a wonderful time during our lovely stay during La feria de las Flores. We start by seeing so many flowers as decoration though out the hotel so beautiful. The Staff Service was great, everyone was so helpful. Each floor has a deferent name after a region of Colombia and they have displayed through out the floor typical decorations from the region. So beautiful I took the tour of each floor, the rooftop has some spectacular views of Medellin breathtaking. Our rooms very nice decorations my only complaint was the bedding, I would prefer a nicer duvet for the bed it would enhance the beautiful decor, and no iron in the rooms I almost freaked out but they ofer a pressing service at a charge, still I missed my iron, the bed was very comfortable. a bit noise during the nights but nothing out of the normal during such a busy festival week.The views from our rooms were the best, each morning looking at those beautiful green mountains of Medellin. They will be missed. The restaurants on site were great specially the savannah city. Very nice we had dinner twice each time it was great. Breakfast was so good, the arepas and queso are amazing and every day something different was being served. After we checked out only one complaint the front desk attendee tells us that we have an extra charge we ask for what and she explains the hotel insurance per person per day, it's not much of a fee but at check in we were not informed of such insurance so I believe that it's not fare that such charge should be paid so she very nicely told us to just sign that we did not accept such charge. I recommend you to stay here totally worth it!!!,

Room Tip: Just ask for the best view of El Poblado!!,
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Orland, California
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a really nice hotel with pleasant views of Medellin, close to night life but is one of its foibles. For those who do not "party" until dawn, you may be rudely awakened at 3 in the morning by the revelers when the bar downstairs closes. There is nothing more disturbing than hearing rude people turn on car radios at 3-5 in the morning because THEY are not done drinking and partying. Even hotel guests are rude and speak loudly and slam doors at all hours of the night and early morning. I was more exhausted by these difficult revelers than I was from my day time activities. If the people do not awaken you, then the screeching brakes on the buses or the roar of the motorcycles and mopeds will. Bring ear plugs. It will be your saving grace.

This really takes away from the hotel, which is decent. The wait staff in the restaurant are cordial and professional. The food is tasty albeit bland by my taste-buds. Breakfast is complementary which by far is the best serving they have. Fresh prepared omelets, fruits, and a wonderful selection of prepared buffet items.

The rooms are good but the heater/AC unit in ours did not function well and we could not make it warmer at all. The beds are hard but I believe this to be all accommodations in Columbia. Both my husband and I felt bruised each morning as our a little older hips and shoulders hurt each morning.

Nice place but too loud for a return stay.