“Another great stay at Diez Hotel”

Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia
Ranked #17 of 112 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I still love the design, service and breakfast! Our room, this time in "Pacifico" was comfortable and beautiful. The location is good for walking to many cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. in the Poblado neighborhood. It's also possible to get a bus right across the street from the hotel, to the closest metro station, which we did several times. Finally, the service was superb - our stay was booked for a month earlier, but we had to cancel our stay very last minute. The staff helped us rebook for a later date, with no fees, no hassle, only friendliness and a helpful attitude!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed here for 10 days for a wedding. Very clean and great view in the room. Super cold AC and the Internet is OK. Flat screen tv n the room and frig are some of the things in the room
PROS
The maids come to clean the room throughout the day if they missed the first go around. The replace the sheets too instated of just making the bed. The also leave a sweet treat
My girlfriend and I ate at the sushi restaurant on the first floor, after leaving, we forgot our left overs. The staff manage to look up to see if I was staying in the hotel, call me up and deliver my left overs to my room!
The whole staff is real nice. The ordered us a pizza at a local Dominos since we didn't speak espanol AND they delivered to our room!
CONS
No shampoo or lotion in the rooms. Bring your own. No Comedy Central on tv

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Billy D
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Out of a month travelling in Colombia, staying at accommodations of every sort and every standard, the worst part of the trip was Diez Hotel in Medellin because of the problems we had there, and of those, the worst was the bill and hassle at check-out. They surprised us with a bill for over $500 for one night for a standard room, when there was nothing special that happened in the hotel or in the city that night. The desk staff were quite derisive when I tried to make inquiries about the rate, and did not connect me with management as requested to pursue the issue. A quick Internet search showed that the hotel mostly rents for approximately $100 per night so it was a smack to be told that the price wildly exceeded that. I understand that I should do my research and pin the hotel to its rates in writing in advance, but it seemed like brutal opportunism on the part of the hotel to overcharge so excessively, and then treat us poorly on top.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank termascda
Reviewed December 7, 2012

No expense was spared when designing this hotel. It is beautiful to look at; but visit, don't stay here. We stayed four nights and the designer beds were uncomfortable and dangerous...keep hitting my shins on the frames...The walls appeared to be paper thin. The noise from the hall and rooms adjacent were as if it came from our room. Three complaints were made to the front desk and no action was taken. I guess they are now forced to ignore this aspect of the hotel.(see other reviews). Again, the gym on the top floor was beautiful to look at but lacked a bench to use the weights...although there were beautiful wicker lounge chairs....The breakfasts were great and the staff there were fantastic...the only redeeming quality. To top it off, we used an internet "booking" service and was quoted a price for the four nights. It appeared to be pricey but reasonable for four nights Medellin. However, when we paid our bill, we paid $169.00 for the first night, and $550.00, $77.00 and $77.00 for the second, third and fourth. There was no special event in either the hotel or Medellin that would warrant a $550.00 charge. So lessons learned: if you must stay here, deal directly with the hotel to determine prices per night for each night, bring good earplugs and stay away from on-line "booking" services.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor where no one else is.....make sure you have the whole floor to yourself if...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rypnhammer
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Located only a few blocks from Parque Lleras, this hotel was a great base camp to explore Medellin. The neighborhood was safe and comfortable (two women traveling) and there was no shortage of restaurants, bars, and cafes. The hotel is about a mile walk from the metro (much quicker than cabs). Then hote staff was pleasant. Our room was spacious. Breakfast is served on the rooftop terrace and included a buffet of continental and Colombian food. This was our best value hotel during our 10 day trip to Colombia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AElizabeth
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Very Pleasant hotel with an eco- theme, great views, breakfast on the rooftop and about three restaurants in house.Its very modern and clean with sweeping views from the room. Also quite interesting artwork noted.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

As soon as I stepped into the Diez Hotel I knew that I would have a great stay! The look is very modern and uncluttered. There are a number of nice restaurants in the hotel and many more in the local neighborhood. My room had incredible pictures and interesting artwork on the walls. I enjoyed a comfy bed and a large bathroom with a big shower, too. I'm sad that I didn't get to spend more time relaxing in the room. I hope to have the opportunity to stay at this location the next time I'm in Medellin!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business