“Not Improving”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After several visits over the past couple of years La Albufera is becomnig less and less impressive. The wait staff seem less skilled - and are less helpful - and the food although interesting sometimes seems to lack some care in preperation. At a recent meal neither I, nor my dining companion, felt that well the next morning.
It is an out of the way part of town, and it's worth seeking out. It's not cheap by Medellin standards, but still something of a bargain from an international perspective. Each of the different rooms has it's own distincitve feeling. It's busy enough and pull the locals in - which is of course a good sign.
However I do believe that the standards are slowly dropping

Reviewed July 1, 2012

When we booked our table, the intention was to include the Flamenco show, however the morning of our reservation they rang to apologise, and said it was not on that night, at least they rang...

The Restaurant is easy to find, and on entering, the atmosphere is immediately Spanish (as in Spain). The Staff are very friendly, and welcoming, for the price, maybe a little too familiar. Having looked at the menu, I knew immediately what I wanted, and found the Waiter's attitude, that his recommendation was a better one, unusual, however when he saw the look on my face he backed off.

When we made the reservation, my Wife was informed that every ingredient was imported from Spain, I don't think so! The menu is limited, and may well be authentic to Valencia, however having lived in Spain for six years, I only recognised two dishes on the whole menu. Saying that, the food we had was excellent, although at the price it should be.

Will we go back? I loved the atmosphere in the Restaurant, and for that alone, I may well return, however at their prices, I'm afraid I won't be a regular.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Another overpriced and underwhelming international dining option in El Poblado.

Stopped in for an afternoon lunch. The waiter was very friendly and attentive. He suggested a good bottle of Spanish wine that only cost 50,000 COP ($25). We had the meat and cheese plate as an appetizer, which was pretty good, but nothing you couldn't find at the Carrefour grocery store.

As a Spanish restaurant, Paella should be one of your signature dishes and I can honestly say this was the worst Paella I have ever had in my life. It was entirely bland, as if they had only used yellow food coloring instead of saffron (a definite possibility). You could tell the mariscos were frozen and tasteless and I know, it's landlocked Medellín, but it is possible to get halfway decent seafood here.

For the price we paid I was extremely disappointed. Nice atmosphere and incredibly friendly staff though.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

I really spending an evening's escape from the bustle of Medellin at this charming and romantic restaurant. The staff were charming and we really did not need the menu as we were give excellent recommendations both for food and wine. I am going back again next week and will make it one of my favourites in Medellin.

1  Thank Colin M
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We had a wonderful meal at La Albufera. we went on thursday when there was live music.The restaurant was busy when we arrived but we were greeted by our friendly waiter Flavio and the two owners. The service was excellent and the food delicious. Not too expensive, extensive wine list. nice cute restaurant and in a great area. we found this place randomly on the internet and was a great fine. go and enjoy. on a side note, we have a little spanish enough to get by, but the staff dont speak any english, didnt cause us any problems

1  Thank imsoanirishgirl