“a little more attention from owner would help”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 61Prado Guesthouse

61Prado Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 103 Hotels in Medellin
Santa Monica, California
“a little more attention from owner would help”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Very nice staff, owner, and regular/repeat guests. A comfortable feeling to the place. Some glitches: morning industrial washing machines and nightly fireworks in area made sleeping difficult. (Maybe it was a Christmas month thing, but, in Medellin fireworks sounds a bit ominous.) Language barrier was not a real problem, except for one desk employee who responded to my stating a number of times, in my mediocre Spanish "I don't understand you" with repeating the same things over and over, while the owner stood there oblivious to my frustration. I finally turned to him and asked for a little help, which he gave. Meals were usually fine, except for one one of frozen bread and cold soup. My laundry was lost for a while, but found. The roof in the eating area leaked. The desk staffer forgot to wake me for my airport ride, though luckily I got up without it. My big complaint was that the night time desk man lied to me when he told me that he had no way to reach the owner in an emergency. Clearly, he was instructed to say that, even when I asked about a possibly serious problem (which luckily was not). One short phone call to the owner would have put my mind at ease, but that was not possible. The location was not a problem--taxis were fast and easy to get, though the drivers were uniformly maniacs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Amsterdam
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice guesthouse. Friendly staff. Well located in central medellin. Room was clean and comfortable. Only con: be prepared to wake up at 7, if you have a room adjacent to breakfast area. Other than that, great value!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'm a critical traveler. This was also my first time to Colombia. 61 Prado made the trip for me -- $40US, help-yourself beer (for $1!), and great people made it a place I looked forward to come back to after a day of trekking. The room was great, huge, and safe. The rooftop provided great views for drinks and hanging out. I could go on -- but really have no complaints.

Not only do I recommend Medellin and Colombia as a destination, but get out of the Medellin suburbs and tacky high-rise hotels. Check out 61 Prado and experience Colombia as it should be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tonyandersen
Davos, Switzerland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

In Poblado is the party scene. It has many restaurants and bars. The metro is far away. It is noisy and expensive. But the "night-life" takes place in Poblado.

Prado:
Daytime: The center is in walking distance to parks, churches, museums, shopping, etc.
At night: Bad neighborhood, deserted, only a few restaurants, many alcoholics and drug consumers.

Guesthous 61Prado: 2 blocks from the Metro, good kitchen (small selection). Luc, the owner is Dutch, he and his staff are very friendly and helpful. Beautiful and large rooms, hot showers, clean, wifi in the room.

Here I get the same or better price for a much nicer room with private bathroom.
Conclusion: In the evening, take the metro to Poblado, a taxi back. (10,000 pesos).

I was several times in 61Prado, total of more than three weeks. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms with windows to the outside, not all have it.I prefer rooms with windows to the outsi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Hans-Ueli F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm torn about this place. The hotel itself is great for the cost: the common area is nice, clean and cozy. The rooms are basic but clean (no bathroom amenities but a tiny soap) and the staff is very friendly and nice (liked the breakfast and their honor-system bar) however:
the blocks surrounding the property are residential but after that, they are a little bit frightening. The hotel is 4 blocks from the metro so it's convenient, and maybe 8-9 from the Plaza Botero and the Antioquia Museum; unfortunately, there's a lot of people doing drugs in the streets, sleeping in the sidewalks, beggers and sketchy characters.
I was there alone (female solo traveler) and I felt uneasy walking to the metro and surroundings and not to mention is almost unthinkable to walk around at night.
As much as I liked the property, Poblado is a better option for solo travelers even if it's not as close to the major sights in Medellin

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank KarlaN
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is about the third time I stayed at this hotel. For Medellin, it is a better one for its price class. The Staff are generally excellent. They missed a laundry here and there and I had to lift the toilet tank cover to flush the toilet but they are so nice I feel bad even mentioning this. Even If I mentioned this to them they will be more than happy to response, probably even give me a new room if I ask for it. I find these problems are so minor I won't even bring it up. I mention it here to be realistic to people who read my reviews.

the security is the same as my last review of this hotel. They do a good job of securing the premises. they have good dead bolt locks at the entrance. the hotel access are for hotel guests only.
The area is generally safe in the day time. At night there may be some homeless people wandering about but there are also some street vendors that may provide some security. Try to head straight to the hotel when you got out at night. Avoid aimless wandering in the area at night. if you happen to wander at night, I think you will be alright, just be cautious and watch your back.

They gave me a large room when it is not taken. The room I am in now can probably fit a whole family. The closet is big enough for a kid bedroom. it is well cleaned.

Easy access to the metro train line. about 5 minutes walk.

Happy Travelling!

Joe T

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Joe T
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Most of the reviews are positive which is my impression too given the reasonable price. However this isn't the best place to find food. Other than at the hotel. The owner never showed up even when 2 people needed to pay in the am. The poor cook/housekeeper had to deal with the exchange. They don't take credit card. Only Paypal or cash in US or ¥ or pesos. The rooms are huge. We had 2 bedrooms and an enormous bathroom but it smelled of sulphur or some unpleasant odor. The cupboard was musty the sheet had a hole in it, the bathtub wasn't cleaned well from the last occupant and I found a centipede in the bedroom. Nevertheless they are very trusting people. There is a fridge where you help yourself to beverages and note it on your bill. But dealing with the payment is awkward if person responsible isn't around. Ophelia helped us to call the airport taxi for the next day (it's $25)and used her own cell to call Cali for our reservation. So it's pluses and minuses here. Food is fine.

• Stayed June 2013