“Fantastic Location, Very Hip Atmosphere”

Casa Kiwi Hostel Medellin
Ranked #46 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I really enjoyed this place. The location was the best in the city. They have a gorgeous patio area for hanging out, eating, buying a beer or two from the bar. (Try the kind they have on tap...very tasty and you can sample until you find your favorite).

The kitchen is great...big and clean (though it can get quite busy at certain times of the day). My only issue? On Friday and Saturday nights, they have a DJ in a common area. Good music but LOUD. We were placed on the first floor, by the computer area, in a triple room.

The music was loud but people were talking until 3am that night. Annoying. It is definitely a party atmopshere.

So...if you want quiet, try to get a room nearer the top floors or else, be ready to party.

Go on one of the tours...whether it's the Pablo Escobar tour (if that's your thing) or the Turibus one that leaves at 9am and 1am from the park just down the hill...you'll get a great overview of a GORGEOUS CITY.

Room Tip: Definitely on a high floor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Recently renovated, very clean, modern hostel. HOT showers, modern kitchen, clean rooms and bathrooms. Cool rooftop area. Exito across the street which is very handy. Helpful staff (especially girl at the desk). Pablo Escobar tour and footy match was a great experience. All round good hostel. In a really nice area, very close to zona rosa

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hostel itself is pretty well presented, in a good location in Poblado. There is a large downstairs bar/social area (you can buy beers over the road in Exito and bring them in, no problems), a pool table, and a small but adequate kitchen. There are a few hammocks halfway up the building, and a rooftop area with a 'swimming pool' (more like a plunge pool, but I didn't really fancy the look of the water in it!).

The hostel is VERY sociable, so great from that perspective. But if you fancy a night off, or just want to sleep, it's going to be hard! The exceptionally loud music from the bar ends at about 1.30 am, then drunk people running through the hostel slamming doors, shouting etc ends at about 3.30am, then the cleaners start shouting at each other through the corridors at about 8am.

So if you bring earplugs, it would prob be fine.

Dorms were COP 20,000, Private doubles ranged from COP 50k - 70k.

Room Tip: The higher up the building you are, the quieter (and more expensive) it is.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PLPKN
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hostel itself is great, in a perfect location (very peaceful yet super close to the bar district and decently close to the metro for going into town) and has everything you could want in a hostel- bar, tv, computers, kitchen, pool, roof top terrace... but the staff is incredibly unfriendly! Other than opening the door for you and taking your money, asking them anything seems to be irritating. After a couple days we started to feel a bit put off by the way the staff acted too cool to help guests with anything, and left feeling a bit like it was money poorly spent. Most of the rooms seem nice but we were in the "dungeon" room as we called it, at the back behind the computer room- if that is all that is available you should probably look elsewhere!

Room Tip: Not the back room on the first floor! It is like a dungeon!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mggl
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We are currently staying here but felt obliged to say something. We checked into here late on the night and after a long bus journey we would have been happy with a park bench inside a cave to rest. This was a bit better....just. There is a serious damp problem in the rooms downstairs. We are not fussy and didnt care too much as a room is a room but after spending a night in there all our clothes were damp. When we asked to swap the day after we were told there was only another room available which was out of our price range. We thought perhaps we were being abit over the top so stayed in there again. We now both have sore throats AND damp clothes. Punishment I guess for being too lazy to change rooms. I am really disappointed in the manner of which we were spoken too when we swapped rooms today and I explained I really dont think that room should be used in its present condition. " If somebody looks at the room and agrees to stay then thats fine with us". The dorm room next to us had the same problem as a big group of lads checked out that room saying it was too damp and they were getting sore throats. The flip side is that the bar area is a nice place to chill out, it has a cosy clean kitchen and the rooms upstairs are much better. Our shared bathroom was a bit grim but I'm guessing thats down to volume of people in the hostel over the weekend. On the whole I would say its a busy hostel and with that comes good and bad things. The plus side is its a great place to socialise, the down side is you there is that you become just another tourist in a sausage factory, they are happy to treat you rudely in poor rooms because they CAN as there will be another Gringo ready to fill your space....

Room Tip: Refuse point blank to sleep downstairs. Damp is a big problem which judging by the reply we were met...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danny M
Reviewed May 7, 2012

very nice hostel...the stuff is really friendly. The kitchen is a little bit small but the dorms are ok, have lockers and are clean. the vibe in this hostel is very good. Its not a party hostel. There is a big TV room, a pool table and WIFI that works:-) the location is a little bit far away from the metro station (15minutes walk).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This review is a bit late, I stayed here two years ago in April of 2010. My fiancé and I got a private room which had its own bathroom/shower and small balcony for $30 American, I mean you can't beat that. No, it was not the largest room, but it was $30!! It has a bed, shelves to store things, the bathroom was clean, I mean what more do you want for $30? I will say, though, that I'm glad I brought ear plugs because our room was directly over the patio where people hung out late into the night, and there were a lot of street noises. But, again... $30. The place itself is well kept and nice. It has many levels and nice details, like planters with colored lights, that just really give it a hip, fun atmosphere. There were plenty of hammocks on the upper deck where I read a book completely undisturbed. Unfortunately the rooftop pool was under repair when I was there. The staff was friendly, and (when I went, anyway) there was just an honor system for the beer on weeknights. You grab a beer, then put a tally mark next to your name on the clipboard. We weren't aware those were only the weeknight rules, though, so when my friend went to grab a beer on Friday night he got yelled at. I would think they would understand this is confusing for the guests. The large deck by the street provided a great space to talk to other guests, I had a blast meeting people from all around the world. I would also like to note that this was only my 4th time leaving the country and I speak very little Spanish, so to say I was nervous about staying in a Colombian hostel would be an understatement. I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations and would go back again in a heartbeat. It was walking distance to Zona Rosa, a very nice part of Medellin. It was a little bit of a walk to the metro, but we made the trek frequently. A couple of times we were too tired and took a cab. If you're traveling on a budget but still want a private room, this is the place.

Room Tip: I think the private room is worth the money ($30 American), but if you are on a really tight budget...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends