“Nice staff, great value but ....”

Palm Tree Hostal Medellin
Ranked #19 of 216 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice staff, great value but ....”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I had an OK private room. It was rather small room, just large enough for a bunk bed (yes, a bunk bed). The staff was very nice, knowledgeable and always happy to help. The hostel was basic but nice. It was clean and had a good atmosphere. I did like my stay there even for the following negatives. My bed was rather small. If you are over six feet (183cm) the bed will be too small for you. The mattress was firm but just fine for me. The biggest problem I had in this hostel was the cigarette smoke. There is a rule forbidding people from smoking inside the building, but it is a bit of a joke. People are allowed to smoke in the "outside" areas which are still under the building's second floor. There is nothing to prevent the smoke from going inside the building. At times the smoke was quite overwhelming as the building, including my room, was just filled with cigarette smoke. ( I suspect that some people were actually smoking inside their rooms.) I rated this hostel with low overall rating just because of this problem. Otherwise, I quite liked this place. I can only recommend this hostel for smokers and shorter people.

Room Tip: The private rooms are a good value.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank povetron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Have recently stayed at the Palm Tree and it is one of the better hostels I've stayed at in Colombia. It is in a fantastic location with a great tv room, courtyard and reasonable kitchen. The staff are very polite and attentive. the rooms are very comfortable though basic and very quiet. The only negatives are the lack of windows in the rooms and at times the staff can be overly strict in enforcing the rules and some of the kitchen equipment needs replacing. The court yard area is amazing and provides a tranquil oasis in which to read and relax. It is exceptional value for money. I higly recommend it and my only regret is that I didn't stay here on my first visit to Medellin.

• Stayed May 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

The hostel itself was great...the staff are great...the lady that cleans the place is probably the nicest, kindest person ever. She took me to the pharmacy to get medication for my back and really looked after me. However, three out of four people in my dorm had back problems and I am currently considering cutting my trip short because of one - either caused or aggravated by the horrendously hard beds (and I usually like beds on the hard side) They may as well just put people directly on the floor!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the prison cell 6 bed dorm
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Medellin is a romantic older city. The staff are very alert to your needs. A hostel is not a hotel, yet most hotels in colombia would be considered motels in the usa.

The rooms are small but well kept. At $18 a night for 2 that's a great value. The super market exito is less then 1/2 a block away.

The bus are near, taxi's are inexpensieve and the metro is 8 blocks away. The atmosphere is friendly and warm. Unlike most hostels they provide with soap and a towel. Also 1 egg two slices of bread. You can cook there and everyone cleans the kitchen. Not to forget the free coffee

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank Ausaman
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Pretty good hostal.. Good kitchen and a nice little outside bar. Showers were only just warm which is the only negative. So close to supermarket and metro. Owners very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Welsie
Cali
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I have been here several times and it has been one of the most wonderful experiences. There is always nice people to guide you, explain the basic stuff and walk you to the metro if necessary. It is clean, well located and safe. You could have one of your best times in this lovely place

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Yayita_10
Portsmouth, UK
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I stayed here a while ago and was happpy with what I got for my money.

The hostel is in a great location , right by a metro station and a the biggest supermarket i have ever seen in my life! We bought and cooked our own food several times in the kitchen to economise.

The hostel has an outdoor patio area which is nice to sit back with a beer and chat to other travellers.

I stated in one of the dorms whcih was clean enough with comfy beds. My only niggle was that there are no lockers so I was a bit concerned about my passport/money, though nothing went missing I'm sure this was more down to luck than anything else.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends