“Good hostel with ideal facilities for travelers - like kitchen with really good utensils etc and free wifi. Good location. Nice ”
Review of Hostal Tamarindo

Hostal Tamarindo
and 1 more site!
Hostal Tamarindo
Ranked #51 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Enjoyed staying here. Good facilities for travelers. Kitchen is good. Free wifi (but doesn't reach top dorm A) and bed not the most comfortable but still able to sleep. very clean hostel as housekeepers always cleaning etc. Very good security as doors always locked (which can be a bit of a nusense as when you want to go out there is hardly anyone there with the key so have to wait around for a bit) Natalie speaks great American English so very helpful but other staff do not speak any English so it's hard to communicate if you can't speak Spanish. Perfect location right by the zone rosa and opposite minisupermarket. About ten min walk to metro. Best option if casa kiwi is full!

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed December 26, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in this Hostel for a week. We wanted a quite and clean place near to the Parque Lleras, the party district in Medellín, and this was a very good option. We stayed in a private room with private toilette. The room was very tidy and the whole hostel was quite. Staff was friendly. A really cheap, quite and clean option.

Before taking this room, we visited other hostels in the area, but it seemed to us that this was the best option.

Room Tip: We took a private room with toilette. This room was in the front of the building, so we could hear t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Great location, only a 5 minute stroll to a bunch of restaurants, bars and discos for nightlife, but secluded enough to get a quiet nights rest. Only a ten minute walk to the el to see the rest of Medellin. I stayed for 4 days, flew to Cartegena, and then returned for 3 nights. If you want a frat house there are several other viable options around the corner. I stayed in hostals for 2 months while travelling around S. America and found this to be the cleanest hostal with the best kitchen. Natalie, the owner, was very friendly. will go the extra mile (she took me downtown to go shopping), and is fluent in English. If you're a hooligan and can't be respectful of fellow travellers be wary because she runs a tight ship.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Staying in the zona rosa (popular going-out area) of Medellin isn't cheap, but this place was a lot of money for few benefits. Four of us (2 couples) had to share a room with a double bed and a bunk bed because anything else was way out of our price range. We paid 100,000 COP (about $50, very expensive for Colombia) for this room, which had hard-as-rock mattresses and no character. We were consoled about spending so much money by the promise of a kitchen and dvd room, so we could have fun inside the hostel and save some money. But the manager was unbelievably fastidious about the cleanliness of the place that it felt like we were stepping on her toes by cooking in the kitchen. After 9pm, she was so determined to have the hostel quiet as a tomb, she wouldn't even let us continue having a conversation at a reasonable volume, or watch a dvd at a volume which we could hear clearly. She even got angry at another guest for coughing too much, inside his room! Definitely not a good place if you want to do anything but sleep inside the hostel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2011

After arriving in Medellin without reservation, we took the taxi to this hostel which was recommended by a tour guide in Manizales. We were well received by Natalie, who informed me she was the owner. She was very nice and informative, and it was not possible to bargain with here as in many other places in Colombia. But fair enough, I think the double room which we got was worth the daily rate. The location was nice, the room clean and the service provided to us by Natalie herself was more than we can expect from a hostel. However, I feel that I have to inform people that the other employees were not that nice to us. We do not expect to be treated like at the Hilton when we check-in to a hostel, but we do expect some mutual respect and friendliness. After all, they work in hospitality, and they should not behave the way they did with us: It was especially one of the women working there, she is quite a bit older than Natalie. She asked very rude questions to me and my friend, which had nothing to do with our stay there our tourism in Medellin at all. Among other things, she told my friend that she suspected that a lot of gay couples were staying at this hostel from time to time, and at the same time she asked my friend if he was just my friend or more than that, and she also asked a lot of other questions about me. He felt very uncomfortable with this older women insinuating that we were more than friends, and we did not feel that it was her place to comment and have fantasies about the private lifes of their guests. I have stayed in hundred of hotels in my life, but never had a situation like this. She also did not treat us with respect prior to this incident. We had our laundry done, and this woman washed, dried and folded out clothes. Several sweathers and t-shirts were returned shrunk, and when we informed her about this she just shook her head and said oh...ok, and turned around and continued doing something else. However, on our last day, she appeared to have changed her attitude a bit, and she even went in her way to help us with tips about other destinations in Colombia and hostels in other cities. However, the sum of it all: If this woman had a bad week, I hope she got over it. If this was representable for the way she behaves with guests, I humbly suggest her to look for another job.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karlhansen
Reviewed March 5, 2011

OK, let's be thorough here.
I and two others arrived and were handled with care by Natalie at 5:45 am this morning. But after being woke up(after I had tip-toed with care prior) by a loud dorm mate three hours later, I went downstairs to check in/register and was treated like garbage. It wasn't Natalie but maybe her mother ...not sure and don't care. She was acting like I was intruding in her house and had that very memorable look of someone who just hates to be bothered by anybody with anything. I occasionally witness this behavior when traveling and running into someone that is in the travel biz but hates to help people ...therefor hates their job and is miserable when you ask a question like "excuse me do you offer clothes cleaning here"? After 4 other similar experiences I decided to cut my losses and find another hostel/hotel immediately.
After 3.5hours in total I politely paid for one full night/day.
Why do some people put themselves in a position of such misery ...she can do something else and should. As for Natalie ...get rid of that woman ...even if it is your mom!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Emailed owner, Natalie the night before intended arrival to check on availability and was promptly responded to. Arrived and greeted by one of her staff and shortly thereafter Natalie was there to say hello. Got get info on local area (in English which was greatly appreciated after a week of traveling in Columbia with my limited Spanish). Room was clean, basic and better than expected - only complaint would be street light beaming into bedroom all night an not enough window shades to allow for a good (dark) night sleep. We did both get cold in the night too, and it would be good to have more blankets in the room available to cover up with when cold.

I would surely come back here again and the amenities of kitchen access, small seating area for eating, wireless access, just a pleasant couple of days. The area the hostel is in also is just wonderful for walking around (young people everywhere at night). Lots of bars, clubs, locals hanging out and although some of the bars are expensive, you can buy your own beer/wine, etc. and just hand out in the Parque...and socialize, no problemo as long as you don't overindulge and make a fool of yourself!!! I love Columbia!

• Stayed: September 2010