“Great Hotel -- But Be Careful With the Reservation”

NH Collection Royal Medellin
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Very nice hotel. Quiet and clean. Professional staff.

I’ve stayed at the Medellin Royal during each of my half-dozen trips to Medellin.

I recommend reservations via Expedia, Travelocity, or other third-party site.

You’ll lock in a rate instead of, let’s say, a more ‘flexible’ rate directly via the hotel.

I’ve always used a third-party site but decided to deal directly with the hotel on my most-recent visit.

When checking out, the rate for part of my stay was 44% higher than the reservation quote.

And, though the reservation was made, and reconfirmed, for a room for two, a ‘guest’ charge was also added to the bill. Maybe it's in the fine print. Two named guests in a reservation for two--but there's an additional 'guest' charge if the two named guests actually stay in the room.

It’s tough to argue with a night clerk – he probably earns in a week less than many of us earn in an hour and is just trying to make it through the night.

But for that, a great hotel. I’m sure I’ll stay there when I again visit Medellin.

I’ll just be sure to use a third-party site for my reservation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ciao F
GuestServiceRoyal, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at NH Collection Royal Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Mr Ciao.
Thank your very much for your comment.
Please accept my apologies for the incident you have refered to in your comment.
I would appreciate if you please may give me your reservation details (date, name etc) and I would check what happened with your check out bill.

Kind regards.
JUAN PABLO CORREA.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had the chance to stay in multiple occasions in this Hotel for 11 months, due to professional matters in the beautiful city of Medellin.

I have only words of gratitude for every staff member in this hotel, especially for the front desk team, the bell boys, Enrique the sales manager and Maria Teresa the general manager who with her delicate feminine touch makes everybody feel just like home.

I hope that in the near Future I can have the chance again to visit Colombia again, and especially Medellin, with no doubt at all I will choose this lodging option.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GuestServiceRoyal, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at NH Collection Royal Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Mr Gocaes.

Thank you very much for such kind words about us. You can not imagine how satisfactory is for us that you Mr Gocaes have this level of satisfaction with our service.
Your oppinion also gives us as well a new challenge, to exceed your expectactions in your new visit.

Thanks for gave us the great honour of being your hosts.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Good experience had at this hotel, good rooms, good location, friendly staff & very professional service staff. Good gym as well as safe environment. Clean room & good view. High rise floors are very good, I got one of that. I will stay again at this place during my next visit in November.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GuestServiceRoyal, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at NH Collection Royal Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Sir.
Thank you very much for your kind opinion about us.
We are so much looking forward to satisficing you and all our guests completely.

We are very proud of being your home in Medellin.
Thanks for chosing us.

Kind Regards.
JUAN PABLO CORREA M

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed here twice on business and look forward to going back. Breakfast on the patio by the pool is excellent! Nice piano bar in the lobby, and hotel staff give good service. I like the location for business and shopping.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Room 506 great view, the hotel Staff are awesome , they give their best to consent you, great location Santa Fe mall its 1 minute walking, excellent design its my 4th time in Medellin and this Hotel its by Far the best in Medellin

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest.
Our gratest goal is your complete satisfaction. Thanks a lot for such generous comments about us.
Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity of being your Host.

Yours Faithfully.
JUAN PABLO CORREA

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed with my GF for the weeknd 2 nights in the highest floor. We had the best view of the city. Shopping centers are very near by walking distance. Metro station is near (5 min.) but you have to take a taxi.

We were greated excellent, asked for my room to be decorated and it was. High quality breakfast and the poolside area was very nice too.

The staff was super nice, always atending our needs super fast. I would recomend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Top floors have obviously the greatest views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestServiceRoyal, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at NH Collection Royal Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Mr. “Nykogut”

For all the team members of our service staff, it is very rewarding to receive positive comments as the one that you posted.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience in the hotel, thereby thousands of TRIP ADVISOR users can get information about our quality and the advantages of our surroundings, and privileged location.

Hope to have you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Medellin Royal is a really modern, clean and classy hotel located in the nicest part of Medellin. The rooms are spacious and mine had amazing views of city (room 910 !!).

There is also a nice swimming pool and two jaquzzis by the side. A nice bar and restaurant also help make this an excellent hotel.

I paid around $150 USD a night which I thought was a decent price. Although Colombia is way safer than its stereotype suggests, I find it always best to be on the cautious side and for Medellin I would suggest you stay in one of the nicer hotels (like the Medellin Royal) in the Poblado Neighbourhood.

Opposite the hotel is the Santa Fe Centro Commercial which is full of shops and restuarants. About 5 mins taxi drive away is Parque Lleras which is full of bars and clubs and probably the best place to go at night (is perfectly safe). The hotel can help arrange taxis if you dont feel like flagging one down on the street.

I did however have a problem which I did not find acceptable. The wifi barely worked for the whole two days I was there and when it did work it was impossibly slow, rendering it pointless. I complained 3 times to the front desk and our "floor manager" but nothing was done. It was suggested to me that the problem was with my iPad, but I had just come from a business trip visiting 5 different countries in the region and had no problems whatsoever in hotels, restaurants and airport lounges. When travelling on business internet access is vital, so felt very let down by the Medellin Royal. Would have given 5 stars had it not been for that.

Room Tip: If you like good views ask for one higher up (I had 910 and it had a great view of the city, better...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NigelTufnell
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear Mr. “NigelTufnell”

It is for all the members of the work team, a great honor to receive opinions in which our guests share with all the users of trip advisor their experience, including the good and not so oif our service and location.

Thanks for talking the time, to post your experience.

The departments of maintenance and communications are working to fix minor problems of interference that are causing multiple situations as the one you described.

We hope that in the near future we can have the chance to host you again here in the best hotel of Medellin.

Esteban Gonzalez C.