“No Bueno..”
Review of Tiger Hostel

Tiger Hostel
Ranked #30 of 239 Specialty Lodging in Medellin
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The only positive thing about this hostal is the location. First, on the website it states that it accepts Visa and Mastercard, and had me give them my credit card number to reserve a room, and they don't.
Second, the young ladies at the front did not describe anything about the hostal. Nothing about the tours, the breakfast available for purchase, or the fact that there are computers available upstairs. And to put the icing on the cake, the 4th of July party lasted until 2:00 am and that's only because I came out of my room to ask them to turn the music off. All I heard all night was the girls from the front screaming. They definitely expressed more hospitality towards the male guests.
Also, the fan available in our room was covered in dust, and the kitchen is gross.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lainez2786

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Tiger Paw lived up to its billing. Comfortable beds, friendly staff and excellent location. Was there during its July 4th party. One of the better parties I have been to down here! The hostel is located 1 block from the start of Parque Lleras (restaurant/bar area of town). Its also about a 5-10 minute walk from the metro and 2 grocery stores. So you will have no shortage of food options at any hour of the day.

The hostel also offers a number of excursion options in case you wanted to go paragliding or just get outside of the city.

Its the first hostel I have been to that consistently has hot water and good water pressure. This is definitely a place I will be staying when I get back to Medellin!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Most of the 3 key women running the front-desk are helpful except for the darker-skin toned lady. I paid 60,000 peso per night for a private room without bath. I was worried the parties happening downstairs would keep me up at night. No such thing happened. I had earplugs, a fan and could sleep well. And I am a very sensitive sleeper. I was in room 8 on 2nd floor. Showers were clean.

Of all things, only 1 internet PC works out of 4. Huh? Can't the owner splurge a bit to get the PC's working.

Insist on a room on 2nd floor. A guy complained because we were too loud at the bar and he was on first floor.

I had to wake up at 420am and the women incredibly made sure I woke up. That was good.

Location is totally awesome to the party area. Security is good too. Great place for young party backpacker types but a bit $$$

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank marcpoloswisss
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This hostel was advertised as having themed parties, trivia nights and a social hostel. This was not the case, it was so boring every night. No more than two people at the bar each night.

Except for one girl during the day time, the staff are so rude. Doing the basics seemed to be an inconvenience to them.

The room was nice, with plenty room. The bathrooms were very clean. The location is perfect. Shame about the boredom... we moved to PitStop.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I had initially given 3 stars and a bad pun in the title "Paw-fectly OK" but on reflection I wouldn't recommend and I think merits the 2 stars. If you are going for a double room then try and book the 1 en-suite room, It's a little more expensive but way bigger and brighter (and has a bathroom obviously)

The Good:
- Great location in Poblado
- Clean and well presented
- Our room (double / ensuite) was great - large & bright with a comfy bed.
- Free internet terminals plus has free wi-fi

The Bad:
- No kitchen that can be used by guests
- Laundry - wow this was really bad - expensive, had to wait 28 hrs to get back, and half our stuff was missing (in with other loads etc)
- Generally poor service from staff - E.g. More interested in chatting to friends / only 1 staff on for the bar and the desk etc / specifically have to deal with the cleaners for laundry even if they were busy and the desk staff were not
- Loud (we stayed at the weekend but plenty of people making noise through the night to 5 am)

Overall it doesn't look a bad place and is in a great location but I think it would really benefit with better management

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdeEccles
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Hi All,
I've been in Medellin 5 days now, stayed at tiger paw and now moved to my own apartment.

For starters the hostel is owned by a new owner as of a few months ago... The dorms are small but adequate. Non residence individual arent allowed past the pool table. Dealers are rampant, however aren't allowed in the hostel any more.

Music goes quiet after 12pm when people go, WiFi is tempermental, but its working 95% of the time.

Please keep in mind this isn't a party hostel, its a homely small hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank AshCoh
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I've been in this hotel for two nights with my boyfriend and I certainly can say that since we are traveling through this country we've never been hosted in such a bad place. The private room is small, dark and with a window next to the main hall, not mention the smells of insecticide that has persisted throughout our stay there. The bed deserves a special complaint, it is not as comfortable, its composition of wood borers could not give us a good night sleep even if you are tired. The shared bathroom is filthy, bring your flip flops and be prepared to face it. What we know as "party hostel" for this hostel is just loud music until late at night. The kitchen has absolutely nothing, besides a refrigerator and a stove, two pans and cutlery .... besides running the risk of having your stuff stolen in the refrigerator. The "Free WiFi with the Highest speed internet offered in Medellin", according to the website, is really slow and is always on and off. All this for more than 30 USD per night. My advice for you is try to look for something better for the same price or less (in the same neighborhood there is plenty of hostels).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple