“Had a nice time here on business”

Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin
Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Medellin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here for two nights while in town for a conference.

The pluses:
-clean, comfortable rooms
-amazing views of the city from throughout the hotel
-reliable wifi (which is a big plus considering how hit or miss wifi can be)
-good AC/water pressure
-very good service
-affordable rates
-good location

The negatives:
-bed has a plastic-y thing under the sheets and isn't as comfortable as it could be
-leaky sink (in my room anyway)
-the food in the restaurant is not great
-thin walls

Overall, for a short business trip, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderBalzan, Guest Service Office at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear guest
We would like to thank you for your comments and we are pleased to know you've enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
It is part of our quality policy to consider our guests' comments to improve our service. Rest assured your comments will be taken into account.

We welcome your next visit.
Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel, and frankly it has taken a step back ffrom previous. the rooms are clean and modern, internet functions well, no outstanding complaints per se, other than a malfunctioning toilet making noise all night. but the service and attention is down a bit from previous trips. a hotel cannot rest on past reviews. this one needs to get bback on track if it wants to regain with me its excellent rating. it is run by the same group as the Medellin Dan Carlton.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderBalzan, Guest Service Office at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear guest
Our main interest is to provide memorable service experiences, we have always targeted that our guests check out feeling satisfied and coming back again like home.
We regret what happened in his last stay, we will work together across all departments so such situations do not occur again.
We hope to see you very soon and will be a challenge for us to exceed your expectations.

Thanks for your feedback

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My Mom and I stayed here for 9 days, following a surgery at a Medellin Clinic.

From check-in to departure our stay was very smooth.

Lovely clean rooms with an incredible view of the city. Medellin resembles a vast city dropped into the middle of an oasis - stunning, so we loved the huge landscape views from our room.

Service and food was impeccable!!!

We enjoyed many meals via room service which were a wonderful standard - restaurant quality. The food is so delicious we found it a hard decision to dine out of the hotel. Breakfast was incredible and did not even nearly get bored of it - even after 9 days. Faber and Orlando gave us very special treatment, thank you both.

Perfect location for everything - 2 malls in easy walking distance.

Loved the complimentary granadilla in the lobby - what a lovely gesture.

Thank you Johny at front desk and thank you to all the team.

We will return at some point soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest
We are proud to have met your expectations. In the past 7 years we had adopted a quality policy that is based on continuous improvement and this element allows us today to provide one of the best services in town.

Feel always welcome here like home, and we hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 5, 2014

This hotel was voted the best business hotel in Medellin and for business men it may be just fine, but for a solo traveler on holidays it has some very real drawbacks. First the construction—the room walls are much too thin so that I could hear my “neighbor” drop his toilet seat or cough—neither one a pleasant sound in a hotel! Secondly, the pool was closed during the time I needed it to teach swimming to a local resident. The front desk wanted to charge me $25 for my guest and had NO idea of the pool maintenance closure. When I told them that the pool was closed hey told me to walk two blocks and swim at another hotel because the pool had “maintenance” problems. At the time I was asking for the pool there was NO one working on it and the water was clear.

Thirdly, at the restaurant I was given only ONE glass of water and the waiter, a pompous-looking man, did not pour me another glass, but refilled the water glass of the Spanish-speaking guest who was seated at the table next to me! There were only two tables occupied at this hotel restaurant. The asparagus soup was very thin and watery with floating cheese that smelled like old, wet gym towels! The fettuccine was excellent, but I left no tip because of the rudeness of the waiter.

Finally, The front desk makes many mistakes and frequently provides bad information, not knowing what is going on in their hotel. Checking out takes much too long and again, there were problems with my bill that needed to be corrected. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My second overnight stay in Medellin brought me to this hotel, recommended by a business partner. Smooth check in, nice service up to my room and explanation of facility, amazingly quiet overnight even for someone used to the quiet. Breakfast buffet with a huge variety and eggs made to order, attentive service, easy check out despite lack of flexibility on how to phrase invoice.
Good choice of restaurants, bars and shopping facilities within walking distance and the neighborhood is safe for walking.
The only thing I missed was liquid soap, but this is an issue in many even better hotels across Latin America.
So, all in: when back in Medellin I'll most likely stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014
AlexanderBalzan, Guest Service's Office at Hotel San Fernando Plaza Medellin, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you to let us know how much you liked our hotel, more so when you has been recommended by a partner.
It would be a pleasure having you here again.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I spent six days here on a visit to Medellin. It is in a very good location. Walk to the left and you are in the upscale business/shopping section in El Poblado, the wealthiest part of town. Walk to the right and you are about ten blocks from the restaurants and action of Parque Lleras. But in Medellin, a taxi to anywhere is five or six dollars or less so location is more a question of style of hotel you want and noise level. Hotel San Fernando Plaza is just off a main road and behind San Fernando Plaza so the rooms are quiet as is the very expansive pool area that is one of the biggest in-city pools I have seen. Very nice staff. Only a few speak English but non-Spanish speakers will do fine. Everything in the room is squeaky clean and I saw the house staff washing the shower curtains each dat which says something about cleanliness. Not a fancy five star, but for South America a solid and very comfortable four star that could pass any North American standard. The views from the high floors (I was on the 11th) are outstanding and you can't hear traffic but for an occasional horn. We were happy with our choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vermontman

Dear guest,

We are more than pleased with your comments, it is an honor for us to have guests like you. Our aim is to provide the highest quality and make our guest's stays memorable experiences.

Enjoy your travels and hope to see you soon again!

Kind regards

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Not a bad hotel in Medellin if you can catch a special rate. Twice stayed, I rented a luxury room once and then a normal room. Luxury room came with a huge balcony with great views of the city, all the standard amenities, decent furniture and bathroom (but not high end). The average room was fine for a three star hotel. Problem is the bed was has hard as a rock. I like a very firm mattress, but this was ridiculous. Awoke maybe 6 times in pain like I slept in the floor. Nice lobby, easy to check in, everybody speaks English, restaurant looked good as did the pool (for a city hotel). Clean, but cheaply appointed (grout needs attention and some wear for a new hotel.) Good location is hard to beat in El Poblado. Easy and safe taxi service and parking if needed. Attached to a small outdoor mall with food court, and a few stores. Dry Cleaners next door as well. Really very nice staff as well. I would say a 4 star hotel for Medellin - good, but not very good or excellent. Spotty WiFI as well in the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear guest

All the comments are welcome in order to improve our service, our main goal is to offer the best service in the city and this is the best way to know our own weaknesses.
All our staff at front desk and many of our bellboys are bilingual, maybe some of theme are kind of shy but they all can attend any request.
Give us the pleasure to have you here once again.

Best regards