“Just Wonderful”

Hotel Pueblito Playa
Ranked #58 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Brain and his staff made my short stay in Cartagena just wonderful as they made me feel right at home. I have a health condition where I can not handle hot weather well, I knew Cartagena would not be easy for me but the Hotel made me very comfortable all 3 days I was there. Brain is warm and friendly and well known worldwide in the Food Industry so don't miss his amazing breakfasts. The hotel is a great value for the budget traveler and has an amazing location just off the beach. Hope you enjoy it like I did and give Lulu his adorable dog a big hug for me :)))

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you, Bill, for your kind review. It's good to know that the family atmosphere we try to promote is appreciated. I once read '' a client is a friend I haven't yet met '' and this sums up my own approach to my hotel. As I live in the hotel, the Spanish '' Mi casa es su casa '' is how I want my guests to feel.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Pueblito Playa

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hotel Pueblito Playa during a recent stay in Cartagena, we initially reserved the hotel for 3 nights only but we were so happy with chilling in Cartagena we decided to stay for an extra 3 nights, when those 3 nights passed we decided to stay another 3, so we ended up in Pueblito Playa for 9 nights!

The reason we only booked in for 3 nights initially was because we had heard a lot of stories of Cartagena been so expensive for hotels, restaurants, tours etc. we have been travelling round Colombia for 7 weeks now and it is the most expensive city we’ve stayed in on our trip, Cartagena is probably one of the main places in Colombia to visit, it seems to be in a lot of the tourist brochures and promotional videos, I think you can make Cartagena as expensive as you want it to be, if you eat out in the best places every night and go out on the town all the time then you will spend a lot of money

Pueblito Playa ticked the right boxes for us, very reasonably priced and close to the beach, we paid roughly £28 per night for a double room with private bathroom and air conditioning, I read some bad reviews on here about the hotel but our room was spot on, cleaned every day, fresh towels and fresh bed sheets every second day, no complaints from us

The breakfast you get every day is a fair old size, it certainly sets you up for a day in Cartagena, pancakes first then a variation of eggs, i.e. omlet/scrambled/fried with sausage, fried potatoes, toast, arepa and fruits, served with fruit juice and coffee, we were finding that because the breakfast was so big we didn’t really have to eat much at lunchtime, sometimes just a sandwich from one of the local supermarkets, sometimes we didn’t even need to bother eating at all

The owner of the hotel is a lovely guy from England and gave us good tips on where to eat in the Old Town, El Balcon was a good recommendation……….. Thanks Brian!

All the staff in the hotel are really nice, polite and helpful, if you are looking for the Ritz don’t come to Pueblito Playa but if you are looking for a good budget option with excellent staff look no further, the hotel has a real family feel about it, we really enjoyed our stay here and if I am ever in Cartagena again I would stay here no problem

I hope the hotel is a success and I am sure it will be if they keep up the good standards, I wish Brian and the staff all the very best for the future

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are probably quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Good Morning,
What more could any hotelier ask for ? Thank you so much for your comments and it was a pleasure having you as our guests. I hope the rest of your time in South America is as enjoyable. Fair comments about Cartagena.
Please let me know if you get any reaction from your friend at Single Buoy. Small world.

Bon Voyage !

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in two different rooms, and the room change made all the difference in the world. The first one was really dingy and had a strange smell. The second one was much nicer and more comfortable. My biggest issue was not something at fault to the hotel, but the halls echo very loudly. This was especially frustrating when a church group staying at the hotel was singing worship music at 5am very LOUDLY. I wish that the staff had asked them to be quiet for the other guests.
The breakfast was huge and delicious! And the British man running the place is amazing.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank KKwebster4
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that not all our rooms are up to the standard I want, but we are redecorating as fast as our finances allow. I am pleased the second room was to your satisfaction.
Regarding the church group and Colombians in general, they are sometimes very early risers and unfortunately they expect others to be the same. We do try to keep them quiet but it's not always easy. In Europe and the U.S. we try not to disturb other people, but here, it was explained to me, they play music very loudly so that you can enjoy it as well ! A different mentality.
Very glad you enjoyed our breakfasts. Thank you for the personal compliment.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is really great value in Cartagena. Cartagena is super expensive, so I think you'd struggle to do better at the same price. The hotel is in fact in Bocagrande, which is a US$3 taxi to the old town.
As the owner Brian admits, this place is not to the standard of the Hilton or any of the boutique hotels in Cartagena - he has no intention of ever making it so, and wishes to keep the place affordable for budget travellers.
It does have clean rooms, clean bathrooms, comfortable beds and aircon that works. If the aircon in your room doesn't work, ask to change, because the staff are reasonable and friendly and they'll most likely be happy to accommodate your needs.
Brian can help with parking, pets, restaurant recommendations and if you ask enough questions, he might tell you a thing or two about his life (or the whole story!)
Thank you to Brian and all the staff for a wonderful stay and best of luck with the continued work into making Pueblito Playa the #1 budget option in Bocagrande. Regards to Lou-Lou too, the cutest French Bulldog this side of the Atlantic.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you, Simon, for your comments. You hit the nail right on the head when you said I wanted to keep the hotel affordable. Good, friendly service, a great breakfast and a good night's sleep is what I am aiming to offer. Thank you also for the compliment to Loulou, the best girlfriend you could wish for !

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Pueblito Playa and were pleasantly surprised. We had a very spacious room (# 320) with AC, a sitting area, an extra single bed (not needed for my husband and I), an ocean view, a safe and a clean bathroom. Everything we were looking for. There are very few options to stay in Cartagena in the $60 (USD) range. If you are looking for Ritz-Carlton style accommodations, this is not the place for you. However, if you want to be close to the beach in Boca Grande and stay in a clean, cool room, it's an excellent choice.

The owner Brian is a lovely English chap, with a lot of information to share about what to do in Cartagena, as well as other trips nearby. Brian bought the hotel only a few years ago and he will be the first to tell you that he is constantly working to improve it and make little changes everyday so that his customers have a pleasant, comfortable and happy stay. The breakfasts are hearty and plentiful, with fresh juices, coffee, eggs and fruit. We felt the staff was friendly and helpful too. To top off an already wonderful experience, Brian was kind enough to watch some of our luggage while we explored Tayrona National Park. Thanks again Brian. We hope to return someday soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha R
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you, Samantha, for your kind comments and an honest review. Very much appreciated and a pleasure to have been of service. I hope you return some day.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Everything looks old and broken, the bathroom was not clean when we checked in and the sheets and towels don´t look new either...
The location is GREAT (one block from the beach) but the place needs SERIOUS renovations.
The painting on the walls looks bad, some wires were hanging. the window didn´t close well, etc...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AGF2013
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

I dispute this review ! Whilst it is true that I am up dating and decorating the hotel, to say it needs serious renovation and everything is old or broken seems to imply a certain blindness on the part of this reviewer. A number of rooms have been totally redecorated as has the entrance hallway. Anything that gets broken is immediately replaced. Just look at some of our reviews to get a more balanced opinion. All our bed linen has been replaced in the last 18 months - I don't know of any hotel where you would be lucky enough to find brand new bed linen, especially a budget one. If you are worried about a few loose wires on the ceiling, then I suggest you don't come to South America, where electrical standards are certainly not the same as in the U.S. or Europe. I don't know what this client expected from a budget hotel, but I repeat just look at some of our other reviewers comments. If you wanted Egyptian 300 thread cotton sheets and an immaculate paint job, I suggest you try the Hilton, but don't be surprised to find the odd loose wire.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I came here based on the trip advisor reviews. I was expecting basic and hostel quality but was dissapointed. My sheets were not very clean, though the room was. The sheets and towels are not cleaned each day. The AC is old which is ok but makes a lot of noise. The bathroom is cleaned each day.

The owner Brian is very nice and helfpul but he is the only one that speaks English. This isn't a bad thing, just might make it challenging.

Breakfast is good and varies each day.

Location is right near the beach though 10 mins walk from busier part of the mains street. This didn't really bother me though.

All in all even after spending 2 months travelling with basic accomadations and staying in hostels, I find this expensive for the quality.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank canadiantravelgirl26
loulouperra, Owner at Hotel Pueblito Playa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to make your comments. Firstly I would confirm that we change sheets and towels every other day, although if clients make a specific request we can do this every day. With regards language, our manager and receptionist have been taking English lessons every day for the past two weeks. We are renewing all the air conditioning room by room, however our location next to the beach means that our units are subjected to sun, salt and sand every day, which makes for continual maintenance ! Glad you enjoyed our breakfasts. I am working every day on up grading the hotel and in spite of your comment about rates, we are certainly the best located and one of the most reasonable hotels in Bocagrande. Cartagena, unfortunately, is an expensive city and this is reflected in prices everywhere.