“Very nice!”

Hotel Pueblito Playa
Ranked #62 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was in this hotel together with my girlfriend in august 2012. We both like the hotel, the very good service, the breakfast and especially the location close to the beach very much! I would definitely book the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Its difficult to know how to write a review for this place. Its owner, Brian, would be the first to admit that this place isnt the Ritz. It's a fairly tired old hostel which Brian has recently bought, and is slowly rennovating. Its so incongruous - a small hostel in a shopping mall surrounded by ultra modern, 5* skyscraper hotels. However, I hope this place is never lost, as its a fine example of a decent, honest little hostel that allows travellers to stay in an expensive city at a reasonable price. The rooms are basic, but well sized and have air con (a real bonus given the humidity in the city). However, the real star if the show, as others have said, is breakfast. The most generous and hearty breakfast we have had in three months of travels in South America, and one of the few worth getting up for: arepa, chorizo, fruit, fried potatoes, toast, fruit juice, coffee, egg...amazing, and very generous. As for the owner, Brian, well he just seems to want to see people happy and enjoying the city he has settled in after a life travelling around the world. We really enjoyed chatting with him, and his recommendations for places to eat and drink were second to none (a special shout out to Isabella's cafe for their fine coffee, and where we seemed to catch up with Brian most days). Other staffmembers were equally helpful, and the quality of the cleaning done each day was brilliant. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AceVenturer1985
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I came to Cartagena alone to start the first leg of my Colombian journey. I booked a room at this hotel because the reviews here at Trip Advisor spoke well of the place, and because the price was right. I'm glad that I stayed here.

Well-organized, clean, friendly, safe, and knowledgable are the adjectives that come to mind first when I think of my stay here. I stayed for four nights at the beginning of my trip, and the last night before my flight back home. Brian, the owner of the hotel made this place feel more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. Speaking of breakfasts -they spare no expense when it comes to breakfasts here (they were huge and delicious. I didn't need to eat lunch because they were so filling!)

I'm used to staying in pretty good hotels here in the 'States. The usual chains you would think of. This place is not like that. The rooms are not luxe nor cutting edge. But keep in mind how little you're paying. But they went way above and beyond considering how much time they were happy to spend helping me find the tourist, historic, and nature attractions that I was looking for.

The wireless is good enough, the AC is good by Colombian standards, and the location is killer whether you want to visit the Walled City or spend time on the beach. Hotel Pueblito Playa is a home run in my book.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff for what you want. They're really helpful and friendly.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adam0926
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were traveling to Cartagena for the first time and completely relied on tripadvisor to help us locate a hotel that was in a great location and more bang for our buck!!! Thanks to the wonderful reviews we read about Hotel Pueblito Playa it was all we had hoped for and more...Brian was an amazing host and really watched out for us...he helped us make tour arrangements, suggested restaurants and always made sure that we were enjoying our time in Cartagena. Brian and his staff made an amazing breakfast every morning for hotel guests...The beach was 2 minute walk from the hotel and the Old City was a 5 minute cab ride. If your traveling to Cartagena for the first time you should consider staying with Brian - you won't be disappointed! We hope to see Brian again soon....Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Every room had a TV, AC and free Wi-Fi what more could you ask for......
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank amon0124
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We initially booked one night here but it soon turned in to three.
On arrival we were met by a lovely receptionist who took us to our room. We were travelling South America for my husbands birthday and at the same time celebrating our wedding anniversary.
Though this is a budget hotel they put us in one of their best rooms. The hotel has good standards. Nicely decorated, a very nice bathroom and above all else clean. It is located iin possibly the best spot of Cartegena. Two minutes walk to the beach and just ten minutes walk to the old town.
Though on a main road it is quiet at night so you get a good night sleep.
The owner Brian is great. Entertaining and above all else very helpful in a country where few people speak English. He gave us some recommendations for our onward journey that paid off. Thankyou Brian.
You will read all sorts of reviews as we did but rememebr this is budget price in prime location. You definitely get your money's worth.

Room Tip: Ask for the red room. Double glazed and a great shower room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JudithChalmers_10
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I cannot say enough about the terrific service at Hotel Pueblito Plaza. Brian is a fantastic host, and the staff obviously enjoys working for him. Our 2 small dogs were welcomed with open arms by both humans and the in-house dogs. We spent more than a week at Pueblito Plaza while we waited for our vehicle to arrive on a boat from Panama. I cannot think of a nicer place to be "stranded." The location is great--in sight of a nice beach, and surrounded by plenty of restaurants, bars, and shopping. Brian is a fountain of Cartagena info, from recommended vets to restaurants. And finally, the breakfasts . . . delicious, varied, and ample! We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a street-side room, but were not bothered by the noise. If you are a light sleeper, you migh...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was trying to kind of "rough it" on this trip, but promptly booked out of the hostel my friends were staying in and instead booked into this hotel. I had read all of the reviews and it seemed promising.
It was just what I needed - clean, well kept, friendly, AC in the rooms, great area location, even TVs. The rates are awesome. Breakfast every morning is included and was really great. The beach is a block away.
But the best part about my stay is that when I got sick after a couple days out of town with my friends (got sick upon return), Brian (owner) brought me toast and juice not only in the morning but also in the afternoon as I was recovering and needed sugar and some food. I couldn't leave the hotel to get it for myself, and it was such an enormous help! I was incredibly grateful.

If you're looking for something affordable that can suit your needs with friendly staff and a great breakfast, lock this place down. No complaints at all.

Thank you, Brian, for your help.

Room Tip: Just try to get a room away from the reception, as people tend to be loud speakers, early in the mor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo