“Very Good Hotel in Great Location”

Hotel Dann Cartagena
Ranked #19 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Canada
“Very Good Hotel in Great Location”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Dann Cartagena for four nights in August 2014, and overall we were impressed. We stayed in a two bedroom suite on the tenth floor (Room 1003, to be exact), and it is absolutely huge! Not only is Room 1003 huge, but it has a balcony with an amazing view of the beach and the city skyline. Our balcony provided us with opportunities to take awesome pictures of the sunset, as well as many of the scenic views of the city and beach. I thoroughly enjoyed the pool, and its proximity to the beach is perfect. While I read stories about being harassed at the beach by vendors, I did not experience any harassment at all. I think that this was because I left everything at poolside and went to the beach to enjoy the beautiful water.

In addition to the location, another positive aspect of this hotel is the complimentary breakfast, which provides a wide selection of choices. The staff are friendly overall, too, but we ran into a cranky waiter in the restaurant.

The only thing that stops me from rating this hotel a 5 out of 5 are the two things that people have mentioned before: the cheapness on the towels (one per day) and the lack of an exercise room. Heck I would even give it the hotel a 5 out of 5 if it had an exercise room. This is a big area that is lacking.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Hotel Dann Cartagena, and I would stay here again in a flash. They just need to get an exercise room.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jay T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Dann for 8 nights and really enjoyed our time there. We booked the hotel and airfare through JetBlue vacations and the choices were down to the Hotel Dann and the Hilton which was a little further down the road. The Hilton was obviously the bigger name, further from the main drag in Bocagrande, and did not include breakfast. After booking the Hotel Dann I read some of the reviews on tripadvisor and some of the negative reviews stuck in my mind.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't understand why anyone would give the hotel a negative review. I have a feeling some people want the $500 dollar a night hotel experience but only want to pay $100 bucks a night for it.

Our room was clean and spacious and had a balcony with a city view...we pretty much had beach views for anything north of the hotel, plus the bay view on the backside of the hotel. The bed was a very comfortable king sized bed and the room was meticulously cleaned everyday. The closet contains a safe with a key pad for valuables and the room contains a slightly-smaller-than- full size fridge/freezer(which also doubles as the mini-bar). The only drawbacks in the room are the wifi can be spotty during peak hours and the water pressure is a little weak, but get the job done from a rain shower head.

The pool is good-sized, but you need to get out there early to stake your claim to the primo seating. The beach is accessed through the pool area and the gate(more like a picket fence gate on hinges) is always manned by a member of the security staff. The beach was something that I thought would be a cause for concern based on some of the negative reviews on this site, but reality was much different. Pre-trip, I thought I would walk out on the beach and immediately be surrounded by money hungry natives trying to get my hard earned dollars and if I denied them I would be cursed out! The reality is...if one of the security guys thinks it's your first time out on the beach they will give you the rehearsed warnings: you are going to offered at lot of things, don't buy anything, don't eat anything, don't drink anything. There are canopies out on the beach available for hotel guests and if you do choose to occupy one you will probably get offered several things: beer, seafood, necklaces/bracelets, fruit, ice cream, massages, jet ski rentals, boogie boards(the only things we weren't offered were drugs and sex!!). We chose not to use the canopies and when we were ready to go to the beach we just left our stuff at the pool and walked out to the beach. To demonstrate just how great the staff is: we headed out to the beach in bare feet(not wanting to leave out flip-flops on the beach) and realized about 5 steps off the boardwalk leading to the gate, that the sand was red hot and we high tailed it back to the cool grass. One of the security guys told us to wear our flip-flops to the end of the boardwalk and after about 20 feet the sand texture changed and was much cooler underfoot. He told us to leave our flip-flips, he would pick them up, and would put them back in the same spot when we were on our way back to the pool. It was a small gesture, but absolutely something he didn't have to do. Awesome hospitality!!

The one thing I had low expectations going into the trip and high praise after the trip was the included morning breakfasts. Some of the less than glowing reviews on here made it seem like they were throwing out some crappy lunch meats and coffee and that was that. Everyday there are three types of fresh juices, 4 types cold cereal(with milk and liquid yogurt), sliced lunch meat and cheese, 4 types of cut fresh fruits, a cauldron of homemade soup, 3-4 chaffing dishes with empanadas/arepas/sausages, an omelette station, and toast/pastries. The waitstaff is constantly hovering around with vacuum bottles of colombian coffee and hot milk...hot tea was also available. I couldn't quite understand why anyone would poorly review the food quality of the hotel and insinuate that the food was low quality. The food was fresh, very tasty, and replenished quite often. We did have dinner at the hotel restaurant on two nights and the food was right up there with some of the better dinners we had on the trip. The Cartagena style fried fish with the whole red snapper, coconut rice, patacones, and salad was one to the best meals all week. Dinner for 2 was around $40-$50 without alcohol.

The hotel is very clean and all you have to do is sit in the restaurant during breakfast to see the constant activity. The staff is hard at work cleaning the pool, arranging the chaise lounges, and tables, as well as mopping the lobby floors and cleaning the seating.

The staff was great and barely lets you carry your own bags, is always there to hail a cab, and right there to greet you and open the cab door for you upon arrival.

There are a couple of convenient stores within a stones throw of the hotel for drinks, snacks, and light groceries. The Nao shopping center which is about a 5-10 walk north of the hotel was a great place for lunches and provided good quality food in a modern, clean, and air conditioned area.

Learn the phrase "no gracias" because you are going to use it a lot!! If you walk on the beach or just around the immediate Bocagrande area you will be offered a lot of stuff and away from the beach it will be mostly hats and sunglasses. A polite "no gracias" go a long way and if you are cool with the vendors they will be cool with you!

I would definitely stay at the Hotel Dann and if your choice is between that or the Hilton just keep in mind that the Hilton is probably 10 minutes further away by foot from the main drag in Bocagrande

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mjpastore
San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is very nice. Not quite big but not a boutique hotel either. It is located in the new área/neighborhood and you can take a taxi that for 8 dlls will take you downtown to the walled city. The rooms are amazingly huge and comfortable. Yoy can walk around freely even with lots of huge bags. The hotel rooms facing the beach on the west side are the best wih a wonderful view from the balcony.

All hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good but nothing extraordinary, though still nice. Lobby and lobby bar are small and kind of dark at night. Pool is large and clean. Keep out from the beach and be aware that along the hotel beach area there are lots of local sellers that really bother tourist to buy something from them.... very teasingful.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms facing the beach on the west side are the best wih a wonderful view from the balcony...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jose Luis G
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Good & What Keeps It From 5 Stars

The Good:

1.) The employees! Always willing to assist with a smile! I have never encountered better employees than the Hotel Dann – and I have stayed at a lot of 5 Star hotels.
2.) It is a non-smoking hotel! Wonderful!
3.) Rooms contain security boxes (in-room safes).
4.) Rooms are big enough, modern, adequate bathrooms and new televisions.
5.) Located right on the beach and has a clean pool.
6.) I cannot say enough about how wonderful the employees are.

What Keeps It From 5 Stars:

1.) No work-out facility (exercise room)
2.) Check-out process is about 30 years behind times. But this is Colombia – everything is more complicated.
3.) Towels are rationed. Two people, 2 towels for all day/night. Considering the hotel is on the beach and Cartagena is very hot (shower frequently), more towels would be helpful.

Room Tip: I have stayed at The Hotel Dann several times and I think all the rooms have a sea view. The way th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tacoma1980
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Pros: beautiful and tastefully designed rooms, accommodating staff, direct access to the beach (rare in bocagrande), good variety in the breakfast buffet, early check-in when available.

Cons: price is the same as a 5 star hotel such as Hilton or Caribe. AC was not working properly and it was never fixed, pool is small and a bit too warm.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Marcos G
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed 2 days at this hotel with a friend, and we've been disappointed. Even if the staff was very friendly and helpful, the price we payed for the room seemed really out of proportion with the quality of the hotel, who is somewhat aging. But the worst thing happened on the last night: at 10 PM we wanted to invite two female friends up to our room to have a drink before leaving to the club but the security stopped us from doing so. Now I could understand if the hotel policy prevented customers to bring prostitutes to the hotel, it could even be a state law like in Cuba, but these girls were friends, not sex workers and obviously European so security couldn't have possibly thought they were prostitutes. One of the security guy got even violent at one point. We were treated like vulgar scoundrels, our friends like hookers and management didn't feel the need to apologize the next day. I strongly advice anybody against staying at that hotel

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ben_RC2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went on holiday with my family and I have to say that the staff was really friendly and always with an smile. The food was really tasty and with a beautiful presentation, specially breakfast. Rooms were really clean and modern, great mattresses and pillows. Great location and 3 minutes walked to the beach, spot on.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are the best and more expensive, however, if you ask for a upgrade with sea vi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family