“The Good & What Keeps It From 5 Stars”

Hotel Dann Cartagena
Ranked #19 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Good & What Keeps It From 5 Stars

The Good:

1.) The employees! Always willing to assist with a smile! I have never encountered better employees than the Hotel Dann – and I have stayed at a lot of 5 Star hotels.
2.) It is a non-smoking hotel! Wonderful!
3.) Rooms contain security boxes (in-room safes).
4.) Rooms are big enough, modern, adequate bathrooms and new televisions.
5.) Located right on the beach and has a clean pool.
6.) I cannot say enough about how wonderful the employees are.

What Keeps It From 5 Stars:

1.) No work-out facility (exercise room)
2.) Check-out process is about 30 years behind times. But this is Colombia – everything is more complicated.
3.) Towels are rationed. Two people, 2 towels for all day/night. Considering the hotel is on the beach and Cartagena is very hot (shower frequently), more towels would be helpful.

Room Tip: I have stayed at The Hotel Dann several times and I think all the rooms have a sea view. The way th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tacoma1980
Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Pros: beautiful and tastefully designed rooms, accommodating staff, direct access to the beach (rare in bocagrande), good variety in the breakfast buffet, early check-in when available.

Cons: price is the same as a 5 star hotel such as Hilton or Caribe. AC was not working properly and it was never fixed, pool is small and a bit too warm.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Marcos G
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed 2 days at this hotel with a friend, and we've been disappointed. Even if the staff was very friendly and helpful, the price we payed for the room seemed really out of proportion with the quality of the hotel, who is somewhat aging. But the worst thing happened on the last night: at 10 PM we wanted to invite two female friends up to our room to have a drink before leaving to the club but the security stopped us from doing so. Now I could understand if the hotel policy prevented customers to bring prostitutes to the hotel, it could even be a state law like in Cuba, but these girls were friends, not sex workers and obviously European so security couldn't have possibly thought they were prostitutes. One of the security guy got even violent at one point. We were treated like vulgar scoundrels, our friends like hookers and management didn't feel the need to apologize the next day. I strongly advice anybody against staying at that hotel

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ben_RC2013
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went on holiday with my family and I have to say that the staff was really friendly and always with an smile. The food was really tasty and with a beautiful presentation, specially breakfast. Rooms were really clean and modern, great mattresses and pillows. Great location and 3 minutes walked to the beach, spot on.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are the best and more expensive, however, if you ask for a upgrade with sea vi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank CarlitosDuke
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I can't say enough about the Hotel Dann. It is absolutely fabulous. I am a traveler, and I'm very particular, and I couldn't be happier with my choice of the Dann. The staff is great, especially Jorge at the desk and Jesus in the dining room, but everyone is very warm and welcoming. My room, which was as spectacular, is going to be hard to leave. Opening the doors in the morning and listening to the waves was just the best. The food in the restaurant is very good. Breakfast is enjoyable and one night I ordered the Hamburger and it wad delicious.
If you are coming to Cartagena, I highly recommend Hotel Dann.

Room Tip: Ask for a King Superior Room with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank LadyKiss
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in March 2014. I had a problem with my reservation and they fixed in 5 minutes, by giving me the Penthouse. Wonderful and excellent cost benefit hotel... Pool in very nice, coffee is ok, but not bad. Well located about 10' with taxi from the Ciudad Amurallada.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leandro A
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at the Dann Hotel in Cartagena for four days: Monday February 17 through Thursday, February 20, 2014. When we arrived at the hotel they immediately upgraded us to a suite with a balcony. The service was amazing, the hotel is impeccably clean. The suite was awesome, comfortable and the view was just breathtaking. We enjoyed the pool and also the beach is right in front of the hotel. On the first day we went out to the beach and used the tens and chairs from the hotel but there were lots of street vendors. On the next day we used the chairs next to the pool, which is very big, and just went out to the beach go in the water, which was much better. The breakfast was fine, and the lunch we ordered by the pool was delicious. I highly recommend this hotel. We also took taxis to the historic district and it was only 15 minutes, all taxis charged only $3. I can't wait to go back to Cartagena and to the Dann Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple