“Beautiful historic house now a quaint peaceful hotel”
Review of Alfiz Hotel

Alfiz Hotel
Ranked #5 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I call this a hotel but it has more of a b&b feel to it. It's in the heart of the historic center and just a short walk to most of the popular areas, but you would never know it bc it's so quiet and tranquil once you are inside of the gigantic wooden doors. Inside the centuries old house has an authentic feel to it, beautifully preserved with added modern conveniences like a pool and AC. Cartagena hotels are known to be extremely over priced and to me most of them are not worth the moeny. This hotel is priced right and definitely made our 2 night stay comfortable and affordable. My only suggestion would be to add a full length mirror or even a mid size one bc the only one they had was over the sink.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was very disappointed for my stay at Aliz Hotel. There were many issues that I despised. First, they were not accommodating at all for my family. The staff kept on complaining because my son was playing in the lobby. This was simply poor customer service. The second issue was that they charged me the IVA. Hotels should not charge IVA to guests. The Colombian government has stated that foreigners should not pay IVA. I found out about this rule after I had left the country. Unfortunately t he hotel took advantage of my ignorance and charged me for it.

The hotel breakfast was not good at all. They kept on serving me the same fruits every morning and nothing changed. We were suppose to stay for five days and ended up staying only 2 days.

To top it all off, the hotel room was not very clean. We kept on finding dead roches in our bed. Not a good sign for a hotel that markets itself as a luxury experience.

We ened up going to the Hilton Hotel. It is not as glamorous but at least the service was good and the food was fresh. The hilton did not charge us the IVA.

Room Tip: The location was good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kagen M
Reviewed June 23, 2012

After a non-stop tour around South America we were looking to treat ourselves. The Alfiz did not disappoint. Immaculately renovated and tastefully decorated, this boutique hotel made us feel like we the only guests. The staff bent over backwards to make us feel at home and went above and beyond the call of duty to attend to our every need - right down to providing us Aussies with 'vegemite' for breakfast! The central location was perfect for wandering around the meandering streets yet the enclosed courtyard design provided a quiet sanctuary from the hustle and bustle. An absolute gem.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I loved this hotel. We stayed in the junior suite for two nights and felt like we were in the Captain's quarters of an old ship. With beautiful varnished wood, spanish style architecture and furniture, an enormous tub, comfortable bed, AC (which is really important in Colombia), and a cool loft layout, it was awesome. Beyond the room, the staff were incredibly kind and accommodating. From arranging taxis, holding our luggage when we left Cartagena for a week to do the Ciudad Perdida Trek and visit Tayrona National Park. Other things to note - delicious breakfast and excellent common areas, including a garden, living room/library, and roofdeck with a jacuzzi that you can fill with cold water.

Room Tip: Loved the junior suite - second floor, right in front of the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Afiz Hotel offers sound value in a city where hotel prices are very high. Located within the old town, this old Spanish Colonial home exudes ambience and is within an easy walk of all the historic sites. We opted for a suite on the second floor which was spacious and comfortable and I could survey daily life on the street below from my bougainvillea balcony.
The staff are polite and very helpful, breakfasts were a treat and the library great for Gabriel Garcia Marquez enthusiasts!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I‘ve stayed at Alfiz my wife for 3 nights. We had a wedding in town and we have made a broad search before we booked Alfiz.

The price was high, but I think that is a problem with Cartagena, all hotels cost 50% more of what they should.

The Alfiz is 17th Century house, very well preserved, once the doors are closed one feels isolated from the rest of the city and that could live at this small mansion.

The rooms are big and a bit dark, but I believe that’s a part of the atmosphere. They have tinny closets, tinny safe, but a very nice Tub.

The breakfast is very nice with fresh products and the staff is friendly and ready to serve you well. The juices are different every day and they are very tasty, and the coffee, it’s delicious, after all we are in Colombia!

The house has a small pool, very refreshing in the Cartagena weather, but the pool is so small that only 2-3 guests can be there at the same time, we were lucky that the Hotel was not full… They have a nice terrace on the 2nd floor, I wonder why they don’t make a pool there!!!

What I liked more about Alfiz was the freshness and cleanliness of the place and also the fact that once the door is closed one goes back in time… That’s why I say, the more nights you spend the more you want to stay.

Room Tip: Book a room on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pedritocalheiros
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Be aware that in Colombia a ' boutique' hotel is not synonymous with comfort & luxury as it is in Canada. It merely means that a hotel is housed in a restored 17th century house or mansion.
Alfiz Hotel has the perfect location within the walled city. It is within walking distance of all main attractions and a short taxi ride to those outside the city..
Staff are wonderfully attentive, extremely helpful, and have a basic understanding of English.
The hotel is very clean, good ambiance, attractive little courtyard, and an excellent included breakfast.
On the downside, do not expect coffee makers, Kleenex etc. Lighting is too dark to read, & closet space is non-existent. My room had a small patch of mould and five days later the patch was 2 ft. x 3 ft. There is a small safe in the room - but it is not fastened down & easily removeable from the room.Ground floor rooms are noisy.
The pool pump goes on & off all night, water sprinklers start at 5.30 am, noise from the reception & kitchen starts at 6.30 am. Construction next door begins at 7 am!
The website photos are a little deceptive. The pool is about the size of a large bathtub and in a squeeze, the area around it can accomodate 2 loungers. Be patient - wait your turn to lounge.!
At $180+ per night for a single room, was it worth it? For me definitely not. If you are only staying for one day, you might enjoy the novelty!

!

Room Tip: take a room upstairs & avoid all the traffic between the reception &kitchen
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo