“Exceptional Oasis w/Outstanding Personalized Service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Casa Boutique Veranera
Ranked #117 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Casa Veranera
Hidden Gem in the Walled City of Cartagena
Upon entering Casa Veranera from its unmarked doors on the street, I knew I was stepping into an inspired charming oasis of unique distinction. The attractively tiled floors, archways, and creatively cozy courtyard were my introduction to Casa Veranera as I sipped my welcome (fruit) cocktail. Local artists' work filled the walls. Jazz music filled the room from the nearby I-Pod and Speaker system. Marilyn checked me in, and she ended up being a wealth of advise and assistance throughout my stay. Jose Luis tended to my luggage, but later I learned he would also be fixing my breakfasts (fantastic!), and helping me in untold other ways. Jose Luis was often there with a genuine smile ready to be of assistance in so many ways. Katrinn was the last staff member I encountered ( worked nights), and she was another pleasant, warm, and helpful person. My stay was comfortable, but what made it especially memorable and enjoyable was the staff. My interactions with them actually formed my first impressions of Colombian people, and their kindnesses will be a positive lasting memory of my trip.
Casa Veranera has plenty of amenities including I-pod docking station in the rooms (they even have a stocked I-Pod if you forgot yours!), A/C's, and T.V.s with cable. The bed was comfortable, and the room was attractive. I had a small windowless room in the basement (Blue Room) which is next to the spa and across from the kitchen. Even though it was windowless, the entire sliding door was actually translucent and the lighting in the room was better than average. There is probably more noise here than in the rooms on the 2nd floor, but it was quiet in the middle of the night while needing to sleep. There's not much for toiletries available, except one large bar of Nivea soap, a package of kleenex (much more thoughtful than a large box, since this can be taken with you when your finished), and a container of no-name shampoo. The hot shower was a little tricky because of the placement of the handles, and if you initially turn on too much hot water, it can be downright dangerous because you can't reach around for the handles without being under the flow of the shower. Once the temperature is right, the shower is pleasant with good pressure, plenty of hot water, and a creatively designed bathroom. For only having 5 rooms of accommodation, they have certainly gotten a lot right.
There's a small pool on the roof-top which, after a day in Cartagena, you will really appreciate. Also, a gorgeous large screened I-Mac computer is in the library for guests to access the internet.
The breakfasts, included with the room price, are attractively presented, very tasty, and prepared whatever time you need them (again, awesome service!) The location of Veranera is fantastic, and it was easy to walk everywhere in the walled city or even over to Getsemani. Also, at night, this area of town is very quiet. Marilyn made dinner reservations at one of the nicest places in town on the night of my arrival. She continued to be extremely helpful with other reservations throughout my stay, and her assistance really shaped my time in Cartagena for the better.
I would enjoy staying here again, although next time I'd like to stay in the larger suite on the second floor which has its own spiral staircase leading up to a private tiny balcony.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed March 6, 2010

I stayed for 2 days in Casa Boutique Veranera, went for the weekend with my family and I have to say that although it was very short time I couldn't expect better service!
Marilyn, Tatiana, Katherina and Jose Luis, made our stay the best ever! They help us with everything: tours, restaurants reservations, even walking us to the port to take our boat to Rosario Islands!!
Needless to say we will return to Cartagena and will for sure go back to this great place because they made our 2 days the greatest!

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Last week, we spent a couple of days in Cartagena. We found Casa Boutique Veranera through TripAdvisor and went ahead and booked the accommodations based on the reviews.

The service was phenomenal, Marilyn, Katrina, Jose Luis and Tatiana went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. They recommended tours, restaurants and one of them was always around to answer any questions we had.

Locationwise, we were walking distance from pretty much everything in the old city. Loved it!

We stayed in the room on the first floor, which didn't have any windows and was across from the kitchen, but we didn't mind. If you want to be away from the kitchen or want windows, just be sure to request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We arrived late (9:30 pm) after a long day birdwatching and were welcomed warmly by Jose Luis to a charming little hotel perfectly located in the center of the loveliest, best-preserved colonial city in Latin America. The next morning, Katrina and Marilyn welcomed us again and treated us to the most attentive service we've ever had. Katrina and Tatiana were always ready to offer us refreshments whenever we returned from a walk in town. Marilyn helped us with information about what to see and where to dine.
The house was lovely, with a comfortable common area in the courtyard and rooftop deck. The room was large, comfortable, well-decorated, and immaculate, and had a good-sized bathroom. The small rooftop pool was a good place to cool off in the heat of the afternoon. We were within a five minute walk of everything in the old city. The best part, though, of the wonderful experience was the warm smiles and friendliness of the staff, who made us feel totally at home.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Well maintained, clean and well furnished hotel. Close to the heart of Centro Historico in Cartagena. Overall everything was good, but in particular service and attention to detail was excellent. Special thanks to Marylin, Jose Luis & Katrina.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Absolutely perfect for our needs - a group of 10 family and friends spending Christmas in Cartegena. Well located in the old town, walking distance from the bars, restaurants, shops and incredible colonial legacy of Cartagena. The staff are the real treasure in particular Marilyn, who was more hostess than manageress and catered to all our needs, and night porter Jose, who no matter what time we stumbled in, always greeted us with a smile. The only potential downside is that some of the rooms aren't all that private if you're not looking to take it as a whole. Breakfast good and value excellent.

Thanks for a memorable Chrimbo.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank PerkoLondon
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I have been multiple times to Cartagena and this time instead of staying in the Bocagrande beach area, I decided to stay in the old city. That was a great experience and the people and accomodations at Casa Veranera made it even better.

The accomodations are excellent, the personalized service is awesome, and the made to order breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple