“Charming little villa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Casa Boutique Veranera
Ranked #103 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
London
“Charming little villa”
Reviewed February 6, 2009

We had an amazing stay at this charming little hotel, located in probably the nicest part of the Old Town. The property itself was very well designed, an old colonial villa that had been refurbished to combine both classical and modern touches. The 5 rooms were a little on the small side (with the exception of the suite), but there were other salons, courtyards and rooftops to hang out in.

The staff were incredibly helpful and helped book restaurants, booked dance classes, offered laundry services and we felt as though they would probably help with whatever we asked them to do.

The only caveat I would add is to not stay in the Blue Room. While it's nicely decorated, it is in the basement of the house next to the kitchen and therefore quite noisy in the mornings.

• Liked — The property, the staff and the location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fresno, California
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Casa Boutique Veranera has a fabulous style. The decor is a fun and creative using classic European furniture pieces with a hip beach color palette. The villa is full of interesting artistic details in the tile work, lighting, and architecture. The breakfasts were wonderful as well - I Ioved all of the fresh fruit.
The best part of our stay, however, was definitely the service. All of the staff members were attentive, courteous, and eager to help. Even with eleven rowdy Americans in our group, none of whom spoke Spanish, the staff was able to take care of us beautifully. They gave great advice as to where I could go for my daily runs, how to get to the beach, and where to eat. I highly recommend it!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Our toilet was missing its seat covet
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Cartagena has a great botique small hotel, Casa Botique Veranera. Excellent service, comfortable rooms, but most of all, kind, sweet, efficient staff. We booked the whole house for a wedding group and CBV exceeded all our expectations. Comfortable beds, great linens, AC in bedrooms, eclectic style.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank COLOLOVER
New York
Reviewed January 8, 2009

I absolutely love Casa Veranera, mostly for the stylish decor (including modern amenities like cell phones, ipods, computer, flat screens) and personalized service offerred by the girls (Yuris, Katerina, Tatiana). These ladies went out of their way to provide excellent service and made me feel comfortable and completely taken care of. I particularly loved that breakfast was served whenever you want it, and the food was outstanding. I will note that there was a very loud annoying family with 2 obnoxious children that stayed in the house for part of my stay and the sound carried throughout the house. If peace and quiet is a concern I would check in advance to see if there are any families with children booked for that time. Once they left it was very peaceful and serene, I spent one day just lounging and reading on the roofdeck. Another thing worth noting is how safe I felt. As a single white female travelling alone in Columbia for the first time I was a bit aprehensive, but the house is very secure and nobody has a key to the front door (you ring the bell and someone is on duty 24/7 to answer). I highly reccomend this place to any type of traveller. Will stay again!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Casa Boutique Veranera exceeded all of my expectations. It is centrally located the "old town," in the most charming neighborhood in Cartagena. It has the feel of a colonial townhouse that has turned into a chic, intimate hotel. The hotel exudes relaxation, from the music streaming from the ipods to the sound of the horses hooves clip clopping down the cobbled stone streets. The house is beautifully decorated and for the short time I was able to call Casa Veranera home, I felt as though I was living in a home that came straight out of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novels.

Even more impressive than the decor was the manner in which the staff attended to us. I felt as though we were staying at a 5 star hotel without the stuffy feeling that usually accompanies such a high level of service.
There are three lovely women who work hard during the day to ensure that everyone’s stay is pleasant. They prepared some of the most delicious homemade juices I have ever had and would prepare breakfast at whatever hour we wanted. In fact, I once asked if I could try jugo de nispero and I was told that they didn't have the ingredients, but that they would go buy it for me. Additionally, when I asked where I could find a nearby cafe, that same staff member personally escorted me to a local cafe. She offered to do that on another occasion as well when I had asked for direction. Although we had a few dinner reservations before we left the US, they made sure that we were able to get reservations for the days we didn't have them. Additionally, they offered to make travel arrangements for us, e.g., chiva tours, trips to the islands, etc. That kind of personal attention is rare.

By the time I left, I was sad to go. I felt like we had all become a family. Although I'm not a native Spanish speaker, they were patient with me and we were able to communicate and get to know each other a bit. The English spoken there is limited, however, there is a staff member who speaks English.

Lastly, I take issue with the few negative reviews on here. We stayed in the pink room and the yoga room and they both had working hair dryers and the decorations were appropriate for the rooms. Additionally, the yoga room has a mini-bar and a private balcony. As for breakfast, which is included with the price of the room, guests have their choice of continental breakfast, Colombian breakfast, or fruit with juice and coffee. I always had the Colombian breakfast and found it delicious. It is impossible for anyone not to fall in love with this hotel…and anyone who can’t probably is a very difficult person to please.

• Liked — The personalized attention.
  • Disliked — I wished that there was some sort of privacy barrier from the bathroom/shower to the living room in the yoga suit.
  • Stayed November 2008
Washington DC
Reviewed December 4, 2008

If you want the authentic Cartagena experience, stay here! This beautifully restored and renovated property sits in the heart of San Diego and within blocks of El Centro. We were booked for five days over Thanksgiving: two in the Pink Room and three in the Veranera Suite. While it is true the rooms are small, as others have noted, there are lovely, spacious Spanish-style common areas and multiple terraces/patios throughout the property. The staff is terrific as well! Katerina, Tatiana, Winston and all who were on-hand to assist that week were phenomenal: from making restaurant recommendations to bringing us icy Coca-Lights when we made our way back in from the HOT!!!!Cartagena streets. The neighborhood was completely safe -- we walked everywhere, watched soccer at the local bar and had delicious arepas from nearby street vendors -- so we were very glad we chose to stay here rather than in one of the big hotels far away in Boca Grande. This is without a doubt the best boutique hotel I have stayed at and I look forward to returning soon.

• Liked — Excellent service and beautiful rooms.
  • Disliked — Lack of business services.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Although it presents itself as a boutique hotel, Casa Veranera is more accurately a beautifully designed, upscale guest house. There are five rooms, and there is no reception area, although there is a stylish and comfortable sala where guests can lounge. The intimacy of the house works in its favor, though. Staying there gave me more of a sense of how the (very privileged) people of Cartagena live than I would have gained by staying in a larger hotel.

The staff could not be more accommodating and warm. Gloria, Oscar, and Jois's mantra is, "Es su casa," and they go above and beyond to make guests comfortable and help them with local travel, sight-seeing, and dining arrangements.

Other thoughtful touches are the top-of-the line Mac computer available for guest use in the sala, and the fact that breakfast is served at whatever time a guest requests it.

Both Cartagena (a gorgeous city) and Casa Veranera lived up to my high hopes and expectations.

Stayed August 2008