“Clean, decorative, good service and great location.”

Bantu Hotel By Faranda Boutique
Ranked #15 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Bantu for 2 nights with some trepidation after reading the recent reviews. I'm happy to write that my stay here was pleasant and flawless. It was low season and the place was nearly empty, so that made for greater and more attentive service. Everything worked well (fridge, TV, hot water, air conditioning, etc.). I kept my valuables in a locked suitcase rather than safety deposit box and had no problems. The staff loaned us decent bikes to ride and even printed my airline boarding passes for free. It's true the pool is small (and has slippery steps!), but it also has a very nice waterfall over a bench inside the pool. So you can lay directly under it and get a free massage! Best of all was the location, close to some of the nicest plazas, the wall and convention center. All in all, it was a great stay and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Americamba37

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I rented a Suite and it was occupied for a night before I could get into it, and they put me across the hall in a cave-like room with no light and a vanity with a sink in the middle that was painted orange. It turned all our stuff orange.

One of the showers didn't work. The AC didn't work in the living room forcing us to keep the bedrooms at sub zero just to be able to sit without sweating. And the place was filthy. I asked them to mop the floors and they gave us flip flops. I swear, they said, hey, don't go barefoot you won't get your feet dirty. The reason? They used the cheapest paint possible and it flakes off the walls along with the mortar from the exposed brick.

The pool turned green day two and was unusable for three days. They never fixed the AC or the shower. The staff, although friendly, is completely clueless. Ask for ice? They brought us a beat up Styrofoam cooler, one that you throw away after a couple of uses, it was black filthy.

But the best part was they started construction of new rooms which entailed a crew with sledgehammers breaking through floors and concrete. I went to the management and said, hey, you aren't fixing the pool, you aren't fixing the AC. and now you've got sledgehammers going at 9am, I'll just go to another hotel. They yessed me to death and nothing changed. Finally moved, What a pain. Seriously, the place is filthy and they don't care.

And the restaurant? Forget it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jackbuck
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We stayed over New Years, so I appreciate that it was peak season and very busy. We booked through an agent and got a package that included a free meal (good fish lunch) and a spa massages (again - nice experience). Nice rooftop pool area with loungers and a jacuzzi (which was unfortunately never warm, just tepid water). But there were a lot of things that frustrated me about Bantu. There was no fridge in our room, and we were told that this had broken the day before and would be replaced. During our 5 day stay the fridge was not replaced. I suspect that there hadn't been one in the room in the first place. It was 31-33 degrees, so this was quite frustrating. We asked for ice from reception and were told that they did not have any (!) (i then subsequently asked one of the porters and got a whole bucketful). When we bought some juices and fruit and yogurt for our own snacks, we were told we could put these in the restaurant fridge (which was locked at night) and these would be safe, but the next day the bag containing our food had disappeared. Not a big issue but just annoying. The bathroom shower only dribbled out water, there was shower flow whatsoever, and the water was always cold (not an issue as such), it just took a long time to wash my hair! The restaurant (where you could have breakfast) was full of mosquitos (in the morning) so I got eaten alive (indoors of all places!). The staff were fine, not overtly friendly but did their jobs properly and were available for questions. Breakfast was fine - you could opt to have it in your room which we did one morning. Our room faced an inner courtyard and the window looked out onto on the walkway around the courtyard, so for privacy, we had to keep the window shutters closed at all times. The room was quite dark as a result. The biggest thing was when we walked by the reception desk one afternoon to see an american guest (with the local police and a translator) arguing with the receptionist about a theft of cash from his room safe (see review below). This really spooked me - the room rates are high enough to warrant security within a guest's room and especially within a lockable room safe. We took extra precautions after seeing this, but as a result, and combined with the rest, I would not return to Bantu. There are so many beautiful hotels in Cartagena (with the same stunning features - water features, rooftops, in-house bar and restaurant, massages) that I think we would go elsewhere for a better value overall service,

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2010

actually is the best place to stay in cartagena is a boutique hotel complety with all the services you need for a trip is also romantic place exellent service location and with the best rooms I ever seem im sure ill come back soon!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Bantu in early December with my family. I just read another review of someone saying they were also robbed. Amazingly, our story was almost identical reinforcing my belief that this was not an isolated incident and a deliberate coordinated theft.

I left my family's money in the safe along with our passports. I had $450 stolen. I had $1500 in the safe so I guess I was lucky that they only stole $450 and left our passports. I believe that the staff thinks that most people won't count their money if they leave it in the safe as they assume that it will be secure so the thieves take some but not all of the money to fly under the radar.

We were quite upset and tried to get in touch with the manager through the staff. They laughed at us like we were crazy and did everything in their power to waste our time and not allow us to talk to the manager who was "away and did not have a cell phone". This was obviously ridiculous so we called the police who were helpful but ultimately unable to do anything.

While I was unable to get my family's money back, I hope that other travelers will not have the same problems. The hotel is full of thieves and if you do use the safe boxes, make sure you count your money every night!! I believe they especially like to target gringos.

The location of the hotel is very good but the rooms were lousy. The television did not work. There was no hot water. The service for the breakfast was a comedy of errors. If you are just going to microwave coffee, why does it take 30 minutes for it to arrive?? It was mind boggling. Bathrooms were filthy as well.

The pool was tiny and filled with trash (band aids, a beer bottle, etc.)

I loved my stay in Colombia apart from this incident. We also stayed at Hotel Dann in Boca Grande and had a much better experience. I hope this review does not deter anyone from visiting Colombia. One bad apple should not spoil the bunch!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank Ryan_McDonough
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The pool on the roof is a refreshing and beautiful spot, the drinks are delish and the contrast with the decaying surrounding buildings is really cool. The rooms are huge and beautiful and the staff are warm and welcoming. A great value for money.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Really great hotel in central cartagena old town. We found it by chance as one of the other hotels was full on the same square (their pool area was very very cramped).
Pool area on the roof was really spacious and had several private areas which made it idea.
Clean and conformtable rooms and very polite and helpful staff.
Great breakfasts and try and have one on the roof!
Try and avoid the rooms around the swing on the ground floor as you have less privacy with these rooms.
Definitely go to the Santa Clara hotel for trendy drinks and toucan spotting.
A great little stop off place to explore the old town, go to the rosario islands and the volcano ( ps you must do this as it is hilariousssssssssss!!)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple