“Beware!!!”

Ranked #110 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
New York
“Beware!!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Ladies, stay away from this place! The guy who checked me in seemed friendly. He told my husband and me that his name was Ricard, and that he had only one room available - 304. He brought us to the room. I asked him where the bathroom was. He showed it to me. I was exhausted from traveling and accepted the room. Moments later, I was in the bathroom taking a shower when I suddenly noticed a vent that opened to the hallway, and a cell phone crammed into the bathroom through the vent!! I saw the cell phone camera's flash go off, and I immediately started to scream. I told my husband what happened. He went outside and saw no one except Ricard downstairs. We do not speak much Spanish, so it would have been frustrating to confront Ricard, so we just left the hotel, but it makes me sick to think of all the women who were unknowingly violated in this way. Ladies, beware!!! Stay away from this place!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
25 Thank worldtraveler0101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hawaii
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I paid dearly for this room. If you can find cheaper, go for it! But.. if want a nice area, pretty hotel and room, balcony view of the narrow Cartagena streets, then this is what you will get. The only downside was the entry. You have to ring the doorbell and wait for someone to open the door. If you like to come and go at your leisure, this will become annoying. It was really no big deal, but I didn't care for it. If you use a debit or credit card to pay for room, check their math and exchange rate. They charged me $10 more than quoted! Pay cash if you can. The owner is Italian. Internet and Breakfast available. Overall, I just think the rate was a bit much for me. For backpackers: the local beaches are not great and if you don't have the time and money, skip Cartagena - you won't miss much. The streets are narrow, crowded and the plazas aren't worth it. This is an overpriced tourist mecca.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank murray7777
Reviewed January 19, 2010

THIS IS NOT A HOTEL ! This is your basic backpackers B & B except you get your own room and pay dearly for it. It is clean but NOT WORTH HALF THE RIDICULOUS $65 a head. They DO NOT charge by the room but rather by the person, so if you are not alone it is an absurd $130 minimum for a hard double bed in a small room. It is in a bad part of El Centro and above a retail store on the second, third and fourth floor - something they don't tell you. The street noise is VERY loud late into the night and very again very early in the morning. Inside the tile hallways amplify every voice of those entering. Don't expect a good nights sleep. The electricity went out constantly so we had no air-conditioning and at one point had no water. We were told this happens a lot in this part of town and the hotel does not have auxiliary power or sufficient water supply . The staff was very unfriendly except the little cook Evelyn, though breakfast is skimpy. There is NO HOT WATER here. We finally had to move as it was unbearable and way too much money for what you get. NOT RECOMMENDED ! Worth about $25 a night max compared to other Cartagena offerings.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank newmansown
London
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Hotel is in the cheaper bracket in Cartagena (though that isnt especially cheap in comparison with most of the rest of S America), and so you shouldnt expect too much. Its fine - clean, safe, air conditioned and in a good location in the old city. But rooms are a bit bare, there isnt really hot water, staff are not especially friendly and breakfast is just ok. Theres no garden area or pool or even a lobby. Cartagena's a romantic city but its hard to keep in the mood staying here.....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank David_W111
Sweden
Reviewed July 13, 2008

nice rooms, basic, but rather big rooms. We had a room with a huge balcony, ask for that as some rooms are smaller. Clean. Nice terrace upstairs where breakfast was served. Good but not a huge amount of food. Great location and I think it was a very good hotel, in relation to what we paid.
Stayed there July 2007. 1 week.

• Liked — view from balcony, location
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2008

We stayed at Hotel Los Balcones de Badillo in Cartagena for one night in April. We rented two rooms since we were traveling with my in-laws and our two boys. The price seemed fair to us as travelers from the US who know how expensive Cartagena can be.
First, I must say that Gisselle and her staff went out of their way to accomodate our every need. They returned email messages promptly and welcomed us with big smiles. The entire team was gracious and very helpful. While Gisselle was sad to find out we were not staying the three nights we had planned on, she treated us very well and even allowed us to leave our bags while we did some last minute exploring the day we checked out.
This hotel is located in the walled city and very close to all the sites such as La Catedral, el Museo de Oro, different plazas, shops and restaurants.
The view from the balconies affords guests a glimpse into the everyday life of Cartageneros.
The rooms were big, the private bathrooms were extremely spacious as well. Everything was SUPER CLEAN. The rooms also included air conditioning and it worked very well. The room I shared with my husband and kids seemed especially large and had two balconies. The rooms contain small refigerators and one can buy beer from the hotel or bring it in from the Exito supermarket nearby.
A full breakfast is served from about 7:30-9:30 on the rooftop terrace. We had at least three choices and they included eggs, toast, fresh tropical fruit salad and fresh juice.
The terrace is open in the evening. We took advantage of this and enjoyed some time up there with our own drinks and snacks.
Please note the hotel does not have elevators. This didn't bother us and Giselle was considerate enough to put us on the second floor out of courtesy to my inlaws.
We highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back!

• Liked — I liked the excellent service and central location the best.
  • Disliked — Steet noise can be heard extremely early in the morning if staying in a front facing room.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 20, 2007

I loved my stay in May 2006, the low season. I walked in and got a room with tiny balcony overlooking Calle Badillo for $25. Very nice for the price but I'm now looking for late January 2008 and find it $47 for a single and $55 for a single in high season. I'll have to look for something cheaper. [--]

• Stayed May 2006, traveled solo