“Budget hotel”

Ranked #100 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Lima, Peru
“Budget hotel”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a budget hotel and it´s OK for what you go to Cartagena, sightseeing and not staying at the hotel. Maybe if you are local you may go to the tiny pool or to the not very good beach in front of the hotel, they give you towels and try to keep all the vendors from attacking you (not kidding!), inside the hotel, things are a bit better, the personnel is nice and the all inclusive is OK, nothing spectacular but the fruit in the breakfast is fine, juices too, and dinner is normal, the fried fish (mojarra) is really good, probably because they don´t add almost anything to the cooking and just fry a really fresh fish. You have drinks: soda, tap beer all day long so, when you come back from one place and get ready to go to another, you can enjoy a nice drink, it´s a pity plastic glasses are quite little but you can take them two at a time.
All the hotel is old and needs serious renovations, elevators are OK, the rooms are tiny, A/C does not work well and there is hardly ever hot water, which is not so bad since the weather is really hot. There is no wifi in the rooms, only in the diner area and the lobby.
So, if you are planning to visit the city, the islands, disco and so on, this is not a bad hotel, if you plan on living here stay away...

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Tower A and high in order to have a nice view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Alejandro_Piscoya
HotelDoradoPlaza, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Dorado Plaza, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest Alejandro_Piscoya,

We want to let you know the renovations we have done in our Hotel, especially in the rooms which now are equipped with 32" led TVs so that you can enjoy your favorites programs in the tube.

The free WIFI access will let you keep in contact with your friends, your office or your loved ones.

The food service has a lot of variety and drinks, you will enjoy for sure.

Don't hesitate to ask about me when you come back to the Dorado Plaza Hotel.

Best regards,

ISNEL PINTO PALACIO
Costumer Service Manager
Hotel Dorado Plaza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just came back from this hotel, I had a little budget for my trip!

This is one of the few hotels of Cartagena that offer all inclusive service! The Food is excellent breakfast, lunch, dinner; different options you can choose in the three meals.
Also you have snacks and as many drinks you want during the day and at night too!
If you go to the beach they will give you free towels and you will have a tent at the beach unlimited time!
The location is very good you can walk through bocagrande, el laguito and if you want around the beautiful Castillo Grande bay! (few blocks from the hotel)
We just paid $230,00 USD for two of us, two nights and three days all inclusive!!
If you arrive earlier to Cartagena the will keep your baggage so you will be free to go around the city or go right away to the beach while you do the check in!
Same way for your check out at 13:00 hours, they will keep your baggage and you can do something else before you go to the airport!
I forgot to say that there is a recreationist all day long and also at night life music until 22:00 after that you can go to the small disco in the hotel with free drinks!

The prices of the meals outside of the hotel are between 7.000 COP - 25.000 COP

High recomended it is not an elegant hotel, the rooms are small the view is great the hotel is very clean and the staff is really friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Torre Andes is a building of fifteen floors as higher you stay less noise it will be! the view it is...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Fernando V
Cartagena
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel needs some maintenance in the rooms, as it is very old.It is very good in the provision of the three meals, which I consider are excesive regarding quantity.better maintenance and less food will give a right balance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Cali, Colombia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is the worst hotel ever. the reception office is really hot. There is just a small fan for such a big space. The elevators are small, smelly and slow. The rooms and the hallways also smell like must. the bathroom is small, smelly and dirty. The tub is blocked and you have to wait a long time for the water to go down before the next person can use the shower. the sink is blocked also. the toilet is disgusting. The towels are so worn that you can feel how thin they are, some of our towels were ripped!!!!. The safe is in a small, hot, hot, smelly room, and the boxes are so old and rusty that you can not even open them!!!!. I really do not recommend this hotel, no even for the price!!!! the worst part were the roches!!!! they are everywhere. we had some in the bathroom that crawled from the bathroom into the hallway and visceversa. It was disgusting!!!! my friends and I paid for everything included but we just used the hotel to take showers and sleep. we tried to stay away from that place as much as we could. one night we went to the disco. That is not a disco!!!!! it is a big room with a counter some tables and chairs and the smell of must was so overwelming!!!!!!!! we couldn't stay that long!!!!! in five words... "Stay away from that hotel"

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank yury m
Dear Guest yuri m,

We are entitled to give you a better impression , if you give yourself the opportunity to live a great time with us.

You can experience something better with our renovations in the rooms and in our restaurants.

we had a plan against the infections so that you could enjoy of a better enviroment.

Don't hesitate to ask about me if you come back or e-mail me at servicioalcliente@doradoplaza.com so that i can solve all your doubts.

ISNEL PINTO PALACIO
Costumer Service Manager
Hotel Dorado Plaza

Travelers are raving about these Cartagena hotels

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Good part, was the price,the location,the people I met and the coffee.I stayed at this place for 14 days from Feb 27/12 to Mar 12/12. I usually travel solo,so, when I saw that the mark up rate from double to single occupancy was less than 15% (ie $869 double vs $999 single) it was a no brainer.The location is perfect,only a 6000 peso taxi ride(at $1 CDN for 1800 pesos) that's less than $3.50 or a healthy 30 minute walk to the ancient walled city of Cartagena.If you do walk,there are a lot of interesting shops and restaurants along the way.
I was on the 12th floor and the view from my window (there are no balconies) was spectacular,whether you face the ocean (or Gulf or whatever that big body of water is) or overlook the old city.
The 15th century wall that circles the city is some 15 km, so don't try to walk around it; besides some of it is along the shore line.There is so much to see and do in the old city,with the old Fort,the museums (the Spanish Inquisition Museum is not for the squeamish)the narrow stone streets,the monuments,chuches,squares with shops and restaurants and much more.
I met a lot of fun and interesting people while there.They were on the same flight that I was on,from the Toronto area.The first week I hung around with Stephanie,Steven King,Albert, Clem and Fang,,not necessarily their real names.Steph was handy to have along because she could speak Spanish,and she wasn't hard to look at either.We spent a few evenings near the bar ,joking and telling stories.Unfortunately the all inclusive bar only serves domestic beer on tap (Aguila,not bad but only 4% alcohol) dispensed in tiny plastic cups(only 2 per customer) and some no name brands of Gin,Vodka and Rum..that's it...and no wine.Hovever,the Chilean wine from the local stores are quite cheap at only 12,000 pesos per bottle (do the conversion) and our bartender Jose was good at keeping it chilled behind the bar.The second week I met up with a guy from Hamilton who was visiting his wife from Columbia,that he met on line chatting for over a year and and later married after after being together for only 4 days.hmmm..I guess some marriages are made in heaven.He has been working at getting her a visa to move to Canada.Nice couple,and they both spoke Spanish.They were later joined by a friend from Newmarket,who was best man at their wedding.I enjoyed being with them,especially watching the nightly entertainment .They were able to help me with the translation.When they called out for the audience to cheer for their country of origin,,"Chile",,hooray,,"Argentinia",,hooray,,"Panama",,,hooray,,and "Columbia" a loud hooray,,and finally "Canada",,it is so uncharacteristic for Canadians to show a public outburst of patriatism but the four of us stood up and cheered loudly and everyone looked at us in awe and applauded.
Now,being in Columbia,the coffee was to die for,Tim Hortons take note.They even served it with hot milk,although,after an hour or so it got a bit scummy.

The Bad is definetly the layout of the resort and the food.The resort consist of two 15 floor towers located on an area no larger than an acre and the pool the size of the average backyard pool back home.During busy periods,if you are staying in one of the upper floors,plan on waiting 15 minutes to a half hour to get to and from your room with the painfully slow elevators.My room was huge with three beds but when sleeping,the a/c blew cold air over the bed.So I turned it off and opened the window and listened to the waves splashing on shore.Unfortunately there was a ceiling light that I couldn't turn off.I called the front desk and they told me ,eventually,that the switch was in the closet and it went on and off when you opened the closet door like the light in your refrigerator.But I couldn't close the door so I shoved a sock in the door jam to keep it closed.They don't provide drinking water in the room but there was a filthy pitcher that you would fill at the water cooler near the bar,
I used an empty wine bottle for that purpose.
I'm not a picky or fussy eater.Give me a selection of fresh fruit and vegetables and I'll give the food a 4 star.But the only selection was watermelon and pineapple and the occasional banana...no papaya..no cantalope..no mango... no grapes.. no apples or any other fruit .And the only fresh vegetables consisted of small unripened tomatoes and head lettuce.And the rest of the food all tasted the same because they put sliced weiners in everything.Weiners in the scrambled eggs,weiners in the rice and beans,weiners in the cabbage salad ,weiners in the coleslaw,,even weiners sliced over the top of the chicken,and for the afternoon snack,,,what did they serve? Hot Dogs...blah,,,I will never have a weiner again.As for the presentation of the food at the buffet table,,the food was dumped into large woks,,,more like a pail,and was heated with portable bunsen burners,that kept blowing out because it was so windy outside and the area smelled like fuel..not very appetising.and forget about the thought of having a sneeze guard over the food.It was gross.They also have a strange policy about eating dinner.When the resort wasn't very busy,you had to make reservations for dinner early that day.One day ,I left early to go on a tour and forgot to make a reservation.At dinner I sat at a table reading my Kindle,,I was in no hurry,but after an hour though I called the waiter over,,
he asked "Do you have a reservation?"
I said "No"
"Why not?"
I said "I was busy"
"Doing what?"
"I was on a tour"
"You should have made a reservation"
"I know,lo siento por favor",, he didn't even smile
"What's your room number?'he asked
Well this went on for about 5 minutes.He must have visited the Spanish inquisition museum..because he was doing a great job.finally I said "Stop" and pointed at my all inclusive wrist band.and said calmly "This band says you have to feed me."
"What would you like to eat?" he asked as he handed me a 10 item menu,,all in Spanish of course.I looked at what the guy next to me was eating and pointed "That"
Less than a minute later he put a plate in front of me.It was a chicken leg,covered with slices of weiners.

The Ugly part of my stay at Dorado was the loud music that I was bombarded with from
10 AM until the entertainmnet started in the evening.To get away from the noise I walked to the beach across the street behind the hotel.The resort has one section reserved for their patrons and a staff employee that would usher you to a chair under a canopy or as I requested, under the shade of a palm tree.I took off my shirt and sat comfortably reading my Kindle. Within minutes,I felt oil or some smelly lotion being poured on my back.It took me by surprise and made me angry.This very hefty woman had poured this stuff on me,with the intention of giving me a massage.I tried to push her away and kept telling her NO.but she kept rubbing me..Finally I stood up and let out a few obsenities and she had the nerve to ask for payment for the massage.I went back to my room to shower this putrid stuff off my back .When I returned to the beach I paid the staff guy 10,000 pesos to keep these masseuse women away from me.He did a good job,he even kept away the other panhandlers.Unfortunately he wasn't able to keep the tiny insects off me. I couldn't feel them bite,but an hour later I sure felt the itch on my legs.I always carry Witch Hazel with me when I travel .It's great for insect bites..
The vacancy rate goes from one extreme to another.During my last week there they had a two day convention for 600 teachers from all over Columbia.The buffet was like a cattle call,pushing and shoving like it was their last meal.There was no place to sit down and they were even eating directly off the buffet table.If you did find a table,people would stand over you with their plates in hand,staring at you until you finished eating.They have ramps for the disabled or to carry luggage,,but they are so slippery that they had to put warning cones after a few people slipped and fell while rushing to the buffet table...
Would I go back?,,Not even if you paid me!!!

Room Tip: On the ocean side away from the noise of the music and nightly entertainment
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Dennis M
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We think the hotel was recently renovated, because our rooms were remodeled and very clean. The stuff very friendly and helpful and the food was good. The pool was half shaded, which is very good in that heat when your sensitive to the sun and it was cleaned everyday. A highlight are the bartenders: full of jokes and stories and good drinks (if you like seet cocktails and beer;) A economic weekend getaway

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marc D
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I think this is the worst hotel I've stayed at, I will never come back, please stay away: service is really bad, they mistrust their guests and treat them like robbers, rooms have 70's TVs that just don't work, baths are public school like... Need more to decide? WiFi is painfully slow, elevators are small and always crowded, room smells to cheap desinfectant, sheets are even older than TVs.... Please, don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed March 2012