“Disgusting!!!!!”

Ranked #100 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Embassy of Canada Bogtoa Colombia
“Disgusting!!!!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Disgusting, horrilbe hotel!!!! We are with the Canadian Embassy in Bogota. Our children came here from Canada for a nice holiday. The El Dorado is the WORST hotel we have ever seen. Very unsafe, we just about got robbed on the beach outside the hotel. The only security was a man at the front entrance of the hotel. He was a lovely man who loved to call us names in spanish, if he only knew we spoke spanish. Our daughter plugged in her flat iron and the whole bathroom lit up. They forgot to label the 220 and 110 plug ins. She could have been seriously injured. Her 300.00 flat iron is burned out and they only gave us 350,000.00 pesos...175.00. They have two elevators, but only one worked most of the time. My children got caught in the elevator, they rang the emergency botton but nothing happened. They finally got out an hour later. The hotels excuse was "it was windy so the doors don't shut properly, so sometimes the elevator gets stuck.....really??!! That sure makes sense...... They say it is all-in-clusive, we had to fight to get two small plastic glasses of beer each. They only had wine for dinner and they served it in a tiny, tiny martini glass, if you could call it that. They never cleaned under the beds, oh yes, there are 4 or 5 horrilbe beds in each room. No balconies.....really all I can say is STAY AWAY!!!

• Liked — Nothing !!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Len9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
São Paulo
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This hotel is terrible, since the food until the rooms. I booked one thing in internet (yes, ´cause it´s look like a nice hotel - in my opinion, it´s an faultly advertisement, like we use to talk here, in Brazil) and I found another, totaly different that I bought.
The shower wasn´t work because didn´t have water. The elevator didn´t work too. The hotel has a smell, I don´t know, me and my husband tried all the time discover what coul be, but I think that it´s a mixed about mildew with [--].
Definitivelly, I asked my money and changed the hotel.
It´s like the other guest said: it´s a katastrofen ! That we can understand in any language !

Dont´go there !

Raquel Milani

• Liked — Nothing. It´s amazing, but nothing.
  • Disliked — Nothing too.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aviajante

Travelers are raving about these Cartagena hotels

New York
Reviewed August 22, 2007

I arrived at this Hotel and immediately knew I was in the wrong place. There were a bunch of kids running around in the lobby, several people waiting for one elevator, a broken down building that resembles the Projects of NYC. I was terrified to say the least. This place, in my opinion, should be demolished and rebuilt. It took us 2 hours to get checked in and another hour to cancel my room to leave to the Hotel Ocenia nearby. I recommend Hotel Oceani - great bed and breakfast. Hotel El Dorado has to be the worse hotel in the world!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Service and Chaos
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank JMO1974
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 18, 2006

When Irrived in Colombia The travel agent had lost my reservation to San Andres, I had no other choice but to travel to Cartagena. I had heard lot's of good things about, the best was to come.

The travel agent described the hotel as a 4 star property, As I arrived I found a run down old hotel, even the light bulbs were missing from the old and broken fixtures. The rooms were dark and dingy. The service was mediocre, the food terrible. The hotel was all inclusive but we still had to pay for using towel, sitting on the beach chairs, and so on. Cartagena was ok, but what made it worst were the gangs of street vendors harrasing you at any giving moment, everything was so expensive and the bad. The old cartagena was very nice I found some decent food and very friendly people. Ovel all Cartagena was ok, what killed the trip was general the actitude of the people, who wanted to take advantage of the turists. At any giving moment they would try to thieve you out of your money.

Never stay at the Dorado!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — They claimed to have 3 restaurants, but in reality they don't even have 1
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of all claims made when traveling in Colombia
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jorgealvarez
Montevideo
Reviewed October 5, 2006

Old, decadent hotel, in very bad conditions. Horrible food. May be a "one star" hotel if not a "half star". People is friendly but ...

• Liked — The departing day.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid it !
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family