“Very disappointed with lack of service”
Review of Hotel Dorado Plaza

Hotel Dorado Plaza
Ranked #95 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed January 20, 2012

As soon as we arrived, I noticed that it was much louder, darker and and crowded in the lobby area than I'd hoped for. Although my first impression wasn't the greatest, as long as the rooms were nice, I knew I would be fine...unfortunately we never quite made it to that point. After the receptionist had a difficult time finding our reservation, we were taken to another area past the pool to figure out the situation.

It would be a bit of an understatement to say that my friends and I were pretty upset that the hotel staff decided to increase the price for the room, stating that we would all have to purchase the all-inclusive package at a higher rate. Even though they found our reservation (we also showed them print outs of our reservations and the e-mail confirmation), they simply would not budge and told us that we would have to pay the higher price.

I could even understand if they had overbooked our room, but they had rooms available and simply refused to honor the confirmed price. Their attitude essentially came down to "take it or leave it" and so we left.

In all my years of travel before and since, I have yet to come across such poor 'customer service' in the hotel service industry.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank mapes24

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed four days and three nights in this hotel. The food was fairly good, rooms are a little simple but they're ok. However the bathroom needs some improvement. Good service, nice pool, some sport activities included in the "all include" plan. The beach is just in the rear so you just have to cross the street. The a/c is a little noisy but the temp is good, not too cold or too warm. There was Wi-fi only in the Andes Tower lobby. After spending a bad time in the Cartagena Premium (same Costa del Sol owner), Dorado Plaza was a good place to stay and forget that bad experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Diego O
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I spent 10 beautiful days in this Hotel. Perfect location, very clean and safe area. Staff very friendly. Room very clean with internet service. Defenitely a place to recomend to my friends.
Just one thing to be aware of "if need a taxi use the ones that they know....the other will charge more"

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ORLANDO1962
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I reserved 1 night in 1 room wit 2Adt, 2 kids of 7yrs and 9 month, 2 dbl beds, tub, ocean view and intenet in the room in A Tower for USD100 at Hotel.com what is a fair price for what I bought. A Tower has nice rooms and is quiter then B Tower. When I arrived, teh receptionist put us in B Tower with about 300 teenagers, the room looked more like a bad hostel, no Internet, no Tub and.... she wanted to charge an extra USD228.00 (for 1 night) I made a lot of noice and finally came to the reservation dept where Elzy and her chief attended me very well. They checked my reservation, declared all a big missunderstanding and gave me ok for the rate 100USD, and for to change the room.
But the receptionist not only refused to attend, she even became disrespectfull, taking about me at the fone. She didn`t know, I speek a bit spanish. So, another hour of stressing and making noise until Cesar, the reception manager(?) appeared and we finally changed.
For the price, it`s fair, but you will need a lot of nerves or a lawyer for to become what you ordered.
At night 300 kids attacking the buffet, blocking the elevators (their was a week hollyday in colombia) and later on killing their brains with screwdrivers, served at the bar for free for the kids.
A Tower, depends on your expectation. B Tower is a rocky horror picture show in a second class hostel.
Worse: The room and la muchahca from the front desk
Safes our day: Elzy and her coleague and Mr. Cesar.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank GTekes
Reviewed March 11, 2010

This is the worst hotel i ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived i didn't like it. There was not a/c in the lobby, the elevator took for ever just to come down, so we had to take the employee elevator to go to our room. Once in the room forget it, the a/c was super noisy, the beds were awful, the shower had not pressure at all, one day there was not water to take a shower after a long day at the beach, even the toilette took for ever to flush, the entire hotel is awful believe me i have been working at a hotel for years and i know about hotels, but this hotel was terrible is super dated needs renovations as soon as possible. One of the days during our stay it rained and our floor flooded, not only flooded, but noone even attempt to mop the floor or put a caution sign. too bad we had a package deal plus it was 8 of us so we could not go to another hotel, but if i would had been by myself i would had transfer in a heart beat.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank extremelywell
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I went to a BID conference in Cartagena. The hotel was recommended by the travel agency taking care of the logistics for the event. The location couldn't be better, it's beach front. The restaurant was really dated, which does not match with the supposed "five star" category they presume. The food was awful not only in taste but in the presentation as well. They have wireless in the rooms but the signal is not good, so I reported it and they never came to fix it. When I was doing the check out, they charged me the wireless even when I had a receipt from their "business center" confirming the payment I had made.
In short, this was the worse hotel I've been to, and I have traveled extensively in Latin America and Europe. I would never go back to that hotel nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Mitssy R
Reviewed August 21, 2009

As soon as we got there we knew it wasn't a good place, crowdy, full of people in reception, loudy music. We and other people had to wait for our rooms for about two hours, then having bought the honey moon plan, they gave us a standard room with a disgusting bathroom. We complained about that and the only thing that they'd said was that they'd checked and off course that didn't happen and we had to spend our honey moon in that horrible room. During the check in they offered us as a gift champagne and fruits, which we got just until the last night and we did it because I did complaint all the time!!
Then they run out of water!!!!!!!! so we had to wait for hours to take a shower and go out!! WORST HOTEL EVERRRRRRRRR, DISGUSTING, BAD SERVICE, BAD ROOMS, BAD LOCATION!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple