“Ace sleep in cute, authentic hostel in ace location”
Review of Mama Waldy Hostel

Mama Waldy Hostel
Ranked #74 of 192 Specialty Lodging in Cartagena
Chester
“Ace sleep in cute, authentic hostel in ace location”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Mama Waldy after an epic boat trip from Panama and were pretty whacked, filthy and sweating and even though we had no passports due to boat situation the owner (one of the two lovely brothers) was totally cool with it and let us settle in- I even had a nice cold tamarind juice brought to me whilst I got showered!

Our dorm room was fine - just a basic dorm with lockers and ensuite.

When we were let in the room it smelt really clean - like orangey/peach coming from the scented sticks they use - this was so nice! It was a bit dusty (weirdly this was mostly in the bathroom) but it's a great big old house and with the doors open all the time to get a breeze in to keep the dorms fresh it's just life I guess.

Ensuite has a wall that doesn't reach ceiling so not as much privacy as would have been ideal when sharing with others....

Funny little dog wandering around and a parrot that looks demented but is harmless (only squawking on one of our 4 mornings there); there is also a cat stalking about there so animal lovers will be happy there!

The best things about Mama Waldy were the coffee, the healthy fresh fruit and toast breaky, the air con they put on at night and the sleep we got - the doors and windows close all the light out and our room was cool and pitch black - an absolute dream to sleep in!!

Oh and the location is awesome - round the corner from everything and 2 mins walk from cute Plaza Trinidad which you can hang out in at night. Our friends were going to stay at Media Luna but it's on the noisy street so they decided to come to MW instead - much better value for money at MW too!

They also did our laundry, sorted our bus to Santa Marta and have created a lovely family feeling at their hostel - you can tell the brothers are really proud to offer their place to tourists.

Thank you Mama Waldy!
Nat and Andy X

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cagliari
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have been asking myself whether to write this review or just let it go, but after 3 sleepless nights, I guess it is time. This is possibly one of the worst hostels I have been to in my many years of travelling. I arrived at night, to find they were having a party. My dorm was just on the main lobby, and since there are no keys to the dorms, people can walk in and out. In fact, while I was there, somebody who was at the party just did so. That, with all travellers belongings left there. The room was so dirty, the bathroom so filthy, that I did not even consider going there. I just locked my stuff and ran out to eat. As I got back past midnight, it was finally quiet. But the dorm was so hot, so suffocating, that I could not sleep there. I walked out and one of the owners saw me and asked what was wrong, and I plainly said the room was filthy, hot, etc. He explained that they clean the place regularly but that if travellers are dirty and messy he can't help that. Possibly, what would help would be putting less beds in a dorm and maybe a hanger and a basket to throw away stuff. Hats off for his friendly and cooperative reaction: he put me in a private room, which is only slightly better - yet, no shower curtain, tiny bathroom, and cleanliness is another issue (there is about an inch of dust here). Breakfast is supposedly included, and surely paid for, but consists of 2 slices of toasted bread (with, I guess, cream cheese or butter), and coffee. But what really bothers me the most about this place is the CONSTANT music and noise. It only stops past midnight, so if you are up for an early night and feel tired, forget it. It feels like being in a disco, really. The landlady is nice and helpful, she helps getting bus tickets etc, but this can only make up for about a tenth for how bad this place is.

Room Tip: Just bring earplugs!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank taffani

Travelers are raving about these Cartagena hotels

oslo
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Loved the environment and the relaxed filing of the staff and all the guests. I felt welcomed and a part of a little hosel family. Recommended for friends and lonely travelers. They even have breakfast!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a great place and I would definitely recommend it, although definitely a backpacker budget option. We booked a double fan room on hostelworld for a price of 100k pesos per night but when we arrived were given an aircon room for 70k pesos per night :)
Positives: Getting a good deal on the room, location is pretty decent (although not within the main part of the walled city we found that area to be really expensive for eating out while in the hostel area there were loads of reasonably priced bars and restaurants), staff were awesome (gave us loads of advice for heading into Venezuela and at one point I accidentally broke a glass from the kitchen and they were totally cool about it), there was a parrot and some puppys, good common area, the room itself had some cool artwork and a mirror/dressing table
Negatives: Bathroom was really basic with a hole instead of a window and no shower head on the shower (but that's a minor point overall)

Room Tip: I would recommend an aircon room wherever you stay in Cartagena!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen E
Paris
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

It's a cozzy budget familly hostel. Ideal for backpackers, althought you need 10min walk to make it to the historical centre. The service is excellent and very laid back. But it is a budget place, don't expect luxuries.

• Stayed October 2012
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at mama waldy for 3 nights. It's in a beautiful part of Cartagena where it comes alive in the evenings with some really good food options people are cooking out on the streets. If that's not for you there are tons of nice little restaurants close by too.

We stayed in a double bed in the top section of one of the rooms so it had a bit of privacy, but others were in and out quite often as it was being used as bag storage in the bottom section too. Cartagena is HOT this time of year, so the fan in the room helped a little but it was an uncomfortable night's sleep with the heat and the wood underneath the mattress not being secure and falling out if you moved too much.

Also the shower seemed to flood the whole bathroom so it got a bit messy where people were coming in and out of it.

The hostel is family run and although I didn't see mama waldy, her son who was running it was friendly. Another american who was working there at the time did a good job of giving us info on where to go in the city.

The place had a lively atmosphere in the evenings so if you want to be sociable you got plenty of opportunities to mingle.

Its only a 10 minute walk from el centre where the streets are really nice to walk around.

• Stayed July 2013