“No problems and a nice experience”

Hotel Capilla del Mar
Ranked #21 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
Santiago, Chile
“No problems and a nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel fulfilled our expectations. It's not a 5 * but it has all thats needed. The room was big, well remodeled with a nice view (if you looked slightly to the right because there is a big construction going up across the street. I asked and got a room in the remodeled floor. The hotel is very well located, with a typical Cartagena beach across the street, and the hotel guards make sure that you get across safely. Beach service is not cheap but good. In general, the staff was helpful and very friendly, breakfast staff and concierges especially. The young ladies at the reception were, in contrast, slow and not particularly nice. Charging $1.50 for printing the boarding pass seems ridiculous. Anyway, in general, a nice experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the right side of the elevators and as high as possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family stayed from 7 to 9 May/13, the hotel room robbed money, never taught safety videos, did not give importance to the event, and the beach front of the hotel stole the bag with documents, not just my family several tourists. So I do not recommend this hotel.

Rosalba Cuellar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank santanamontijo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Locals and everyone else says that this is one of the best hotel in Cartagena. In our experience, this is an average hotel. It's convenient located in Bocagrande, 7mins away from the main old downtown, and across of the beach.
The hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms and bathrooms are a good size. The only recommendation, I suggest before making your reservation ask if they have a private event during the weekends, since Cartagena it's known for having a lot of weddings every weekends. The roof top pol was reserved for a private event one of the nights we were staying at the hotel, and we were not able to use the facilities. The staff at the hotel suggested to pay our transportation and provide us a free access to one of their sisters hotel about 25mins away from Capilla. We didn't make it to the sister hotel, because it was going to waist about 1hr in transportation of our limited vacation time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

From the 24 hr security staff, to the bell hops, to reception, waiters, pool bartender, maid service, and much much more, this place was exquisite. I particularly enjoyed the foam beds and foam pillows they have at the beachfront lounge area. The staff was friendly, well informed of surrounding areas and attractions. The breakfast buffet was delicious, huge selection of fresh juices and fruits, made to order omelets (ask for Dina) and pancakes, and traditional cheeses, pastries and Colombian foods. The view of the beach from this buffet restaurant was wonderful, but the one from the roof deck pool and bar was breathtaking. I would go back to this Bocagrande beauty in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view balcony suite, there is construction on a new hotel to the left but it was just...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank FrancysC
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Love the view from the rooftop pool,very romantic..Capilla del Mar is directly overlooking Bocagrande Beach, and was only a short cab ride from the Walled City. Almost all staff we encountered spoke English and they were very helpful in answering questions or making recommendations. The room itself was spacious with a great balcony; furniture was perhaps a bit past its prime, but this wasn't a bother. Breakfast was GREAT, and there was always coffee available in the lobby. Guard was so nice and felt safe he would watch me walk the entire block since i like to walk and at night would watch out for me if it was early evening, would step off the curb to watch me walk the whole block. we had a choice and they took us to las americas resort with a great swim up bar if we wanted to go.. loved it at CDM. Stayed 11 days>>

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank L V
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Capilla del Mar is directly overlooking Bocagrande Beach, and was only a short cab ride from the Walled City. Almost all staff we encountered spoke English and they were very helpful in answering questions or making recommendations. The room itself was spacious with a great balcony; furniture was perhaps a bit past its prime, but this wasn't a bother. Breakfast was good, and there was always coffee available in the lobby.

A few drawbacks: while we were in town, the pool was closed for a private function. Also, the bar on the 21st floor is a fun place (albeit loud) to hang out. On our second evening there, though, the bartender charged me for a very expensive whiskey and claimed to have not understood my request, despite me specifically saying the name of the cheaper whiskey and pointing to it on the menu. In that situation, I would have expected the bartender to side with the customer and simply mark down the price, but instead I gave up and just paid.

The hotel always had a security presence at the front door; I would have preferred, though, if that presence was expanded to the entire parking lot. As soon as we stepped down from the front porch, we were approached by locals trying to sell us crafts or services and in one case--rather uncomfortably--trying to get us to let them drive us around.

If I was visiting Cartagena again, I would probably stay in the Walled City, but for this area the accommodations were very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike_S_Chicago
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first when I made the reservation, I felt the hotel was over price, but when I arrived I felt much much better to find out that is hotel iis well worth the price.
Beautiful rooms with a view, great maintenance staff service, 24 hours hotel security, lots and lots of amenities like I had never seen before.
I will definetaly stay at this Hotel again.

NOTE: I have been working in the hotel industry for over 20 years, I highly recomend this hotel as your vacation destination.

Martin Hernandez

Room Tip: A lot of the times when we travel we look for the most inespensive hotel to stay, but often we encou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends