“Loved this place”

Hotel Capilla del Mar
Ranked #25 of 156 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed March 9, 2013

From the 24 hr security staff, to the bell hops, to reception, waiters, pool bartender, maid service, and much much more, this place was exquisite. I particularly enjoyed the foam beds and foam pillows they have at the beachfront lounge area. The staff was friendly, well informed of surrounding areas and attractions. The breakfast buffet was delicious, huge selection of fresh juices and fruits, made to order omelets (ask for Dina) and pancakes, and traditional cheeses, pastries and Colombian foods. The view of the beach from this buffet restaurant was wonderful, but the one from the roof deck pool and bar was breathtaking. I would go back to this Bocagrande beauty in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view balcony suite, there is construction on a new hotel to the left but it was just...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank FrancysC

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Love the view from the rooftop pool,very romantic..Capilla del Mar is directly overlooking Bocagrande Beach, and was only a short cab ride from the Walled City. Almost all staff we encountered spoke English and they were very helpful in answering questions or making recommendations. The room itself was spacious with a great balcony; furniture was perhaps a bit past its prime, but this wasn't a bother. Breakfast was GREAT, and there was always coffee available in the lobby. Guard was so nice and felt safe he would watch me walk the entire block since i like to walk and at night would watch out for me if it was early evening, would step off the curb to watch me walk the whole block. we had a choice and they took us to las americas resort with a great swim up bar if we wanted to go.. loved it at CDM. Stayed 11 days>>

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank L V
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Capilla del Mar is directly overlooking Bocagrande Beach, and was only a short cab ride from the Walled City. Almost all staff we encountered spoke English and they were very helpful in answering questions or making recommendations. The room itself was spacious with a great balcony; furniture was perhaps a bit past its prime, but this wasn't a bother. Breakfast was good, and there was always coffee available in the lobby.

A few drawbacks: while we were in town, the pool was closed for a private function. Also, the bar on the 21st floor is a fun place (albeit loud) to hang out. On our second evening there, though, the bartender charged me for a very expensive whiskey and claimed to have not understood my request, despite me specifically saying the name of the cheaper whiskey and pointing to it on the menu. In that situation, I would have expected the bartender to side with the customer and simply mark down the price, but instead I gave up and just paid.

The hotel always had a security presence at the front door; I would have preferred, though, if that presence was expanded to the entire parking lot. As soon as we stepped down from the front porch, we were approached by locals trying to sell us crafts or services and in one case--rather uncomfortably--trying to get us to let them drive us around.

If I was visiting Cartagena again, I would probably stay in the Walled City, but for this area the accommodations were very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mike_S_Chicago
Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first when I made the reservation, I felt the hotel was over price, but when I arrived I felt much much better to find out that is hotel iis well worth the price.
Beautiful rooms with a view, great maintenance staff service, 24 hours hotel security, lots and lots of amenities like I had never seen before.
I will definetaly stay at this Hotel again.

NOTE: I have been working in the hotel industry for over 20 years, I highly recomend this hotel as your vacation destination.

Martin Hernandez

Room Tip: A lot of the times when we travel we look for the most inespensive hotel to stay, but often we encou...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Suggestions:

Improve fitness studio. Lacks of equipment.
Swimming pool too small.
Make bar modern of the 21st floor.

It would've been a lot more useful for hotel customers if the service here can accommodate English moreover understanding of the variousness in dietary requirement; such as vegetarian and vegan. Gracias !

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Construction on the left side and back of the hotel. Tall buildings around the hotel interrupting the view.. We were staying for almost 2 weeks and the reception first offered and showed us a better room (with full ocean view) but decided not to change us as we then would have had to swift room for the last 5 days- but we didn't mind so we think that the reception showed no flexibility.
The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. Small pool and sun beds on roof top - not at all crowded. Beach area nothing special - sand (but not white) and waves (but not turquoise). There is a heavy trafficked road between the hotel and the beach. The sidewalks for pedestrian are either non existing or in a bad shape. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to families with small children or disabled persons.

Room Tip: Front rooms are best
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Mixed reviews of this hotel by our trip advisor community should have stopped us.

Our room was just basic, to put it mildly: Spacious enough but was drab and smelled damp all the time. It was also loud with outside voices echoing off the granite floors. They broadcast music in the hallways during the day.

Staff was unhelpful, indifferent, and lazy. Breakfast was just barely adequate for a hotel fancying itself to be above the cut.

The pool is very small. The beach across the street is just awful: dirty, unpleasant and loud with pesty vendors.

If we had not paid up in advance we would have left as soon as we saw our room.

• Stayed: December 2012