“It is well worth the price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Capilla del Mar

You added Hotel Capilla del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Capilla del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrera 1ra. No. 8 -12 | Bocagrande, Cartagena 3939, Colombia (Formerly Capilla del Mar Global Hotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 142 Hotels in Cartagena
Long Beach, California
“It is well worth the price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

At first when I made the reservation, I felt the hotel was over price, but when I arrived I felt much much better to find out that is hotel iis well worth the price.
Beautiful rooms with a view, great maintenance staff service, 24 hours hotel security, lots and lots of amenities like I had never seen before.
I will definetaly stay at this Hotel again.

NOTE: I have been working in the hotel industry for over 20 years, I highly recomend this hotel as your vacation destination.

Martin Hernandez

Room Tip: A lot of the times when we travel we look for the most inespensive hotel to stay, but often we encou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Suggestions:

Improve fitness studio. Lacks of equipment.
Swimming pool too small.
Make bar modern of the 21st floor.

It would've been a lot more useful for hotel customers if the service here can accommodate English moreover understanding of the variousness in dietary requirement; such as vegetarian and vegan. Gracias !

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Construction on the left side and back of the hotel. Tall buildings around the hotel interrupting the view.. We were staying for almost 2 weeks and the reception first offered and showed us a better room (with full ocean view) but decided not to change us as we then would have had to swift room for the last 5 days- but we didn't mind so we think that the reception showed no flexibility.
The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. Small pool and sun beds on roof top - not at all crowded. Beach area nothing special - sand (but not white) and waves (but not turquoise). There is a heavy trafficked road between the hotel and the beach. The sidewalks for pedestrian are either non existing or in a bad shape. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to families with small children or disabled persons.

Room Tip: Front rooms are best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Canadian at large
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Mixed reviews of this hotel by our trip advisor community should have stopped us.

Our room was just basic, to put it mildly: Spacious enough but was drab and smelled damp all the time. It was also loud with outside voices echoing off the granite floors. They broadcast music in the hallways during the day.

Staff was unhelpful, indifferent, and lazy. Breakfast was just barely adequate for a hotel fancying itself to be above the cut.

The pool is very small. The beach across the street is just awful: dirty, unpleasant and loud with pesty vendors.

If we had not paid up in advance we would have left as soon as we saw our room.

2 Thank Nofoodie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 2 days with my husband and we frankly felt that the rooms were very basic. The quality of the rooms and furnishing did not match the priced paid. While rooms were clean, it was old and not well maintained. Location was good and staff were always lovely. They saved the stay. Unfortunately I would not go back to this hotel in a hurry.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Playfulphoenix
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this place for 4 nights in November, and I had a very good stay. The biggest positives about this place were the location right across from the beach, the huge rooom size, and the incredible view I had from my balcony. My room had two bathrooms, a living room, and bedroom, and a large balcony. The room category that I was in was sort of in the middle, it wasn't their cheapest room, but it wasn't their most expensive room either.

The room was a little dated, especially the bathroom, but not so much so that I felt I was staying in an old place. We did have problems with the shower on our first night and reported it to the front desk. A maintenance man was at our room within 15 minutes, and repaired the shower within an hour. It was good to see they were quick to resolve a problem when needed.

Bocagrande beach was not very appealing, I did not even go to Bocagrande beach except for taking a walk. If you want a nice beach, take a day trip to Playa Blanca, it's well worth it. I enjoyed the rooftop pool, the 360 degree views of the bay, the ocean, and the city were spectacular. Of course they had a full bar up there which is great. The pool is small, but it was not crowded when I was up there. Not much shade up there, so I hope you like the sun.

The colonial city was a short inexpensive cab ride away from the hotel. The are plenty of restaurants, shops, and fast food places within walking distance of the hotel as well, but I mostly ate at places around the colonial city. I enjoyed my stay here, and in Cartagena itself, but one thing I must point out to all you English speakers is that Cartagena does not have enough English speaking people in their tourism industry, so if you are not with someone who speaks Spanish (I was with someone who spoke Spanish) you might have a tough go of it communicating with people, even at the hotel. But don't let this discourage you, I certainly would return to Cartagena even without a Spanish speaking person, I had a great time in Cartagena.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here for a week after 5 nights in Old Town. It was a good combination as 5 nights in the Old Town was plenty to experience the history and we now wanted some beach and fiesta! The Capilla del Mar is a high rise beach hotel. The room we had was on 15th floor and overlooked the ocean - it was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The views from the balcony were amazing. I found all the hotel staff very helpful and unlike many others I found many who spoke English, and if they didn't they would find someone who did. They are obviously in a period of renovation, we had a renovated room and it was great but perhaps other reviewers did not. While we were there the pool was closed which was a bit of a blow as the beach is not that nice and you are bothered by hawkers every few seconds. You can go to another hotel to use their pools, it is a nice hotel but about 30 mins drive and if you want to lounge by the pool you don't necessarily want to pack up and spend 30 mins on a bus to get back to your hotel room. I think once the pool and upper bar area is finished it will be amazing. The concierge and tourism staff are really helpful and the tours we booked through the hotel were first class.
The breakfast buffet is good, but make sure it is included in your room rate otherwise it can get expensive. There is a cafe/bar overlooking the beach and this is very nice. You can people watch at the beach, the food was reasonably priced and good. Happy hour you get two mojitos for the price of one - the best mojitos I had in Colombia.
All in all I would definitely stay here again and it will be even better once all the renovations are finished.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and overlooking the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple