“Step back in time”

Sydney
“Step back in time”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Nice, would stay again
Loved the style, the pool at night, staff are very friendly.
Beaches near by aren't great but it's a short taxi ride to the walled city, beware if being ripped off in boca grande beach!
Highly reccomend a visit to playa Blanca- we paid 90 000 pesos each to a driver Organised by hotel

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
NJ
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Last month I had the pleasure of staying at Casa Bustamante for 5 nights. I researched options for days, and found this to best match my needs for proximity, yet privacy outside the busy Old City walls. This 6 room boutique hotel exceeded all my expectations. The bed was luxurious, the bathroom (in #5) had an area that opened to the sky, a lovely, spacious hot water shower, and the pool was large enough for me to swim in it's medium sized, oval shape and feel exercised. The room was CLEAN, and lovely. The breakfast adequate and tasty. The staff was so responsive to the needs of all the guests; friendly and professional. Staying in the former grand home I felt like a house guest. I even got to meet the owners who had once lived there, and they tried to help me reach old contacts from the area. They and the staff care so much about keeping the quality of the residence high, and try to answer every need. I found the walk to and from the Old City to be short enough, and safe. You even pass a residence of a former dignitary, now open to the public, and a guard was ever present, adding to my sense of safety. The restaurant you also pass just before that is excellent, and a bit more reasonable than inside the walls. I had a fillet of fish in a tropical sauce that I can't wait to have again upon my return to Casa Bustamante!
PS- All exterior photos were taken at night. Room pics during the day.

Room Tip: Liked #5 away from the street, and steps from the pool. From what I could see, all the rooms are lar...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank fotowo
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at Casa Bustamante for a weekend while I was in Cartagena. It's a fantastic location: walking distance to the old city, a block from the beach, and just minutes from the airport. The neighborhood is beautiful and fairly quiet (after experiencing the oppressive heat of the old city, you'll be glad you stayed outside the city walls, too). The hotel is an old mansion that's absolutely beautiful, and the room was spacious with lovely furniture and very importantly, strong air conditioning. Miguel was super friendly and welcoming and I was so glad to receive a warm welcome. Everyone was helpful giving tips about where to go and setting up a boat trip for me (100% recommend doing a trip to the Islas Rosario, but you can also just go to the port yourself to get tickets). The breakfast was excellent, and there are plenty of restaurants nearby to choose from for other meals. I'd recommend this place to solo travelers and couples in particular, and I'd definitely stay here again next time I'm in Cartagena.

Room Tip: Room 5 is the best!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was our first trip to Colombia and we were pleasantly surprised by the huge rooms, swimming pool area, delicious breakfasts, warn friendly service from Angelica, Miguel, Alma and the other staff who made us feel at home. We liked it so much we came back for our return leg in Cartagena.

The building is an old villa which has been restored in stylish but traditional manner into a boutique hotel. It's about a ten minute walk to the walled city or a £2 taxi ride

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I am currently staying at Casa Bustamante , and came here due to the good reviews I have seen on Trip-advisor. I have to agree with everyone else's comments.
Its a small establishment with big room (high ceilings) , mini bar in the fridge , high pressure shower (a luxury compared to the hostels Ive been staying in) and a beautiful receptionist. What more could you ask for haha!

So ... its also important to state that it is a luxury ''Hilton Hotel'' , if you want that you'll have to pay 4x times as much and and not get the home away from home feeling you get here.

The beds are comfortable (I've got a massive double bed) and the rooms feel spacious due to the high colonial ceilings. The bathroom is a very good size also , and has been refurbished.
A/C works very well and its overall a very comfortable place to stay.

Another thing is that today i had troubles booking my tickets to Bogota. So I needed to spend a few hours talking to my bank in Australia , rebooking flights and a few other things. The girl at reception said

''its ok....stay as long as you like , we are not charging anymore for you to stay a few hours longer'' even though I felt like any other place would defiantly charge a late fee or something similar. So its because of this today that i felt i really wanted to share with you all how much i liked this place.

I could easily stay longer.
Thanks for your friendly service :-)

Room Tip: I stayed in the room right at the back on the left hand side. Very comfortable
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We can't say enough how great of an experience and the right choice we made to stay here. Decided to make Cartagena an extension of our Brazil World Cup trip. The rooms are large, the architecture beautiful in this Spanish colonial home transformed. Only 6 rooms total. Five to 10 minute walk to old city (Walled City), very safe. Air-conditioned and ceiling fan combination in each room. Breakfast was wonderful. The little pool is clean and a great touch with the painting But the real gem is the staff. They are beyond helpful, friendly and responsive. When the tour we booked ourselves ahead of time didn't show, they voluntarily contacted them to find out what the problem was & confirmed rescheduling for the next day. You are always escorted to the gate, flagged a taxi and confirmed a price for you before you depart. I would gladly recommend Casa Bustamante.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kirreck
Newcastle
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We decided to splurge and booked the Casa Bustamente. It is a lovely old house, only five min walk to the walls of the old city. Our room was massive, with 10m high ceiling. AC that works, and a fan to keep the air moving at night. Fridge in the room for cold drinks, and a lovely pool in the back yard. Very comfortable beds. The staff was very helpful, and breakfast excellent, A bit expensive, but if you can afford it, a lovely base to explore Cartagena

Room Tip: We choose the room with the high celings - more likely to keep cool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple