“Beware, it looks good but can make you sick!”

Cuzco Cocina Peruana
Ranked #18 of 698 Restaurants in Cartagena
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Los Angeles
“Beware, it looks good but can make you sick!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I consider myself a foodie and love to try out new places.
So when I went out for lunch and had a spectacular ceviche with coconut in the Boliche del Ceviche I went ahead and asked the manager if he had a good recommendation for dinner. Among some suggestions he made was Cuzco.
The place looks very nice, has life music and everything looked promising. So I started off with a Pulpo (octopus grilled with a aji vinaigrette). The pulpo was very tender but overseasoned and quite salty. Overall not bad but not great.
The main course was a arroz de marisco (paella style seafood dish) with squid ink. I should have sent it back right away when I saw they had sprinkled parmesan cheese on top. But since I am no good snob, who does not accept the cardinal rule of no cheese with seafood or no reds with white meat and fish, I went ahead and have it a try. To my disadvantage I was also very hungry and instead of cutting my losses right then and there I ate most of the dish. The flavor was not good but not terrible and since I had had a great day in this wonderful city I decided not to complain or send the dish back.
All in all this was a huge mistake since later in the evening I started having stomach cramps. As I lie now in my hotel room with severe good poisoning instead of taking my arranged boat your to the island I curse my poor decision of eating a mediocre contaminated dish.
One may say that things like can happen but I would say that it should not happen in a place with the ambitions Cuzco has.
Overall I would say that this place is pretentious and expensive for what it offers. Service is on level with any other restaurant I visited in Cartagena not above as you would expect in a place that drives to be a luxury restaurant.
My recommendation is stay away from Cuzco. There are many other good options like the one mentioned above, La Perla, Juan del mar, etc.
And finally the morale of this whole story don't go by looks, don't eat what does not meet your standards and finally stay away from Cuzco if you don't want to possibly run your vacation for a mediocre expensive meal.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank TravelEpicurist

Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
“Delicious!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is a gorgeous space, much larger on the inside than you would think. The food was excellent and quite reasonably priced compared to other nice Old City restaurants. The staff were all friendly and attentive. My husband had the crab ravioli, which he said were phenomenal. We has a large-ish group and the service did not suffer for it, which was nice.
We'll be back!

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“Romantic Dinner Spot with Tasty Peruvian Cuisine!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to have our "fancy dinner" at this restaurant while spending a long weekendin Cartagena. The ambience was the best part, by far. Our table, close to the pool in the courtyard, was intimate and still close to the live music. Our waiter was super attentive and the food was quite tasty. I had a ceviche and some beef potsickers while my boyfriend had the lomo cuzqueno, and for dessert we had the pie de maracuja (passionfruit). The dessert was my favorite, but everything else was quite good too.

Yes, it's expensive, and no, it's not authentic Colombian food, but it was a great experience overall.

London
“Way overpriced for decent food”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The food was good but at this price I expected much better. The service was lacking even though there seemed to be so many people around.

Dinner for two with one bottle of cheap wine was 100 pounds. Comapre this to la mulata where two of us ate for 15 pound and the food was better.

I also had to go and change as they didnt accept sandles (I had smart shirt and smart horts on) but lots of lads around wearing t shirts and jeans. The waitress said the food was worth the change, well not really.

Also I read lots of reviews about an amazing desert to find out they didnt have it and this was a saturday night early in the evening, bit disapoitning.

London, United Kingdom
“Cuzco is a MUST.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

After 3 months of eating out in Cartagena we gave up on reservations and meticulous online checks, we just wondered around and.. came across Cuzco. Just how could we have missed it for that long?

I could pretty much copy and paste my fellow reviewer underneath. Yes, it comes with a price tag, and yes, it's well worth it. To make the most of it, I suggest go in the evening, ideally at a weekend, when the atmosphere is the most bustling and the live band is on. As I said, we did not make a reservation. Got a lovely table in the courtyard by the pond/pool. There is also an AC area inside. Overall a stunning setting.

Service was top-notch, as was the food- that goes without saying. Go for the 'sharing' starters - a delectable sampler of 4 dishes (different variations)- if you're a party of 3 or more. We found it slightly too big for the 2 of us.
Both our mains- langostinos on a bed of guacamole and chimichuri steak - were perfectly cooked. The mains menu seems to be different variants of the same thing but at least they specialize in it I suppose.

Nice dessert menu, good wine list. Pisco sour was exceptional, flavoured margarita not quite- the only minus of the night.

The welcome glass of sparkling wine on arrival was a lovely touch, found nowhere else in town.Treat your date or family, you won't forget Cuzco.