“Chicken in vegetarian dish”

El Balcon Eat Drink Love
Ranked #138 of 720 Restaurants in Cartagena
Cuisines: Caribbean, Colombian, International, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ambient cafe/restaurant/bar set in the buzzy and historic Plaza San Diego. Delicious food at great prices. Famous for their authentic thai green curry, nachos, ceviche, hummous, and the best mojitos in town!
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We ate ate the resturant because of favourable reviews. The ? owner assured me that they could do the Thai curry with vegetables only (I have been a vegetarian for 42 years). And I was very clear in ordering that I wanted the vegetarian Thai curry. (Sin carne) To my horror as I got down in the bowl, there were pieces of chicken. We complained to the waitress. The owner had vanished, and the cook said that it was prepared with chicken. Then they still charged me for the dish. Not happy. The food is expensive, and there are better places to eat.

There are newer reviews for El Balcon Eat Drink Love

Reviewed May 6, 2014

" Resto bar El balcon " his a great place to have a little coctail and oversee the wonderfull place just in front...family owned Abdul Falah and his sisters make you fell at home and serve a simple and delicious local food with a taste of middle east and Thai food...if you want to have a great time..this is the place you are looking for..Thanks to the friendly atmosphere...

1  Thank timeway
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Cocktails are great! Location is perfect ....as the staff . Food is not bad but not so tasty and not so cheap . My favorite place to have a drink in cartagena .

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Despite some mixed comments from other travelers, My lunch experience at El Balcon was the best during my stay in Cartagena.

The restaurant is located at a relatively quieter part of the old town, overlooking the Plaza de San Diego. I love the decoration of the place and the view from the balcony is pretty good.

I ordered the shrimp ceviche and it's honestly the best I've ever had.

Some people commented on the poor service but I found my waitress very attentive.

I would definitely go back for another meal and would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Felicity_ssimo
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice view with the balcony and well attended by the servers but some flaws with the food and the wine and how the tip is collected.

Beginning with the apps, the ceviche I was told was cooked for 15 minutes (sea bass) but the order was served to us in half that time which could only mean that it was prepared beforehand - Not good if you are looking for fresh ceviche. Although the portion was large and the price was OK (US$9) it was like eating wet cardboard.

My wife ordered the salmon ratatouille which arrived half cooked with no flavor so after a few bites she decided to take it home in a doggy bag were we hoped to doctor it up a bit and make it eatable. The restaurant has no containers for this service and provided 2 plastic plates which were sufficient for the purpose but they should have icopor containers for takeouts

I had the Posta Cartagenera which was very good but not special - to be honest I have never had a bad posta in all the restaurants in Cartagena where I have had it (Mila's - Cande - Pepina and now El Balcon) so Cartageneans certainly know how to prepare the dish.

I had a glass of the house white wine (Sauv Blanc) with the ceviche but it was served from a bottle with NO label and was corked with a champagne cork instead of a regular cork which leads me to believe that the wine was most likely transferred from a carton container to the bottle before serving. The sweet taste and lack of body made it indescript and unable to make the taste of the ceviche better.

Only one dessert offered (maracuya mousse) so we passed in order to get an ice cream at the Paradiso a couple of blocks away (Great artesian ice cream - the same as served at Carmen's)

The bill did not separate the cost of the meal from the applicable taxes (8% VAT) but rather only showed the total and then the tip (10%) was added on to that total. Most restaurants collect the tip based on the cost of the meal without the tax so this method seems to be a little shysterly since you are tipping also on the tax. RARE and the first time I have seen this at a restaurant in Cartagena.

Happy hour until 7:00 pm is the most likely reason I would return but only for drinks ( a nice selection of cocktails 2 x 1) and social gatherings with friends, but not for the food at this informal eatery.