“Lived up to expectations”

Hotel Casa San Agustin
Ranked #3 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Having had a slightly disappointing stay elsewhere in Colombia we decided to come to Cartagena to relax. On a bad internet connection I logged into tripadvisor to check for the #1 rated hotel in Cartagena (this one!) and booked a 2 night stay. On the strength of this visit I am already planning my next trip to Cartagena. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here who seem genuinely keen that their guests should have the best possible experience not only of the hotel but also of Cartagena itself. The pool in its courtyard was warm and in a magical setting, the library is a perfect spot to relax with a drink, the restaurant served food as good as we have experienced anywhere in Colombia. If you need anything the front desk can arrange it, from tours to taxis to general advice. Many of the most scenic parts of town are a short walk away and we were only sad that our visit was so brief. So thank you tripadvisor for leading us to this gem of a hotel and thank you all at Casa San Augustin for making it such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gustavo_santoscoy01, General Manager at Hotel Casa San Agustin, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Guest

We really appreciate your kind comments and we are so glad to know that your stay in our hotel was great. We work everyday to exceed our customers’ expectations.

We hope you can come back soon and we wil give you a warm welcome.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

A small boutique hotel centrally located in the walled city of Cartagena. The hotel is beautifully and recently, appointed. It reminds me of a Riad in Morocco.

The staff is excellent and provides incredible personal service. One night, when I asked for directions to a restaurant, a staff member offered to take me to the restaurant and then refused a tip. That is a first. On another occasion, I am I asked for a typical Colombian omelette but must have asked in my pathetic Spanish for a typical Colombian breakfast. The next thing I know, out comes the most incredible and sumptuous Colombian breakfast with empanadas, yucca and a few other delicacies. When I mentioned that I wanted to try some unusual local fruits at breakfast, a huge basket of fruits was placed in my room. Each day when I wanted fruit, the chef prepared a plate with the fruits I selected. That is incredible. When I arrived, there was a wonderful dessert sampler waiting for me in my room. Each night, there is a little Colombian treat by the bedside. It was different each night. The staff went above and beyond in every way.

The staff recommendations for activities, guides, shops and restaurant recommendations were excellent. The hotel’s recommendation to visit the Rosario Islands was a great suggestion. The hotel is a little lax in responding to emails but I think some of this is cultural since I noticed it at other hotels. South Americans do not seem to have the sense of urgency that Americans do….

The rooms and bathrooms are large and airy. The showers are huge. They provide large size italian bath products with comfy robes and slippers. The beds are large and sumptuous.

The rooms with private pools or jacuzzis are incredible. It is as if you are in your own little oasis.

The breakfasts are lavish and yummy with champagne. There is a large variety and an egg option as well. Don’t miss the cheese rolls which are delicious especially, when they are warm.

The hotel has a pool but there are f no lounge chairs which is disappointing and probably, my only complaint. That said, there are not a lot of people in the pool so swimming laps is not an issue. It is located in a beautiful courtyard and is uplift in the evening. It is stunning.

There is no spa, but a masseuse is called to the hotel. The massage is performed outside on a private terrace which is incredible. The price is very reasonable.

This hotel is great for a romantic getaway or a small family since they have rooms with multiple bedrooms. I looked at a few of the other hotels I considered. The Hilton is in the new section and far from most of the tourist sites. It is by the beach but the beaches are all public. The Sofitel is not far from Casa San Agustin in the old section. It is beautiful and has a large pool with lounge chairs. It is definitely, much larger. Even if you don’t stay there, it is worth seeing from a historical point and to see the two toucans that fly around and come really close to you. The Pestagua looked tired. If you want to spend time at a pool than Casa St Agustin is not the right option but if you want a small, intimate hotel with excellent service in a romantic setting, this is the perfect hotel. Thank you for a wonderful stay. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Intrepidtraveler53

Dear Guest

Thanks for your words about our Hotel and your experience with us.

Your comments are very important and it is our mission to exceed our customers’ expectations.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great hotel, there is design and detail in everything...from the handpicked granadas in the reading room, to the subtle music on the hallways, fresh minty water in living room areas to the beautiful spacious rooms. Great service, breakfast is really nice...great experience overall.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your excellent comments.

We are very pleased to read about your great experience in our hotel. it's very important for us to offer the best stay ever to our guests and know that we are doing well it's so rewarding.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We felt like a prince and princess upon arrival and throughout our experience. This hotel was just delightful and the room felt like home to us.

The service is 5 star and very accommodating. Love the pool in the center of the property. It's good for an afternoon or even a midnight dip...

This hotel is walking distance to everything and the staff were very helpful in showing us where to walk, securing reservations, etc. Whatever we needed they were happy to provide. And, they provide you with iPad Mini's which serve as your digital concierge to order room service, find nearby attractions, and anything else you could possibly need from the hotel staff.

Will definitely be returning to this wonderful property in the center of Cartagena.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room on the 1st floor, which was very private, spacious, quiet and very comfortable...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

It is a pleasure to know that we are doing our best to satisfy our Guests. Casa San Agustin is committed to providing its customers an unforgettable stay.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel the last week of October 2013.
I wanted to give myself some time before I wrote this review as I have some mixed feelings about a few issues and wanted to think about our stay before I put my thoughts down in writing.

We received a very warm and appreciated greeting on arrival .Our first impression of the hotel was excellent... The main areas of the hotel are a fine example of what a professional restoration of an old building should look like...just an amazing work of art.. the development company must have employed some very skilled tradespeople as this look is very difficult and expensive to achieve.The attention to every detail is amazing.

We also had the pleasure of briefly meeting with the hotel manager...he spends time mingling with guests and always appears to be keeping a close eye on how things are running.
The staff,in general, are quite nice to deal with..they were very pleasant and always wanting to
assist you with anything you may require.
Some of the staff do not speak English (our Spanish is very limited) so at times had difficulty explaining some things...This was mainly an issue at the restaurant , however the menu is written in English so this was very helpful for us. Ask for Karen (restaurant) if you need assistance. She is so very sweet and also very anxious to speak and practice her English.

The pool in the hotel is on the main floor which is not such a great spot....the web site does touch on this issue so it was not really a surprise to us..There is a pretty, but very small, roof top sunbathing area to enjoy as well if you desire.

We were a little disappointed in our deluxe room. It was small,a bit dark and did not even have a comfortable chair to sit, read or watch T.V in...The king bed, however, was super cozy with very nice linens.
There was a small balcony attached to the room which overlooked a charming park like area.
The balcony had some planters on it, but again, was very disappointing as there was no seating available to enjoy the view.
Two small bistro chairs would have been a nice touch.

The closet in our room was extremely tiny ..maybe okay for one guest but certainly not for two.

On our first evening at the hotel we had dinner at the hotel's restaurant .Following our meal we returned to our room and were greeted by a tiny lizard on the wall... My husband promptly took care of the situation and I am pleased to say no other insects of any kind were seen anywhere else in the hotel during our stay. We noticed the following morning a small window above the balcony door was left open,so perhaps this was the reason for our unwanted visitor.

We decided to share our room dissatisfaction with the staff and within two days were offered
another choice. We were very pleased with the second room as it was larger than the first and offered a cozy sitting area. It also had better closet space and overall was more of what I thought we had booked. We were very thankful for the professional attitude displayed by the staff (front desk) when we shared our problem and have to emphasize how good the service is at this hotel.

I should also mention how nice the washrooms are.Both rooms we experienced were equipped with a large separate shower stall, ample storage and double sinks with large mirrors There was a good supply of towels,facecloths etc. Housecoats and slippers are provided as well.

Both of our rooms faced the street.We enjoyed watching all of the street activities but should mention the noise at night could possibly disturb a light sleeper. It was not an issue for us.Choose an interior room if this is a concern.

My last comment is about the restaurant Alma.
We were provided with an excellent buffet breakfast. Everything imaginable was available and always very tasty.
Dinner was good. Seafood choices are recommended.. found the meat dishes a bit overcooked.Presentation was excellent.

We would recommend this hotel to our friends and family...In fact, we already have some business associates who are considering a stay at this hotel in the upcoming new year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wendy f

Dear Guest

Thanks for your time and for your visit, we feel happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in Casa San Agustin. We appreciate your kind words and we will work to offer a better service according to all our guest’s comments and advice.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We spent three days at this beautiful hotel. My favorite part of Cartagena is this hotel! I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The decor was stunning. There was a refreshing swimming pool, which provided a great escape from the heat of walking through the city. The food at Alma was very good -- I liked how their breakfast was both cooked to order and had a buffet selection, and also liked how they provide little bottles of champagne! The staff was also very lovely -- there was one waitress that took extra good care of us. The room and bathroom were spacious.I loved the high ceilings in our room, but it was a bit dark -- one of the managers noted that next time, they could give us a sunnier room. Overall this was an excellent stay, but there are a few areas for improvement:
1) the pool area could use some lounge chairs
2) tours/excursions
(a) we booked a tour through the hotel and we were grouped together with a nice family staying at the Sofitel -- the tour was horrible -- the guide took us to an "emerald museum" and it was a total waste of more than an hour -- not really the hotel's fault, but I wish they did better vetting of the guides they send their guests to
(b) we wanted to visit their hotel on Baru Island, and the manager from the first day told us how lovely it was and booked us for that excursion for the next day, but when we inquired about it that evening to confirm, the person on duty informed me that there was no tour available the next day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank m3linda_c
Gustavo_santoscoy01, General Manager at Hotel Casa San Agustin, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for choosing Casa San Agustin as the best option to stay in Cartagena.

We appreciate your kind words and will work on your suggestions looking forward to provide a better service according to all our guest’s comments and advice.

We hope you come soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days in November. The staff is excellent and added to a great stay.

Positives:
Unique rooms all meticulously maintained
Attentitive staff for a very comfortable stay
Attention to design and detail
Walkable location close to everything in the old town
Cute outdoor pool area with daybeds for reading, playing cards, and chillaxing
Excellent mojitos in the bar
Loved the atmosphere and vibe

Negatives:
We didnt mind, but the pool is in a very public space so not much privacy
Breakfast was good, but would have enjoyed at least one local dish as an option

To note:
Cartagena is very hot (think Miami or New Orleans in the middle of summer), so pack accordingly. It is also a very small town so 4 days is plenty to enjoy walking around. We found the food excellent as well.

Would highly recommend this charming boutique hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank TravelGal415

Dear Guest

Thanks for your kind comments, we really appreciate it and we will work hard looking forward to provide a better service according to all our guest’s comments.