“Excellent location, AC & spacious suites”
Review of Blue House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Blue House
Ranked #130 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Location is perfect, can't be any better, right near San Diego Plaza and just a short walk to everything in the walled city.

Staff is able to help with the basics but its probably better to research a little before going there. Breakfast is included in the suite and was a perfect way to start our day. Room was very spacious and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the street and plaza, very pretty.

This isn't a traditional backpacker hostel, so even with the dorm room there isn't a spot for people to congregate so I really looked at it more as a b&b, which is perfect. There are only 3 rooms in the hotel right now (2 suites and a 8-bed dorm) so its quiet. If you're looking for a large backpacking hostel just head to el viajero, but this place was perfect for my stay.

The place is super clean and has strong AC, which was so needed after a hot day walking around. Highly recommended and I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice place, quiet, no party, good situated in the center next to a park, you can sit on the balcony and watch the scenary, personal is friendly, everything clean. Price is fair, breakfast is included and well served.

Room Tip: We stayed in the double suit with balcony, was a good choice! All rooms are second flour.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Well, I've booked me a place at the 8-bed dorm for 30,000 COP, which was quite cheap. And for what I"ve paid it was decent, but far from being great.

Location is superb, inside the walled city, but staff seemed quite lost sometimes when I asked for a few tips about Cartagena.

The dorm was decent, but it was so hot that even the air conditioning machines weren't enough to help making it through the night. I felt the hostel lacked a bigger common area to help the roomies to socialize better. Breakfast was good, tho had nothing special.

This place is good, and :I would recommend it to everyone, however it is very far from being considered one of the best hostels i've been to.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

If you want a huge dorm room with mainly non-bunk beds, with balconies that open out onto one of the beautiful plazas in Cartagena one side and to an ancient cathedral the other then stay here. They also have plush private rooms and breakfast is included. The people running it are very sweet and it's not over run with sweaty gringos like every other hostel in Cartagena. Plus the house is painted in awesome BRIGHT BLUE! The only bad thing I would say about it was that there were mosquitos in the building were everywhere, perhaps they should do a fumigation or take measures to prevent them.

Room Tip: Take the big dorm room with balconies opening out onto the main square
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Elemento Outdoo... A
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Based on the reviews, we stayed in this hotel in Cartagena. However, we were a bit disappointed. The room is OK, the service it OK, but not more than that.

The location is very good though, and there is a very good Italian restaurant close by which served good pizzas.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I loved the Blue House and actually moved there from El Viajero Hostel Cartagena, a block away, after figuring out that too many party nights, traffic, noise everyday along with bad smells was not going to cut it for me. El Viajero were happy to provide a recommendation for Blue house down the block. This was probably the best decision that I have ever made. Travelling to Cartagena is a huge change given that hotel are smaller and cost more based on travelling to other parts of Colombia. I met great friends from Canada, Spain, Argentina and UK including a musician and a BBC reporter. It was just cool to meet international people who had great stories to share. I remember fondly of this and shared a night out of town with new friends. I liked how it is smaller with less traffic, reliable internet, and honestly runned family buisness who tried to make you happy. I enjoy supporting small buinesses when I can. I found this far more a genuine experience in meeting my true needs. Althogh some people think it is a nuisance, for me it was peaceful to be right by a church and to see the people coming and going for service, seeing a thriving community and being in the centro areea. I also liked being in front of a city square, park, friendly vendors and this gave me a real appreciation for life in Cartegana for locals and foreigners. It exceeded my expectations becasue it was so friendly. How can I ever forget the BLUE House and this it only cost $20-30?? a night to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had a blast! best place in town. Met lots of great people the owners were great and helped me organize all my travels around Cartagena,
The first thing I noticed was The Blue house was very clean and organized for a older building.
Mosquitoes and noise in Colombia especially Cartagena? that would be crazy to say they dont exist just part of the fun and culture. Will be going back next year for.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends