“Well worth a visit!”

City Tour of Cartagena Including Convento de la Popa
Ranked #2 of 199 things to do in Cartagena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built by the Spaniards as a defense in colonial times, this is one of the oldest buildings in Colombia.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Really great views of the city! The audio guide was excellent and worth paying for. It perhaps was a bit too detailed for us as we only wanted to stay there for about 1.5 hours. So we had to kip a few tracks... But if you want to do the whole thing properly, allow about 3 hours.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Gorgeous views of the city, and an interesting 16th-17th century castle. We didn't take the tour, so we really didn't know what we were looking at most of the time, but it was fun to wander, climb, and explore. I was glad I brought a flashlight! At one point the lights went off in the tunnel and it was blacker than black down there.

The tour would have been a good idea, but coming home and reading up afterward worked.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was very interesting and absolutely huge. But it was the hottest place I have ever been. We did not see most of it because it was too hot to stay there any longer

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We wanted to have fun in Cartagena, but also wanted to see some of the history of this important old city. My husband and I had seen the Castle a long time ago, but our adult children were with us this time, so we all went to look around. Well worth the time. There is also an animated video (in the "hospital") that adds some depth. (It isn't a great production and the animation is not well done, but it is still worth seeing, and is available in English or Spanish. And the video room has A/C!) We didn't find a good guide who spoke English well and most of us were more comfortable listening to English. In high season I am sure there are more guides. We still enjoyed looking around and also seeing the view from the castle.

Side note - there are bats in at least one of the lower tunnels. A flashlight helps in the tunnels. Be sure to have water with you (if you forget to bring it, there are vendors in front who will be happy to sell it to you.) And wear sunblock.

2  Thank upandaway99
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I didn't take a guided tour, I just wandered around the fort myself. It was amazing to see the city from the view of the look out towers on the castle.

Review collected in partnership with StudentUniverse
1  Thank Julie M