“Great Hotel for an easy getaway”

Decameron Cartagena
Ranked #92 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I had a great time in this hotel. We travelled here with extended family in a group of 15 people. This property is great. We had kids aged 4yrs up to the elders of 78yrs. Everyone was catered for and all parties happy. The staff are friendly and take good care of you. it's an all rounder good quality hotel.
Just be aware though, that this is a little of the beaten track at the moment for some travellers. Make sure you practice your spanish if this isn't your first language before you go. It will make your trip alot easier.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank sandra1984
There are newer reviews for Decameron Cartagena

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Iwas in this hotel for 4 days with my wife and let me summarize you some comments:
1) Prices was high for the expectation, more than US$150 for a mediocre hotel
2) Elevators is a nigthmare, 3 elevators, not coordinated, so you have to spond more then 5 or even 10 minutes if you are in the upper level.
3) Rooms are older, not noise insolation (so when the party in the pool start ... until 11:00 you can not even hear the TV). Air condition bad and older. Bathroom with not minimal accomodations. Rooms are very bad.
4) Food and organization, for a all-inclusive resotr - is the worst I ever tried before. Sharing a table with other coupples? An Italian restaurant with the worst italina (is it?) food I ever ate. Unorganized restaurant, reservations for the morning, if you miss the time ... have to eat whatever is left.
5) Bar and drink are the best thing in the hotel. No doubdt.

In general, I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS HOTEL. How ever, you can no find a hotel with all-inclusive for this prices.

I RECOMMEND A LOWER RATE HOTEL AND SPEND THE MONEY IN DIFFERENT RESTAURANTS FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER. YOU WILL SAVE A LOT OF MONEY.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pagomez
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Two Colombian friends from Bogota and I, an American from San Francisco, stayed at the Decameron in October 2008. My Colombian friends booked the hotel & I just went along with no expectations. I really liked the Decameron. It was the first time I ever stayed at an all inclusive place and was pleasantly surprised. All food and drink is free so that added up to a HUGE savings during our stay. There are 3 restaurants to choose from so one does not get bored with the food.

The Decameron has a connection with a restaurant in the walled city and my companions and I enjoyed a lovely Teppan-yaki style dinner one evening - all included with our package. Think Benihana with odd cultural deviations. The Colombian chef cooks the food in front of you on a flat grill. The decor is Japanese. The food is classic Chinese and they serve Cabernet Sauvignon with everything. I found the whole event amusing. My Colombian friends had no idea there were culinary and cultural licenses taken. When I explained it to them, they did not seem to care. So I didn't either. :)

THIS IS NOT A LUXURY HOTEL. The rooms are basic, clean and comfortable. See the website photos. Everyone I encountered on the staff was professional, polite and helpful and most spoke English. (I speak fluent Spanish so spoke only Spanish during my stay out of courtesy. When in Rome....) Having cable TV with English language stations is nice for non Spanish-speaking guests. Security is very good so no riff raff gets into the hotel or the grounds. The Bocagrande neighborhood is swarming with street vendors trying to sell tourists trinkets, faux Rolex watches, jewelry, CDs, t-shirts, sunglasses, you name it. The hotel put on a different dance show at 9PM each night by the pool. One night the theme was African, another 1950s American with jitterbugging, and another night Argentine tango. Each show lasted about an hour and, yes, it was free as well. A full bar was open during the show and all drinks are free. And the 20-something dancers were great. Many are hotel employees who double as waiters/waitresses, bellmen and bus boys during the day. I would definitely stay there again. Regarding the comment on the air conditioning being too cold in the room, I got up on a chair and moved the louvers UP and the air did not blow on me directly. Before I did that, it was FREEZING. For the Americans who observed that there is no hot water: Colombian faucets are the reverse of American faucets. The left is cold; the right is hot. THERE IS HOT WATER. Don't use cultural ignorance to diss a hotel undeservedly.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank jmorgansf
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I went to Decameron for four days, I arrived at 1 pm and luckily I didnt`have to wait.
My room was on the 16 th floor, it has a nice view, but the bad thing is that I had to wait 15 minutes for the elevators, they are slow. The air conditionner had no remote control, so I was freezing!!! when I asked to regulate the temperature, it was Ok but a couple hours later I was completely sweat.
About the restaurants I tried the steak restaurant, the pool, italian, and the restaurant called San Pedro (walled city), definetely I recommend "San Pedro" if you like japanese or thai food, the only thing is that all the restaurants has a reservation, so if you like to go to San Pedro, you have to go in person very early in the morning (to the pool area), like 6:30am!!. The beach was regular, the sea and the sand are dark , but if you want to stay and relax it is imposible because there are annoying vendors trying to sell something, it was horrible.
The wall city is amazing, it has a lot of history , the monuments are impressive, I like Castillo San Felipe de Barajas. Also the streets with the balconies have a romantic environment. The carriage rides with horses at nigh totally worth it!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Patty_T_S
Reviewed November 30, 2009

First of all, be aware that you are in Latin America, and hotels are quite different than what we expect to see in the US. Not in a bad sense, but they are just different.

The all inclusive program is perfect, since all meals, and drinks are included. The hotel has different restaurants, in and outside the hotel. The lobby is really nice and modern, but the modernization has not climbed the 20'something stories this hotel has. The rooms, are quite old, but right sized. The teppanyaki is great, and located in the heart of Cartagena, which makes it very romantic. The other restaurants at the hotel are nice, and meet our expectations. Cartagena is a quiet city, so it is nice for a getaway. The beach in front of the hotel, looked very clean, but it is not a white sand beach like other Caribbean beaches I usually visit in Puerto Rico, and other caribbean islands.

Small pool for such a big hotel, but it was never crowded during our stay. The hotel offers a decent night show. Nice lobby bar and pub.

Worth the price

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank laristain
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Hi... Cartagena has been one of the best places that I've visited; but our visit in here could not be better, thanks to decameron Hotels and Resources; the attention is one, the food, the people who works in here is one too and the price is nice... the maximum.=) I recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank 0Trip_0
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We arrived at the Decameron on Sunday, June 7th.It was a high rise building located across from the beach. It was a very s l o w ...start. The clerks wrote everything down manually in a large, old book. The rooms were not ready until after 3pm. Then, getting our dollars changed into pesos was another s l o w process. Every bill was recorded. By the way, their prices are like ours..Nothing is cheap. FINALLY..we got a look at our very spacious suite..(did I mention I didn't ask for one?). It seems all couples usually get suites..that's a plus! It also had a balcony with a beautiful view of the stage/pool/beach..across the street. The elevators were a nightmare...super slllllooowww..Many times I just walked up and down 4 floors to avoid the wait. Now, for the pool..too small.. way too small. The beach was ok. The sand is dark. The food was good, however, not very abundant. Dinner was nice. Every night you may eat at one of their 4 "a la carte" restaurants. In the evenings there was a great latin band playing excellent latin music. In addition, there are nightly shows. Now, here's what aggrevated me the most...THE VENDORS !!!! I can say that now I know what celebrities must feel when they're approached by paparrazis. They are constantly in your face. You cannot walk 4 steps in peace. We tried to have some quite time at the beach, but we felt so uncomfortable, we had to leave. They wouldn't leave us alone. This hotel should have them set their merchandise somewhere else so that tourist can go to them when they want to purchase something. On one occassion we went to a poor town in a taxi, one vendor literally hung from our taxi door begging for us to stop and eat there. I've travelled to many countries, but this is certainly the worse case of harrassing vendors I've ever seen. The hotel will lose visitors if they don't find a solution to this. Overall, this hotel was good. The city is nice and has much history. The Colombian people are very nice and helpful. They've had a bad image in the past, but I can say that I felt safe at all times. We walked miles daily along the city streets without concerns....except for the VENDORS!!!

PS/ Always ask to see the menu (prices) when out in city restaurants..And, ask taxi drivers how much they will charge before you get in their car. We got ripped off twice. Also, teenagers get bored here. Nothing to do for them. No activities

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family