New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Decameron Cartagena

Decameron Cartagena
Ranked #82 of 146 Hotels in Cartagena
Lynnyg3
“A laughable carribean resort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Despite having to pay upfront and in full, this hotel is so bad that it begs belief. The terrible service began at the airport when they only had half of our group booked in for a transfer. We all had diff rooms (not the ones we booked) and ours stank of damp. When we got to our transfer to the much hyped Baru island resort they again only had half the names and refused to resolve the issue. I cant review Baru yet because i am sitting in the valet parking area watching our bags while my group argues with the management ..... getting absolutely nowhere. We feel like we have been robbed. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank Lynnyg3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you going to Cartagena de India, Colombia Decameron Hotel is a great choice. Everything in this hotel is very organized .You don't speak Spanish?NO PROBLEM always is someone with whom you can communicate in English. Employees are very nice and willing to help..If you would like to have a room with sea view just ​​send an e-mail before leaving. Ginette, manager at the front desk speaks English and she is very helpful in every situation. Meals are tasty, the rooms are basic but clean.Employees at this hotel are always smiling and professional approach to their work so why it is worth appreciate their good work and give them tips..Hotel is located about 20 minutes walk to the city center and is a safe area for tourists Colombians are very warm people.I really enjoyed my 1 week staying in Decameron Cartagena.

Room Tip: Get the room from 12 floor or higher
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rudasek01
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently returned from a weeks stay at the Decameron Cartegen and had a fantastic time. The staff the hotel and the food exceeded my expectations everything from the check in to the check out was great. WHile the staff have limited English I never experienced any difficulty they work hard at understanding what you are asking for or need.
The food at the breakfast bars, lunch bars and Ala cartes were great not a single complaint. The staff work hard at keeping everything clean, waiting on the guests and trying to engage the guests in activities at the pool and the beach.
The sun shades and loungers located at the beach are included in your stay as well as the hotel has a bar on the beach. The rooms are standard for two people however, the room for three and four are fabulous.

Excellent services, very attentive and just a great place to spend a week. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony, and if possible floors 3, 4, 5 ( this way you can use the stairs inst...
3 Thank sandsun11
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were inmediately greeted by one of the guest service agents. Hotel is only a 15 minute ride from the airport and shuttle service was included with our reservation. Upon arrival, the guest service agent took us into a meeting room and provided us with an overview of the hotel facilities and the area. She was very pleasant and welcoming. Check in was quick and efficient. Although the room wasn't ready (because we arrived at 11:00am), we were provided with our bracelets and were able to have a nice lunch. I most say that the hotel is a bit tired and in desperate need of a renovation, however, every single staff member was superb. The good thing about the rooms is that all have ocean view. One night I needed a ironer and when the housekeeper brought it up, she offered to iron for me -- of course, I declined the offer but thougth it was a nice touch. Every single staff member goes out of their way to make you feel at home. I thought the food was excellent and the staff in every single restaurant was just awesome. They really know what service is all about -- I hardly saw anyone tipping them which was too bad. If you are a seafood lover, you must go to the Seafood Restaurant. It was my favorite out of the 4 offered by the hotel. The restaurant option in the old city was not a big deal. The area where the hotel is located is extremely safe - there are no issues walking around, even wearing jewelry. The old city is spectacular. Went there every night to have cocktails and walk around. There are nice boutiques and great restaurants. Old City is very safe and it is a cheap cab ride from the hotel. My least favorite part was the beach because the hotel does not have a private one. You have to deal with the vendors trying to sell you stuff all day long. The massage ladies were extremely annoying. If you want an entire day of relaxation and beatiful beach, buy a day tour to the Decameron Baru - it is worth it. I would definitely go back to Cartagena.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocen view
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are no English speaking staff at all, so brush up on your Spanish. Food is good, all ala carte. The beach charges for lounge chairs. No mini fridge or coffee machines in rooms...no door peep hole either. Other than that, Colombian people are awesome and staff were fantastic.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 993Candiecane
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my first visit to Cartagena and I will definitely return. If you can get it for less than $800.00 you are getting a very good deal. I paid $740.00
The hotel is in the city and just across the street from the beach. A one minute walk from the lobby and you will be on the beach. If you are looking for a clear blue ocean you will be disappointed as the water is dark and the sand is of poor quality. The beach is public and there are many Colombians selling everything that a Wallmart sells. Be prepared to be harass by these sellers. Please remember that this is there livelihood and simply say no thank you if not interested. If you buy you will need to discuss the price as they start high. Only chairs are available and not many belonged to the hotel.
This is my fifth visit to a hotel that belongs to the Decamaron chain (others were in Panama and Salvador) and once again I was please with the quality of food they served. If you go to this hotel ask for a dinner at the restaurant in the old city which is included in your price. They will take you there and bring you back for free. Well worth it.
The hotel is a mere $3.25 taxi ride to the old town which is simply fantastic to visit. It is a beautiful city and very clean. You must visit the old city during the day and at night to see the difference. You can also get a horse drawn buggy from the hotel to the old city and back for about $30.00 which is a great deal. This will take about 1.5 hour and be prepared to be entertain once you get in the old city as signers,pranksters,jokers will all try to get your attention for a little tip (1 or 2 dollars will do it)
Anytime you use a taxi ask the price before getting in as there are no meters in them
I heard many rumors of people being afraid to visit Colombia but not once was I intimidated or felt afraid. If you are going to change American dollars for the Colombian peso do it in a place of money exchange or at the hotel. DO NOT DEAL WITH PEOPLE ON THE STREET WHO APPROACH YOU AND OFFER YOU A GREATER EXCHANGE RATE. THEY WILL WANT TO TAKE YOU SOMEWHERE TO DO IT. THEY WILL TRY TO CHEAT YOU AND YOU HAVE NO RESOURCE AGAINST THEM. TAKE NOTICE OF THIS.

Room Tip: I was on the 12 th floor and enjoyed it. Very quiet at night On the lower floors you would probably...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank luckyluc57
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Cartagena is a beautiful city with beautiful friendly people so it's unfortunate that this hotel could not live up to the beauty of Cartagena. From the moment we stepped foot in this hotel we knew it was not going to be a pleasant stay. The lobby staff was friendly but very unorganized. In the middle of trying to check in, they would allow other customers to cut in front of us and would start helping them. This happened several times which in turn prolonged our check in. We had to wait about an hour for our room so we had them hold our luggage. When we finally came back to ask for our luggage we were asked to go get it ourselves which I didn't mind, but when I got my luggage NO ONE checked to see if I indeed grabbed my own. In other words, I could have taken someone else's luggage or someone else could have taken mine. Personally I find that unacceptable.

Once we got to our room, it was mediocre for being an "all inclusive resort"! The room was small, the beds were uncomfortable, the walls are paper thin so we could hear the guests adjacent to us. The following day after our arrival, our room was not cleaned despite NOT posting the "do not disturb sign" Needless to say, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed at NUMEROUS all-inclusive resorts in other countries and have never had such a horrible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ExplorerRN

Travelers are raving about these Cartagena hotels