“Outstanding Service”

Decameron Cartagena
Ranked #92 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were inmediately greeted by one of the guest service agents. Hotel is only a 15 minute ride from the airport and shuttle service was included with our reservation. Upon arrival, the guest service agent took us into a meeting room and provided us with an overview of the hotel facilities and the area. She was very pleasant and welcoming. Check in was quick and efficient. Although the room wasn't ready (because we arrived at 11:00am), we were provided with our bracelets and were able to have a nice lunch. I most say that the hotel is a bit tired and in desperate need of a renovation, however, every single staff member was superb. The good thing about the rooms is that all have ocean view. One night I needed a ironer and when the housekeeper brought it up, she offered to iron for me -- of course, I declined the offer but thougth it was a nice touch. Every single staff member goes out of their way to make you feel at home. I thought the food was excellent and the staff in every single restaurant was just awesome. They really know what service is all about -- I hardly saw anyone tipping them which was too bad. If you are a seafood lover, you must go to the Seafood Restaurant. It was my favorite out of the 4 offered by the hotel. The restaurant option in the old city was not a big deal. The area where the hotel is located is extremely safe - there are no issues walking around, even wearing jewelry. The old city is spectacular. Went there every night to have cocktails and walk around. There are nice boutiques and great restaurants. Old City is very safe and it is a cheap cab ride from the hotel. My least favorite part was the beach because the hotel does not have a private one. You have to deal with the vendors trying to sell you stuff all day long. The massage ladies were extremely annoying. If you want an entire day of relaxation and beatiful beach, buy a day tour to the Decameron Baru - it is worth it. I would definitely go back to Cartagena.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocen view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are no English speaking staff at all, so brush up on your Spanish. Food is good, all ala carte. The beach charges for lounge chairs. No mini fridge or coffee machines in rooms...no door peep hole either. Other than that, Colombian people are awesome and staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank 993Candiecane
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my first visit to Cartagena and I will definitely return. If you can get it for less than $800.00 you are getting a very good deal. I paid $740.00
The hotel is in the city and just across the street from the beach. A one minute walk from the lobby and you will be on the beach. If you are looking for a clear blue ocean you will be disappointed as the water is dark and the sand is of poor quality. The beach is public and there are many Colombians selling everything that a Wallmart sells. Be prepared to be harass by these sellers. Please remember that this is there livelihood and simply say no thank you if not interested. If you buy you will need to discuss the price as they start high. Only chairs are available and not many belonged to the hotel.
This is my fifth visit to a hotel that belongs to the Decamaron chain (others were in Panama and Salvador) and once again I was please with the quality of food they served. If you go to this hotel ask for a dinner at the restaurant in the old city which is included in your price. They will take you there and bring you back for free. Well worth it.
The hotel is a mere $3.25 taxi ride to the old town which is simply fantastic to visit. It is a beautiful city and very clean. You must visit the old city during the day and at night to see the difference. You can also get a horse drawn buggy from the hotel to the old city and back for about $30.00 which is a great deal. This will take about 1.5 hour and be prepared to be entertain once you get in the old city as signers,pranksters,jokers will all try to get your attention for a little tip (1 or 2 dollars will do it)
Anytime you use a taxi ask the price before getting in as there are no meters in them
I heard many rumors of people being afraid to visit Colombia but not once was I intimidated or felt afraid. If you are going to change American dollars for the Colombian peso do it in a place of money exchange or at the hotel. DO NOT DEAL WITH PEOPLE ON THE STREET WHO APPROACH YOU AND OFFER YOU A GREATER EXCHANGE RATE. THEY WILL WANT TO TAKE YOU SOMEWHERE TO DO IT. THEY WILL TRY TO CHEAT YOU AND YOU HAVE NO RESOURCE AGAINST THEM. TAKE NOTICE OF THIS.

Room Tip: I was on the 12 th floor and enjoyed it. Very quiet at night On the lower floors you would probably...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank luckyluc57
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Cartagena is a beautiful city with beautiful friendly people so it's unfortunate that this hotel could not live up to the beauty of Cartagena. From the moment we stepped foot in this hotel we knew it was not going to be a pleasant stay. The lobby staff was friendly but very unorganized. In the middle of trying to check in, they would allow other customers to cut in front of us and would start helping them. This happened several times which in turn prolonged our check in. We had to wait about an hour for our room so we had them hold our luggage. When we finally came back to ask for our luggage we were asked to go get it ourselves which I didn't mind, but when I got my luggage NO ONE checked to see if I indeed grabbed my own. In other words, I could have taken someone else's luggage or someone else could have taken mine. Personally I find that unacceptable.

Once we got to our room, it was mediocre for being an "all inclusive resort"! The room was small, the beds were uncomfortable, the walls are paper thin so we could hear the guests adjacent to us. The following day after our arrival, our room was not cleaned despite NOT posting the "do not disturb sign" Needless to say, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed at NUMEROUS all-inclusive resorts in other countries and have never had such a horrible experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ExplorerRN
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We traveled to Cartegena from Trinidad with a tour group...Phill's Tours.
Our tour was for four nights and five days
We were picked up at the Raphael Nunez airport by a DeCameron bus.
We were welcomed at the hotel by hotel staff and taken directly into a restaurant where we were served lunch.
While we were having lunch, the hotel staff were busy checking us in, and by the time we were finished eating we were given our registration numbers on green hand bands.
At 3.00p.m. we were called by name and given our room keys.
From there on the fun began.
The hotel has four restaurants and we were allowed to choose which one we could have dinner in each night.
We also had a choice of an International restaurant in the old city for one night.
We never had to wo9rry about a meal.
Breakfast was at the poolside, lunch at the steak house, and dinner any restaurant we chose.
The hotel was right on the beach and the view from our rooms was fabulous.
There were tour buses leaving the hotel each morning and we took advanbtage of this to see Cartegena.

Room Tip: Select a room with a balcony overlooking the pool area and you will have a rinside view of the live...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Venicetripper
Reviewed September 9, 2012

All inclusive experience.
Rooms: Clean and comfortable room. No complains. Try to book an upper level room with great view. 4/5
Food: Great food, the best restaurant is the one on the roof (sea food). And you have the option of dinner on the antique city which is beautiful. 4/5
People: Very nice and make your life easy all the time. 5/5
Pool: Good enough. They give you pool towels. 3/5
Beach: Across the street. Isn't private, and the water is a little 3/5.

Options: You definitely should go on a city tour. Cartagena is beautiful, at night is amazing.
And I completely recommend a Islas del Rosario Tour. Great beaches and spectacular sea. Both (city and Islas del Rosario tours) you can buy it at hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors with view towards the sea
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DIEGO F G
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Why this hotel has 29 excellent reviews at the time of writing is beyond my comprehension.
When we arrived we were dealt with politely and efficiently and shown to our room, which on first glance seemed not luxurious but respectable. A 3 star room basically.
However, when I turned on the bedside lamp it didn't work at first and when I touched the bulb, I had an electric shock. We called room service and in fairness someone came quickly, and of course then the lamp worked efficiently.
Later after we had unpacked I noticed that we had no TV remote. I phoned reception and was told that one would be sent up. After waiting for 45 minutes I went down and got it myself.
Outside of the room in the corridor ceiling was an extractor fan, which made a terrific noise and next door to the hotel was a construction site where a new hotel was being built and it had men working there until after midnight.
The next morning we went to reception to complain and request a room change. We were informed that nothing could be done until 4pm that afternoon. We went out and when we returned to the hotel in the late afternoon, nothing had been done. As we only had 2 more nights there, rather than get heated and spoil our mood we decided to make the best of the situation and leave it be,
The hotel was not bad, but could have been a whole lot better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple