“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #16 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went to Cartagena for business with a very busy meeting schedule and let me tell you that staying at this hotel made my trip a lot less stressful. The hotel itself is very nice, the rooms are also very nice and clean, the pool area is great and has a perfect view. The restaurant at the pool has a great ceviche and the breakfast buffet has plenty of options for all tastes.
The SPA area is very clean and the massage I took was superb. Also the location of the hotel is very centric.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is a crown jewel in an exotic city. Service was excellent, especially helpful in arranging for taxi service to and from the airport. The rooftop pool, with its excellent views of the city, was about as serene a place to sip a mojito as possible. The outdoor cafe in front of the hotel has great live music in the evenings. A room with a view of the Caribbean. Not cheap, but hard to ask for much more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel over the last 6 yrs and I must say that the experience is just not the same anymore. I think this hotel now caters to the wedding and corporate crowd at the expense of it's regular guests. The night we arrived there was a corporate gathering that lasted until 3 am that literally was shaking the furniture in our second floor room. The following night was a wedding reception until 2am. When I asked the front desk for some explanation/accomodation they assured me on three different occasions that they were working on it......and nothing ever happened. When I went to check out, on my bill were 16 different charges for cell phone use on their network, totaling over 150,000 pesos. When questioned about these charges they simply stared at us in disbelief......and refused to let us talk to anyone of any higher authority. This hotel is very overpriced relative to the sofitel and some of the better boutique hotels (augustine, Agua etc). Also seems to cater to the older +60 crowd more than I remember. We did not see one guest under 20 (besides my 2 children) the entire 4 days that we were there. I enjoy cartegena for the music....the feel of the city being alive....the old city and its history, but never again using the Santa Theresa as my home.

Room Tip: get a room in the back ......and one of the rooms that were part of the original hotel if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jimedfitz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was just married in the Charleston on the 2nd of February! I cannot praise the staff enough for how incredible and helpful they were to me and all of my guests (we booked 23 rooms)!!!
From the atmosphere, to the food, to the beautiful flowers all over the hotel, I could not have asked for anything more! The wedding and experience was better than I could have ever imagined! Anytime I am back in Cartagena I will stay at the Charleston! Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later!!! 1st aniversary , maybe?!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Looking for a destination to plan your next trip? Looking for a hotel? I've got the perfect destination and hotel! Not only is this a beautiful property, offering its guest top of the line service, it is located in the heart of the old city, allowing tourists and locals to explore the beauty that Cartagena has to offer. Hotel Santa Teresa offers its guests multiple food and beverage options to choose from, ranging from the patio by the lobby for breakfast to the restaurant by the pool to the restaurant in the plaza. The rooms are very good in size some bigger than others but they all have nice decor. I have been staying at this hotel for the past 7 years and every time I am more pleasantly surprised with the excellent service provided.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed January 27, 2013

similar to other reviewers, we found that what we had reserved through American Express was not what was offered to us when we arrived. After we had a discussion, they did 'upgrade' (tho this was NOT an upgrade as we had it confirmed to us as a deluxe room by AMEX) to a deluxe room tho it was the least of the deluxe. A nice room but there were no apologies and no manager to discuss this with. We had a reservation for 5 nights and finally got to who we thought was the manager on the 4th day - Others we saw were offered juice on arrival and other amenities but perhaps as we arrived on a Sunday, we were offered nothing. The man who showed us our room went off to check how to open the window only to never return and when we asked what happened when we went back to the lobby, we were informed that the windows did not open! English is obviously not spoken regularly as we were often avoided. We choose this hotel as it was a medium sized hotel which we thought would therefore provide us with a concierge service in English - but this was not the case. There was no concierge but only an outside travel agent who had a window to book tours. When we asked about any concerts or art events, we weren't given any information but found out later on that there was a large concert as a book fair commenced the day before we left but by then it was too late. It was inconceivable that they were not familiar with what turned out to be a huge concert in a main square and obviously a main happening that week. We also never received a wake up call which could have been disastrous had we not set another alarm on our phone.....just in case. The desk was also pretty useless with shopping recommendations - There was NO list of restaurants tho we got one from the concierge at a competing hotel across town!
The good news is the location and the upstairs pool - tho small for swimming - is delightful -
the food for breakfast and lunch was served beautifully. Very disappointed in the service at the hotel - but loved being in Cartagena nevertheless.

Room Tip: Try to get the deluxe rooms and GET IT CONFIRMED by the hotel as they do not accept the confirm from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Beautiful choice for a luxury hotel inside the walled city. Perfect location (Sofitel is similar but on opposite side), great service, beautiful rooms. The rooftop terrace is amazing, and we could always find a spot. Were not that impressed with the food (then again, you should probably never order pizza in south america). The bed was super comfy, much better than anything else we'd experienced in Cartagena. Also really enjoyed having a balcony off our room (even with the standard room).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple