“Showing its age. Service subpar. Out of the way. Pass.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cartagena

You added Hilton Cartagena to your Saves list
Hilton Cartagena
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Almirante Brion | El Laguito, Cartagena 130001, Colombia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STOP CLICKING AROUND
Ranked #29 of 142 Hotels in Cartagena
Hong Kong, China
“Showing its age. Service subpar. Out of the way. Pass.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

At the end of the road stands hilton Cartagena. Signs of decay are everywhere. In need of a major makeover. Executive rooms on 3 located above the party areas where noisy fetes continue past five am. Avoid that floor at all costs as the staff area little about you. In a town with so many great hotels why stay here? Read my other hotel reviews. I am an easy grader so my 3 is pretty bad for a hotel

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is really important to us and we thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again if you return to the area.

Vinod Agarwal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This Hilton could probably be helped by a facelift. Everything is functional, practical, and the layout of the multiple pools is great with kids. It's private beach is small and has very dark sand... It is far from the old city, but taxis are very cheap in Cartagena. The staff is incredibly friendly. We felt very safe as the hotel records the taxi information and room number of all guests as you leave. Just a little extra safe feeling in what is a very safe part of Colombia.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
Vinod A, Director General at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hilton Cartagena. We are happy to know you enjoyed the warmth of our team members as well as our pool complex. Your feedback is very important to us, thank you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Beautiful sunsets on the beach. Never felt unsafe in the hotel area. Great walks around the hotel. Easy to get a taxi - don't rent a car because they drive crazy. English speaking staff was helpful. I have read some of the reviews about the pool area not being clean. When I was there the pool was clean and i am very fussy about a pool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs. Mary,

Thanks for choosing the Hilton Cartagena for your recent stay in our beautiful city! We are glad to know you enjoyed the helpfulness of our team members, strategic location and pool complex. Thanks for visiting Cartagena de Indias, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel was beautiful, clean, quiet and the breakfast was amazing! The view was beautiful and the room was immaculate! The staff spoke English which was great for me. The location is in a quiet dead end part of the city. The swimming pool was really nice and the beach was beautiful!! Had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guest

We really appreciate your perfect rating on TripAdvisor, Thank you! It is a pleasure to know that you experienced a great stay at the Hilton Cartagena and enjoyed our team members hospitality, hotel facilities and strategic location. We look forward to welcoming you back in our beautiful city.

Miami, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I visit Cartagena about once a month with my wife. We have tried almost every hotel in the city. The Cartagena Hilton is nice because it is right on the beach, but I still do not think it is worth the high price they charge. Many of the hotels there have nice swimming pools and clean/safe rooms, but less expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank David B
Dear Mr. David

Thanks for visiting Cartagena de Indias and choosing our hotel for your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us, we really appreciate it. Thanks! We are glad to know you enjoyed our hotel and location right on the beach.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I was really disappointed with the cleanliness of the pool area. The walking area should be swept and mopped with a disinfectant daily. The pool was dirty with hair, dead ants and mosquitos floating on the water and leaves from nearby plants and trees. I couldn't swim a stroke without something floating on the water all around me. I found it disgusting! I couldn't wait to take a shower after I got out of the pool. The area around the pools were dirty and lots of bird poop. Definitely would not walk around in bare feet. The hot tubs were not hot and had sand in them. We were turned off to go to the beach because we didn't get to step on the sand before we were bombarded by hawkers trying to sell us boat rides or "massages". The beach area should be roped off so the guests aren't bothered. There was garbage on the beach too. The dining and pool staff stand around most of the time with nothing to do. Customer service is poor. I was at the pool area for 4 hours one day and was not approached once if I wanted a drink. The tables outside in the dining area are old and cracked and should be replaced or cover them with tablecloths. We couldn't see out of the window in our hotel room because the glass was so dirty. I would not stay here again. It's a shame. Some TLC could really make a difference!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon A
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Mrs. Sharon,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at our hotel. I understand that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of our pool and am deeply disappointed by that. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that this area is of great importance to us as we ensure the comfort and satisfaction for our guests. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Kind Regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at the Hilton for a convention last February. First off let's start with the taxi service. To travel from the airport to the hotel is only $10 US, The cab drivers will try to charge you anywhere from $40 to $20 depending on your driver. It's best to determine your fare before you get in the cab. Just an FYI cabs are a wonderful way to see the city, we paid $6 US (each way) to travel around the city from our hotel. I have to confess my first impression of every hotel is how I am treated by the hotel desk clerks. The clerks at the Hilton were amazing! They make sure to greet you when you pass them in the morning and evenings, and are extremely helpful. My hotel room was spacious and clean and the bed (the most important part of my room) was perfect. I rarely eat in a hotel because I am not often fond of hotel food, but I can say that the breakfast buffet was excellent, It offered a wide variety of fruits, breads and main course selections. I can't review the evening meals because we ate out every night enjoying the local cuisines. The hotel clerk recommended a local indian restaurant The Genesha, being a vegetarian I was in heaven. What a great place to eat. The staff was accommodating when we asked if we could eat outside. The portions of the food are large, and the options for both meat eaters and veggie lovers are plenty. The hotel has a great outside pool. I didn't have time to walk out to the beach but the view was amazing. People asked me if I felt safe being in Columbia I found that interesting and then realized that we only hear the negative reports in the media, not the positive stories. I had a great time and despite what you read there are plenty of tourists heading to this charming city. Going to see the Walled City is a must! The converted old convent which is now a hotel and restaurant is charming. I would definitely recommend the hotel for business or pleasure trips.

Room Tip: Great location!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Vinod A, General Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Mrs. Michelle

Thank you for taking the time for share your experience at the Hilton Cartagena and give us a five (5) start rating! We appreciate it. We are happy to know that the hotel facilities, strategic location and team members hospitality allowed you to enjoy a great experience! Thanks for visiting our lovely city and choosing our property for your stay. Should your travels bring you back for business or pleasure, we would be delighted to welcoming you.