“How can you not love this place”

Sofitel Legend Santa Clara
Ranked #7 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here for pleasure with my wife and absolutely loved the place. We had the low end room but it was still magnificent. Great service! Very secure and welcoming. Food at the bar and restaurants were delightful. Best pool in Colombia as far as I am concerned. Great spa treatments as well. Not cheap but worth every dollar. Have stayed in multiple places in Cartagena and this is by far where you want to spend your time when not out and about.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LostInBogota
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear LostInBogota,

We really appreciate your comments about your stay at Sofitel Santa Clara, your feedback is very important to us. It is a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful time with us in our 17th century monument.
I will share your comments with our team.
Your kind comments are highly motivating as it is our priority to exceed our customers’ expectations.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Sicerely,

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,941)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Sure, it's expensive and sure when we pulled up with our luggage the two guys at the door looked right through us like we were made of glass, but hey, we can carry our own luggage to the front desk. It might've just been bad timing.
After that, everything was really great. We enjoyed our time at the pool very much and chatted with some other folks around us. It's a great little touristy neighborhood that surrounds the hotel and good food was easy to come by.
The interior courtyard is really beautiful and a real nice way to start the day with breakfast every morning. Interestingly, this being my first trip to Colombia, I had assumed I'd be surrounded with delicious coffee everywhere, but it turned out the best coffee I had in my 6-day trip was in the Santa Clara.
The pool staff was excellent, though if they would've just asked me from time to time, I'm sure they could've sold me twice as many drinks and snacks as I had ultimately purchased.
Our room on the 4th floor was perfect and room service/housekeeping was fast and courteous.
We watched a fun 3-piece band in the hotel's bar one night and there was great energy there for us 40-somethings. Again, the staff and architecture here really make you feel like you're someplace special.
Friends of ours in NYC recommended this hotel and we are glad to do the same.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear L_Americano,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Santa Clara. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team, especially with pool and housekeeping staff. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We spent two nights in a standard room at this wonderful hotel. Our extremely spacious guest room had a balcony overlooking the beautiful pool area. The bathroom was large with an excellent amenity package. Everything was first class: the linens, the service, the food at the café and the pool. The concierge desk personnel are so helpful and knowledgeable; they really enhanced our stay in Cartagena.

The hotel's architecture is interesting; it was built inside the walls of a 16th century monastery and constructed so that you can see where the old walls and the modern structure meet.

We ate dinner in 1621 Restaurant; it was great! Both the food and the service were excellent and the ambiance/décor was lovely.

The pool area is the perfect place to hang out and read a good book or work on your tan. The drinks from the pool bar are yummy as is the food.

I would happily stay at the Hotel Santa Clara again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lynnzie513,

At Sofitel Santa Clara our mission is to create unforgettable experiences for our guests, we are delighted to hear you had a memorable one, and for us is an honor to be a part of Cartagena´s World Heritage history.

We really appreciate your comments about your stay with us and we all hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel Santa Clara for 4 nights this February as a quick getaway from NYC. After a short 4 hour flight we were greeted at the airport by the hotel car and driver, who was cheerful and helpful with our bags, and we were whisked away to the resort. The hotel is located right inside the old city walls, very close to the airport, which is convenient. Upon entering the hotel, we were greeted by the bellman, hotel manager (David?) and members of the guest relations staff. Everyone was all smiles and made us feel very welcome. The hotel smells delicious and is absolutely gorgeous. Everything is 'open-air' and tropical. The lush green landscaping that you witness upon entering the hotel is beautiful, and there is an adorable, colorful toucan who hops around freely - he isn't afraid of the camera! The mix of 'old and new' design and decor does wonders. The hotel preserves the feel of the ancient monastery it once was with modernity at the same time. The pool grounds were spotless as was the entire resort. We had breakfast included with our stay and it was a pleasure to enjoy the buffet while eating outside overlooking the arches and trees. The food at the pool was very good, too. The staff go out of their way to hep you. Special thanks to Carlos and Osvaldo, our 'butlers, who provided excellent suggestions for dinner, lunch, shops and things to do (Santisimo, Vera, La Vitrola, Havana Club, Cafe del Mar for sunset, etc.)! They ensured we were happy and comfortable at all times. They were amazingly nice. The hotel grounds are very secure - we felt entirely safe the whole time. The old city is charming and walkable, which is great. You can feel the energy and history just wandering around. The location of the hotel was great and our room, which overlooked the pool and ocean, was cool and comfortable. We slept very well. We met Isabella, the chef of the hotel restaurant - 1621 - at a cocktail party hosted by the manager the first night we arrived. I chatted with her about some food restrictions I had and when we had dinner at her restaurant on the last night of our stay she personally came over to ensure everything was perfect. All of these special touches are what makes this hotel perfect. The hotel bar had delicious drinks and great live music. The wine/tapas bar was delicious as well. We hope to one day go back to Cartagena and will definitely stay at the Sofitel Santa Clara again!

Room Tip: I suggest room 410. While the bathroom seemed a tiny bit small, the room was renovated, near the ele...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear melanie457,

It is a real pleasure for us to hear that you had a wonderful stay in Cartagena and in the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara.

I will share your comments with our team, especially with Isabelle, Carlos and Osvaldo. I am sure that they will be very happy to know that they helped you to have a memorable experience with us.
Thank you very much for your feedback, your kind comments are highly motivating as it is our priority to exceed our customers’ expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in your next visit to Cartagena.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this legendary hotel to end my Panama-Colombia trip. So the expectation has been on the high side.
On arrival, with a modest normal taxi and not a limousine with body guards, and I, as a young looking casual appearing traveller, was not greeted at all at the door. I mean, there were 2 or 3 bell boys or uniformed staff (not security personnels), but no one even offered to help me with my lugguages. No problem, i can very well carry my belongings up the unwelcoming stairs of the entance. But what a pity, and so silly of them.
The lobby was beautiful i must say, and there was this bright colourful bird jumping around adding to the magical touch of the place... Could imagine it right out of Garcia Marquez's world.
I was assigned a room on the 4th floor facing the swimming pool with a side sea view. No complaint. Very happy. Front desk staff, very pretty and professional, my luck. Professional concierge. And a great friendly staff Carlos too.
The room, excuse me, has no relation with this legendary status of the premises, worn and torn, with all wooden skirting broken, the iron bars on the balcony were so rusted that some coud be just twisted and aken out with bare hands. I worried about famiy with small children seriously. The fridge is prehistoric, no cooling at all.
You can blame it on the heat or humdity, but please, all hotels in South East Asia are facing the same problem and in much better state. Say, the same hotel group, Metropol Hanoi. Much better.
The pool was nice, gets sun from 9am till 4pm. Pool staff ok too. I saw fellow guests bossing them around and they were always accomodating. Great.
On the room, now i left, i have to say.... There was this eerly strange sound coming out from the A/C duct every night, like someone trapped inside trying to get out... with a screwdriver. I convinced myself it was the very aged system that caused the noise, the ventilation in the bathrom was so noisy with zero effect too. But... it was not easy to sleep though i was exhausted every night oit of the heat and visits.
My room was not cleaned past 1pm and i needed to personally go to talk to the front desk to ave this solved.
Breakfast was generous with exotc fruits, and it was nice to have it in the patio, if oneca stand the heat and humidity.
Spa ok, worth trying. Great Sisley products and after spa treats.
Part of the hotel is really like a museum, but too bad no one offers a tour for guests, nor recommends guests to learn more. Again a pity.
Lots of work to do to live up to the legend. Bon courage ! I think the hotel has historical values and some good staff, but charges too much for the quality of the lousy room maintenance and facilities.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear ClovisNY1,

We thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Sofitel Santa Clara. We are sorry that your experience did not meet all your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

We deeply regret that his arrival has not been at the level the servicing and the warmth that characterizes our team. It is unusual for us to hear negative comments about it. You can rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to avoid future occurrence.
Regarding our rooms, we would like to share with you that, as part of our continuous improvement program, we have renewed all the Colonial Suites and we are continuing to renovate all the rooms of the hotel. We are already scheduled this renovation and we hope to finish it as soon as possible in order to give you the best service in five stars facilities.

I will share your comments with our team, especially with our bellmen and housekeeping service; I am sure that it will be an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This beautifully restored and modernized former convent satisfies the needs of the discriminating traveler, except for the occasional service lapse. The physical facility offers eye candy around every corner, including a huge Botero sculpture in the open inner court. The rooms are well decorated and spacious. The bathroom functions perfectly, and is roomy. The breakfast is ample and delicious. Staff is everywhere, and tries to please. Unfortunately, sometimes service is slow, but always friendly. Location is fine. If cost is no factor, this is the place to stay in Cartagena.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank leisurist

Dear leisurist,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed of our facilities and service.

I will share your comments with all our team.

We really appreciate your feedback and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara.

Andrea Gonzalez M.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here after 3 nights at JW Marriotts in Quito and Bogato, both of which were so much nicer than the Santa Clara. The biggest different was the level of English proficiency of the front desk staff and the concierge staff. In Quito and Bogato, we could actually have a conversation with the staff. At this hotel, it was like the staff had memorized answers to certain questions based on "key words" that they were listening for and had no idea that they only answered 1/2 of your question. The room we had was ok - floor was tile and the air conditioner was very noisy. The bathroom was small and a bit dark. The rooms are dated and could stand to be refreshed. Service in the dining room is very slow - especially if you order off the menu instead of eating the buffet (at lunch) and no one in the dining room that day could speak even minimal english. I had to go to the front desk to find someone to translate "how much longer will it take" after we had been waiting 50 minutes for a caesar salad and a cheese plate. The pool area is beautiful and if you want to sit by the pool you will not be disappointed. When asking for dinner recommendations, ask for local restaurants and not the overpriced tourist places that the concierge will recommend. We ate at an excellent italian place a few blocks from the hotel that we found by walking by. Tour guide recommended by the hotel (Nico) was very good - he has an impressive background.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily M

Dear Emily M,

We thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara. We are sorry that your experience did not meet all your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to avoid future occurrence.
We would like to share with you that, as part of our continuous improvement program, we have renewed all the Colonial Suites and we are continuing to renovate all the rooms of the hotel. We are already scheduled this renovation and we hope to finish it as soon as possible in order to give you the best service in five stars facilities. Also we have a complete training program for our staff that includes english lessons and which will allow us to continuously improve our services.

We appreciate your constructive comments after your visit and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.