“Book it and you won't regret it!”
Review of Hostel Mamallena

and 1 more site!
Hostel Mamallena
Madison Heights, Michigan
“Book it and you won't regret it!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I spent a month traveling both Colombia and Panama and Mamallena (Cartagena) was among the top hostels I stayed at. I felt safe, the staff was superb, the atmosphere relaxed, rooms/bathrooms clean, the price fair and the location perfect. My only complaint was that the 8 person dorm room upstairs had an air conditioning unit so intense that once it kicked on around 9 or 10pm the room turned into an icebox of frozen doom. If you didn't have an extra blanket with you or a towel to use as well as the sheet provided, you were in for a cold night. But hey, all things considered, if the worst part about Mamallena's is that they have an AC unit that works too good, I'd say they're not doing too bad! I must also make mention of the truly fantastic staff members!!! Absolutely terrific people who were so helpful, genuine and always at the ready. There was nothing I had to want or need for that wasn't made readily available by this fantastic crew.
Thanks again for making my first experience in Colombia a positive one!!!

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hostel achieves the hard balance of social, friendly vibe with a place you can relax and actually get some sleep. The room and shared bathroom was really clean, and although we only booked a room with a fan it was enough to keep cool at night. The location was perfect too with plenty of cheap eats around and a short walk into the old town. The staff were very friendly and helpful, with the owner Stuart involving himself directly with guests to ensure all their needs were met and seeking feedback on their services. This hostel ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I am a 38 year old Irish man travelling solo in south America. I have been in many hostels in Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia Chile Argentina and Brazil to date. This is one of the most fun and awesome easy going place I have come across!! Deeps, the fantastic unbreakable front desk lady Deeps, is just incredible. With 2 days notice I mailed the Hostel looking for a trek to the lost city, a boat to Panama and a place to stay. Deeps responded so quickly and with solutions that just amazed me. I am senior manager in Multinational companies for years, and this my friends was the best service I have received in south America to date, believe me!!, I was blown away with the lady Deeps knowledge, professionalism and a energy.. If your looking for clean, great clientele with a laid back ethos, then this is a the place for you!! I highly recommend it, to the fullest! And would definitely.... definitely come back here again mainly cause of Deeps, because she is the hardest working lady ever that can fix a problem or query so easily!!!! Come with a smile and a positive attitude and Deeps will take care of the rest! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Room Tip: Contact Deeps.....she is the best!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Great location for all backpackers, on the street where everything happens, close to attractions, bars and street food. Very user friendly hostel with helpful staff and good beds to sleep in.
Social bar out front always had decent music on as well and free shots!

• Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a great stay at Mamallenas. Perfect location, well maintained, great vibe and extremely friendly and helpful staff. It is a really social, lively hostel and would 100% recommend, especially if you like to have a good time.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I planned to stay four nights but I moved out after the first. It is very much noise in the inner court yard, even is someone is talkning it feels like there are standing in your room.
Party all night, the person that worked at night did not care, I personally had to try to tell some people to stop praticing Spanish outside my door at 5 am.
I was woken up constantly during the night from people heading home and I am not easy to wake up normally.
In the morning one of the employes "trained" a parrot to say something, meaning repeating the same sentence like 500 times. Extremly annoying to listen to at 7 am...and a parrot in a hostel...if I knew I would never had gone there.
When I checked out earlier they just told me they were sorry and that other people also had complained...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostel Mamallena, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
These reviews continue to amaze me, stating things that have been said before and that are obvious when you enter. You knew the price and you saw the room before accepting it. You walked through our courtyard and saw all the tables and chairs to get to your room, you must have known it would be in use. It is a hostel and it was Saturday night. While we don't let people make noise in the courtyard at night people still do continue to do it, especially when they come home after a night out. We do our best but we're not their mum, nor yours. We didn't train the parrot to annoy you!! We didn't train the parrot to say anything, its a parrot and thats what they do. We actually do try to keep it locked away in the mornings and it comes out later. Most people like it hanging around at breakfast and interacting with every one.

All in all we do our best to control the people that are here, but they're all adults as are you. There is nothing wrong with you asking people to be quiet and we expect people to take responsibility as well as our staff.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We loved our stay at Mamallena's in Cartagena. It's in a great location, the staff are friendly, professional and really helpful!

We had a private double room withe ac which was really reasonable, clean, spacious and comfortable.

The hostel is really social - there is a bar at the front which has a happy hour everyday (awesome cocktails). There is also a large patio area in front of the private rooms with plenty of seating where you can meet fellow travellers. Despite the patio being directly outside our bedroom, we didn't find it too noisy. The staff are good at moving on any late night socialisers around 11:00/11:30pm to the bar area.

I would definitely recommend a stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Casa762, Owner at Hostel Mamallena, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We're really happy that you enjoyed your stay here. We need more people like yourself :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartagena
Mucura Club Hotel
Hotel Marina Suites
Hotel Marina Suites
#110 of 153 in Cartagena
El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Been to Hostel Mamallena? Share your experiences!