“Just fine, but rude manager.”

Hotel Boutique las Carretas
Ranked #17 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Miami, Florida
“Just fine, but rude manager.”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Service problems started before I even arrived. I tried emailing them directly to make a booking to save them the commission charged by online travel agents (a courtesy, I try to do when I travel, since I work in hospitality...). I never received a response, so I booked through Expedia. When I arrived, the desk staff was friendly, but the manager woman was definitely not. She demanded to see a printout of my reservation from Expedia, even though my booking was in their system. No smile, no polite language, nothing. After verifying my reservation, she promptly left. The desk girl, completing my reservation then tried to charge me a higher rate than what I booked on expedia. I told her politely (she was very friendly, unlike her boss) at the desk I would not pay more than what I was quoted on Expedia. She then phoned the manager woman, whereever she had disappeared to, and asked her what rate to charge me. The manager then quoted the Expedia price.

The room was fine. Spacious and good AC. Bathroom was tiny. Super tight and the shower head was broken. Other than that, the place was fine. Not sure it was worth the price, but the location was good.

It'd be fine if their service was better.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is beautifully designed and layed out perfectly in the heart and soul of "El Centro" in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.The staff was great very helpful and attentive at all times day or night regardless of the time. Beautiful old colonial home and covers all the basic needs of the average traveler. The room was very spacious and the bed was exceptionally comfortable and the food was very good quality. The room was equipped with cable tv, a nice bathroom and shower + mini-fridge and a safe to house all your personal items during the stay. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Cartagena. I will be back soon myself! Great Location, Great Staff, Great Times!!! December 2012

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and at an angle that deflects the sun at sunrise keeping the room cooler th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Pros: Staff, free breakfast, location, room
Cons: Pool was closed during our stay (for unknown reason,) WiFi was unreliable

We decided to cut our trip to The Old Town a few days short and the manager (not sure of her name) was very accommodating. She even gave us a souvenir upon check-out.

*The young man working at the front desk (Carlos,) was very helpful and friendly. He recommended some great places to visit in Cartagena and greeted us with a smile each time we saw him! What a great person to have working at your hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The hotel is in a beautifully renovated old colonial home and covers all the basic needs of the average traveller. Nice and clean room, with a very simple but beautiful decoration including air conditioning, fair-size bathroom and shower + mini-fridge and safe.
We went through a lot of reviews of other same-standard hotels within the walls of Cartagena that were recommended in the latest edition of the Lonely Planet guide (and a lot of them had reports of theft on Trip Advisors so be carefull not to take their recommended hotels for granted). And we finally decided to go for Las Carretas (upon friends' recommendation) and we loved it.
It is well located indeed, but I think that what really made the difference was the quality of the service (which definitely did not seem to be the case in some other hotels). We got great recommendations from Adrianna for excursions and bus trip to Santa Marta and felt very safe following her suggestions. Which makes a difference in such a tourist-oriented place. The rest of the staff without any exception was very kind and helpful.
As far as the pool is concerned, it is much smaller than what it looks like on their website, but it was always clean and was enough if the purpose was to cool down or play with your toddler.

Gorgeous boutique hotel, fair price, great service and perfect spot if you want to discover the heart of this gorgeous city!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suncharlotte
Sacramento
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was here for my best friend's wedding in July 2012. My friends and I found this hotel via tripadvisor.com and hotels.com. When my friend emailed them to inquire about getting discounted rates for our wedding party, they replied quickly (worked with Adriana) and were able to accomodate our entire party. We were pleasantly surprised and a bit nervous that they had a lot of rooms available for the wedding week. A lot of the other hotels that we've checked with prior had already been booked so of course we wondered why they had so many open rooms. Come to find out, they had just opened several months ago, so many people didn't know that this hotel was around. We went ahead a booked several rooms and we were anxiously awaiting our trip to Cartagena.

Upon arriving to the hotel, I was not disappointed. I'm pretty particular with hotels as I've had to travel quite a bit for work and pleasure. The hotel was super clean! I stayed in the suite, which was awesome. They were very spacious, beds were neat and very comfortable. They had satellite tv, but we rarely watched it since we were always away from the hotel. Their AC units and ceiling fans worked flawlessly, which is a must in Cartagena! The bathrooms were very clean. Breakfast was included in the price, which also was very tasty. Typical breakfast included eggs, bread, empanadas and coffee.

The staff was more than helpful during our stay. Considering that I didn't brush up on Spanish before my trip, it was nice to work with Adriana since her English was pretty good. Communicating with some of the other staff was a little difficult since they didn't know as much english, however, they were very patient with my broken spanish. They even knew us by first name by our 2nd night's stay. Awesome. They helped up book our trip to Volcan de Lodo El Totumo and our taxi to Santa Marta, Colombia. They also offer laundry services via another vender, however it was fairly cheap and my clothes were cleaned, folded and/or pressed by the end of the day.

Another example of their hospitality. My friends wedding reception was held at another hotel, which we ended up staying for one night. I had rebooked another two nights at Las Carretas after the wedding, and Adriana was more than willing to allow us to keep majority of our luggage at the hotel so we didn't have to haul everything. If I ever get the opportunity to visit Cartagena, I plan to book at Las Carretas again. I had a great experience here and the city is so beautiful.

Random tip: There is a hotdog stand next to the Parroquia De La Santisima Trinidad. Best Colombian hot dogs ever! Get the Choriperro. The patacones con todos looked amazing too. Combine that with a Club Colombia or Aguila beer: great meal!

Room Tip: The suites and premium rooms are along the street side. I didn't hear much noise from the suite...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dennis G
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel is in a beautifully renovated old colonial home that is located inside the Old Town of Cartagena (close to the Torre del Reloj and the main city gates). The neighborhood is great, right by the street with all the sweet vendors, and also convenient to taxis (taxi-stand is located right by the city gates) if you wanted to do any trips.

The rooms are nicely decorated and retain the colonial home atmosphere, while also being very comfortable with the necessary modern conveniences. The room & bathroom were really cute (loved the decorative touches & original motifs) while also being very functional and pristine. Beds were comfortable, and the air-conditioning was powerful (essential for the hot & humid weather). The room also contained an empty refrigerator for your own items.

Breakfast is included, and is very tasty. It comprised of coffee, fresh orange juice, fruit, eggs, breads, and a different local colombian specialty each day.

The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. They helped me with various issues during my stay, and I can't say enough good things about them.

The hotel doesn't have elevators, and all rooms are either on the 2nd or 3rd floors (but there are porters that will help with the luggage). The pool is tiny, and on the third floor. I didn't see anyone using it during our stay (so if you require a nice pool, this is probably not the hotel for you). I thought the hotel very well-priced ($148 for a deluxe twin room) and I would definitely stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: While the standard rooms are nice, the deluxe rooms and suites are more spacious and don't cost...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed in this fabulous hotel with my girlfriend and cannot describe how wonderful the hotel has been to us. The room was incredibly romantic, befitting for the Old City itself, which is beautiful in its on right. The staff were so friendly and willing to accommodate all of our needs, which to us was very important. Breakfast was delicious: fresh orange juice accompanied by freshly made omlettes, patacones and coffee. I would recommend this hotel to just about anybody but particularly to couples who want to have a romantic time in a tranquil, private environment, I hope that they have the same experience that my girlfriend and I shared in this beautiful, boutique hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple